Pod Your Reef

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, FishBoy69 said:

I was worried about this when i first started my tank but I've had nothing but success with hermits and snails. I've also put a shit ton of shells in my tank for the hermits to hop in and out of. My hermits have almost double in size these past few weeks it seems. If anything, my hermits have helped to clear out dying snails. I had one astraea that seemed like it was gonna go, and next day my hermits had it gone. We'll see how i feel in a couple months tho, but for right now, I'm happy with my crabs. 

So far all the hermits I've had have been ok. When I first started my tank, they went on a murder spree lol. Now that it's seasoned well, they have plenty to eat :wink:.

7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Just do it!!! I kind of drew it out after looking at some really good pictures of sump plumbing and then sent my husband out to get the stuff. We used PVC pipes and connectors, ball valves to turn off the pipes. And lots of PVC glue.

It really boils down to laziness :lol:. I have to get a couple measurements and i'd probably be good to go. I really need to just do it already. The big tank i'm not in a rush. I want it to be done right the first time. I'm taking my time, plus I have to save money, way too many hobbies and not enough time or money for them all.

• Like 3
ECLS Reefer
10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So far all the hermits I've had have been ok. When I first started my tank, they went on a murder spree lol. Now that it's seasoned well, they have plenty to eat :wink:.

It really boils down to laziness :lol:. I have to get a couple measurements and i'd probably be good to go. I really need to just do it already. The big tank i'm not in a rush. I want it to be done right the first time. I'm taking my time, plus I have to save money, way too many hobbies and not enough time or money for them all.

I go through phases like that, working basically 14-15 hour days and then having homework on my days off, plus care for three fish tanks and at the moment, one QT tub. And children. And dogs. And a cat and kitten. Sometimes it all gets a little overwhelming because not everybody helps out with the labor on the tanks and I've also always been one of those people that can do it better and faster by myself, so delegating stuff out like testing parameters or cleaning parts or something is hard for me to do. Anal retentiveness can be a good and a bad thing 😂

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I go through phases like that, working basically 14-15 hour days and then having homework on my days off, plus care for three fish tanks and at the moment, one QT tub. And children. And dogs. And a cat and kitten. Sometimes it all gets a little overwhelming because not everybody helps out with the labor on the tanks and I've also always been one of those people that can do it better and faster by myself, so delegating stuff out like testing parameters or cleaning parts or something is hard for me to do. Anal retentiveness can be a good and a bad thing 😂

Oh yeah I totally get that :lol:. I have a bit of ocd and my wife doesn't help with that at all. She kills with her messiness. As for tank stuff, that's all me along with the reptiles. I have lots of stuff to do generally and it's hard to get in a groove. Especially now that i'm back in bowling very heavily. I'm really trying to get back in the form I was 13 years ago. People think i'm kidding when I say I wanna be pro or close to it by next year. :wink:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, FishBoy69 said:

I was worried about this when i first started my tank but I've had nothing but success with hermits and snails. I've also put a shit ton of shells in my tank for the hermits to hop in and out of. My hermits have almost double in size these past few weeks it seems. If anything, my hermits have helped to clear out dying snails. I had one astraea that seemed like it was gonna go, and next day my hermits had it gone. We'll see how i feel in a couple months tho, but for right now, I'm happy with my crabs. 

Yeah am to the point that I dont give a shit anymore :lol: I get snails and the wrasses eat them.............so F it am just  going to get a bunch of blue legs or something and see what happens........I need something to pick on the rocks.........

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, spectra said:

Yeah am to the point that I dont give a shit anymore :lol: I get snails and the wrasses eat them.............so F it am just  going to get a bunch of blue legs or something and see what happens........I need something to pick on the rocks.........

I'm may even cave and get a fricken emerald crab soon just to get the spots where even the hermits can't reach

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, FishBoy69 said:

I'm may even cave and get a fricken emerald crab soon just to get the spots where even the hermits can't reach

I actually have one of those in a 14 IM I have............yashi shrimp combo are the only ones in there also.............

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
53 minutes ago, spectra said:

I like the dwarf blue legs! They're more colorful than the boring black or reds. I have a few scarlet reef herms, two Halloweens, two electric blues. Plus one strawberry monster in each. They make for an interesting crew to watch, and so far no one has eaten a snail. Not even when they die, which becomes an annoyance. Now, the electric blue ate the little blue clam I got within about a week, so that sucked. Picked the shell spotless, like it was never even there.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well a quick update guys. I am now the proud owner of a waterbox 20 cube. This thing is amazing. I ended up setting it up on sunday and what a pain in the ass of a time I had. Long story short on that.... lets say don't try and pump water from the basement to the new tank by yourself 🤣. I ended up just using all new water and it pissed a few things off. They are doing well right now. It's so nice to not have a sea of gha. I did things a lot different with the setup. I actually planned out the scape really good this time. I have room for growth and I have so much more room to work with. I can also see the tank from all sides, which I couldn't do before cause it was corner tank. 

I decided to go bare bottom because I'm done with having to clean sand. I actually like the bare bottom look, so I'm not at all mad I went this route. I had to scrub the hell out of my rocks because I had so much algae in spots I couldn't reach. All in all I ended up getting 8 pounds of life rock from my boys at wet pets and then used another 8ish pounds of rock from the old tank(after I scrubbed for a long ass time) which came out really nice. 

Ok, so enough typing, lets get to the good stuff. These are the only pics I have at the moment. I promise I'll get some better pictures up. 😀

IMG_20190721_205012.jpg

IMG_20190721_194859.jpg

IMG_20190721_164338.jpg

IMG_20190721_160931.jpg

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Well a quick update guys. I am now the proud owner of a waterbox 20 cube. This thing is amazing. I ended up setting it up on sunday and what a pain in the ass of a time I had. Long story short on that.... lets say don't try and pump water from the basement to the new tank by yourself 🤣. I ended up just using all new water and it pissed a few things off. They are doing well right now. It's so nice to not have a sea of gha. I did things a lot different with the setup. I actually planned out the scape really good this time. I have room for growth and I have so much more room to work with. I can also see the tank from all sides, which I couldn't do before cause it was corner tank. 

I decided to go bare bottom because I'm done with having to clean sand. I actually like the bare bottom look, so I'm not at all mad I went this route. I had to scrub the hell out of my rocks because I had so much algae in spots I couldn't reach. All in all I ended up getting 8 pounds of life rock from my boys at wet pets and then used another 8ish pounds of rock from the old tank(after I scrubbed for a long ass time) which came out really nice. 

Ok, so enough typing, lets get to the good stuff. These are the only pics I have at the moment. I promise I'll get some better pictures up. 😀

IMG_20190721_205012.jpg

IMG_20190721_194859.jpg

IMG_20190721_164338.jpg

IMG_20190721_160931.jpg

It looks nice there. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It looks nice there. 😊

Yeah I really like it. It's so nice to be able to see my tank sitting in my main living room. I have stared at the tank more the last 3 days than I have actually watched the tv 😄

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I think I'm gonna try my hand at a cheap acropora 🤔. What do you think?

Why not? 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Congrates the new set up looks very nice.

Thanks, this is my first brand new tank 😀. I don't know why I never got a cube before 😁. Time to fill this tank up

3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Why not? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Being scared 😂. I'm gonna wait a little.... possible new tank syndrome. So far my montis seem to be ok. One is a little rough looking because of the move. I'm gonna get better pics as soon as I can.

Just now, FISHnChix said:

Nice ! Looking forward to watching this guy fill in.  

Yeah me too🍻

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

New set up looks great

Thanks man :smilie: Now I just have to keep it nice looking. I did notice it evaporates quick in my living room. I'm gonna be grabbing an autoaqua ato today.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Thanks man :smilie: Now I just have to keep it nice looking. I did notice it evaporates quick in my living room. I'm gonna be grabbing an autoaqua ato today.

Evaporation is crazy at the minute for me too

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I wonder what I should do about the corals that are on the bottom of the tank.... I have the flow pretty strong in there and I noticed that they kinda get blow around some. I wonder if I should use a small piece of the two part epoxy to hold them in place. I wasn't going to use super glue cause I want to be able to move the frag if I have too. Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I wonder what I should do about the corals that are on the bottom of the tank.... I have the flow pretty strong in there and I noticed that they kinda get blow around some. I wonder if I should use a small piece of the two part epoxy to hold them in place. I wasn't going to use super glue cause I want to be able to move the frag if I have too. Any thoughts?

Could you temporarily baffle the flow at all? Bit of plexi glass or whatever its called to create an calmer spot? 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Could you temporarily baffle the flow at all? Bit of plexi glass or whatever its called to create an calmer spot? 

Hmm, I've thought about turning the flow down some, but the two montis enjoy the high flow. Since i'm at work all day I can't see how exactly the frags move, but I'm thinking the clownfish could possible be moving them too. She likes messing with things in the tank. I still am not sold on where I've put the loose frags yet. I may arrange them a little different. I figure if I just use a little epoxy I should be able to scrap it off the glass without making it look like shit.

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hmm, I've thought about turning the flow down some, but the two montis enjoy the high flow. Since i'm at work all day I can't see how exactly the frags move, but I'm thinking the clownfish could possible be moving them too. She likes messing with things in the tank. I still am not sold on where I've put the loose frags yet. I may arrange them a little different. I figure if I just use a little epoxy I should be able to scrap it off the glass without making it look like shit.

Or stick a rock in the way, would work as well as a baffle 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Or stick a rock in the way, would work as well as a baffle 

not a bad idea...I actually have quite a few small pieces of rubble from when I tore the old tank down on sunday. It's still in a bucket of old tank water :sideeyes:

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
12 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I think I'm gonna try my hand at a cheap acropora 🤔. What do you think?

I did that when I had the original Evo set up and it didn’t end well. I hear having a well established tank and ridiculously expensive lights helps. My SCA is 4.5 months now but I’m sure my lights won’t ever get near what acros want so I’m not gonna bother until I hit the lottery and can buy a bank of AI Primes, T5s, radions, kessils and all- my house is gonna look like Griswald’s at Christmas!!! 😉

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I did that when I had the original Evo set up and it didn’t end well. I hear having a well established tank and ridiculously expensive lights helps. My SCA is 4.5 months now but I’m sure my lights won’t ever get near what acros want so I’m not gonna bother until I hit the lottery and can buy a bank of AI Primes, T5s, radions, kessils and all- my house is gonna look like Griswald’s at Christmas!!! 😉

I have the prime hd so i'd have to imagine that would be enough. I built the rock up high enough so it's closer to surface. I don't know, i'll see what my lfs has in the next few months.

• Like 2