inTank Media Baskets

Dave's 20g glass box 🎉 Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
55 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Does your CUC have an emerald crab? Mine has been slowly cutting down all the GHA

I do have one, he's a lazy pos :wink:. He'd rather eat my macro algae :lol:

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I've decided that I'm worrying way too much about this transfer. I'm just gonna use everything that's in there minus the sand. I'm getting new sand and only using about a half inch. Sand is annoying and i'd rather not have a nutrient trap lol. I'd go bare bottom, but I do like the look of sand so i'll have just a little bit. I'm going to scrub the shit out of the rocks, rinse and throw them in the new tank.

I'm going to be getting a 32 gallon brute container and i'll make up a shit load of saltwater just in case and I already have a few bottles of prime on  hand. I'm thinking I might get one of the ammonia badges though so I know if there is an issue right away. I'm also going to grab a brand new heater and see if I can find an intank media basket for it.

I think I'm ready for this to happen, just have to move the living room around to fit the tank. 

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
22 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I do have one, he's a lazy pos :wink:. He'd rather eat my macro algae :lol:

Mine was a good eater and now he’s pretty lazy too. But he at least keeps his little garden of GHA in check. There’s just this one little patch and he’s never far from it.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Mine was a good eater and now he’s pretty lazy too. But he at least keeps his little garden of GHA in check. There’s just this one little patch and he’s never far from it.

It's funny cause I just found a couple small patches of bubble algae and he hasn't touched it. I had to suck it out the other night during a water change.

ECLS Reefer
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

It's funny cause I just found a couple small patches of bubble algae and he hasn't touched it. I had to suck it out the other night during a water change.

Bad crab!

• Haha 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Bad crab!

Right?! Such a little shit lol. I love that crab though, he's really cool.

• Like 1

I wouldn't toss out your nice seasoned rock. The new dry rock will likely go through algae phase too. 

Manually remove what you can...keep the tanks debris under control by regularly blasting the rock with a baster and keeping the sand clean.

Then toss in a Mexican turbo and a tuxedo urchin unless you want to keep the macro. 

Trochus seem to do a good job eating it if it is pruned short and people hate hermits but they eat a shit ton of algae for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I wouldn't toss out your nice seasoned rock. The new dry rock will likely go through algae phase too. 

Manually remove what you can...keep the tanks debris under control by regularly blasting the rock with a baster and keeping the sand clean.

Then toss in a Mexican turbo and a tuxedo urchin unless you want to keep the macro. 

Trochus seem to do a good job eating it if it is pruned short and people hate hermits but they eat a shit ton of algae for me. 

I love all my hermits! Why do people hate hermits? Other than them rearranging everything but I love watching them.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
57 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

That's a good point Tamberav, I'm gonna roll with my seasoned rock. I have a nice cuc now so hopefully once the transfer happens they will keep any algae at bay.

Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

I love all my hermits! Why do people hate hermits? Other than them rearranging everything but I love watching them.

I actually don't mind them, but they do like to murder snails lol.

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

That's a good point Tamberav, I'm gonna roll with my seasoned rock. I have a nice cuc now so hopefully once the transfer happens they will keep any algae at bay.

I actually don't mind them, but they do like to murder snails lol.

I’ve never had one do that! Maybe I just feed my tank so much they have no need.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
10 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So, since I've been having algae issues in this tank some of the rocks are covered in hair algae in spots that I just cant reach. I'm torn as I don't want to add hair algae to the new tank. I tossed around the idea of just kinda starting over with new rock and a few pieces of rock that are already seasoned from this tank. Worst case I just scrub the hell out of the rocks I have and fingers crossed I get no issues.

Will see what happens, new tank will be here on weds, all the salt I ordered from live aquaria should be here Thursday and tank should be getting setup on sunday.

You probably have a rock or rocks that are leaching phosphates. I wouldn't go out and buy more rock unless you can find some good stuff. I have 1 piece of rock that grows hair algae and the green Hulk hermits live on that piece of rock, lol. I will have some more Hulks Sunday when I get back from NC.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

You probably have a rock or rocks that are leaching phosphates. I wouldn't go out and buy more rock unless you can find some good stuff. I have 1 piece of rock that grows hair algae and the green Hulk hermits live on that piece of rock, lol. I will have some more Hulks Sunday when I get back from NC.

I have a feeling it's coming from stuff trapped in sand next to rocks by the glass that I can't clean. I have a lot of spots where stuff gets trapped. That's why I'm glad I decided to buy a cube tank. Now I can make a scape that looks good and allows me to clean really well. Plus I'm gonna have a little sand so cleaning should be so much easier. I'm gonna take my experiences with this tank and rework it so it's more practical. I think I wanna add that marine pure block so I can have a little less rock in the display. I mean I only have one fish so I don't need too much rock.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Got my new tank today 🤘 now I'm just waiting on the salt which should be here tomorrow as well as my new rodi cartridges and more alk reagent. That tank is gorgeous and I can't wait till Sunday to set it up.

I'm going to be getting a 32 gallon brute trash can for the salt water. This should be fun

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Got my new tank today 🤘 now I'm just waiting on the salt which should be here tomorrow as well as my new rodi cartridges and more alk reagent. That tank is gorgeous and I can't wait till Sunday to set it up.

I'm going to be getting a 32 gallon brute trash can for the salt water. This should be fun

Nice hooray new tank day! And all the included new tank day things and procedures! Its been so long since I've done a new aquarium!!

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 hours ago, pgrVII said:

Nice hooray new tank day! And all the included new tank day things and procedures! Its been so long since I've done a new aquarium!!

This is the first brand new tank I have ever bought. Even for my reptiles, those have all been used. I ended up grabbing a waterbox 20 and that thing is so nice. It's my first AIO tank so i'm gonna have to figure out some things. It's neat it actually has a filter sock. I looked at those intank baskets and not sure if I should end up grabbing that.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

This is the first brand new tank I have ever bought. Even for my reptiles, those have all been used. I ended up grabbing a waterbox 20 and that thing is so nice. It's my first AIO tank so i'm gonna have to figure out some things. It's neat it actually has a filter sock. I looked at those intank baskets and not sure if I should end up grabbing that.

Grab the @inTank basketsband their bonded blue floss,it makes things super nice. Gotta love wet water. I run 2 in the lagoon great investment. 

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Grab the @inTank basketsband their bonded blue floss,it makes things super nice. Gotta love wet water. I run 2 in the lagoon great investment. 

the filter sock will be ok for a few weeks though right? I should clean that think at least twice a week correct?

I just can't wait to hide everthing in the back chamber. I'm so tired of having the heater, temp prob and ato in the display. It looks awful lol.

8 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

the filter sock will be ok for a few weeks though right? I should clean that think at least twice a week correct?

I just can't wait to hide everthing in the back chamber. I'm so tired of having the heater, temp prob and ato in the display. It looks awful lol.

Yea that shouldnt be a problem while cycling. They will dirty up quick once the tank is running though,I got rid of mine as soon as I could lol good water polishers but clog fast with wastes.

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

Yea that shouldnt be a problem while cycling. They will dirty up quick once the tank is running though,I got rid of mine as soon as I could lol good water polishers but clog fast with wastes.

you know what... I can put filter floss right on top of the sock holder :wink:. It has a shelf and I have a roll of the white and blue floss pad. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

ohh and I won't have to cycle it. I'm transferring all my stuff from my 20 high. Just have to scrub the hell out of my rocks :smilie:

ECLS Reefer
4 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I like both the little Evo for its small footprint and the SCA with the sump- I think AIOs make it perfect to put small tanks in out of the way places like countertops, while you get so much more flexibility in a sump. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
30 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I like both the little Evo for its small footprint and the SCA with the sump- I think AIOs make it perfect to put small tanks in out of the way places like countertops, while you get so much more flexibility in a sump. 

I figure once this tank is up and running and stable, I can start to buy stuff for the 75. Poor thing is just sitting there all empty and shit. Worst part is I have almost everthing to at least get water in it :lol:

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I figure once this tank is up and running and stable, I can start to buy stuff for the 75. Poor thing is just sitting there all empty and shit. Worst part is I have almost everthing to at least get water in it :lol:

You could let it just cycle forever and then it'd be ready when you are

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You could let it just cycle forever and then it'd be ready when you are

True, if I had the plumbing :lol:. That's where I have stalled on buying things. Everytime I think about trying to buy the plumbing my mind goes "wtf am I gonna get??" Then I move on to something else lol

• Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

True, if I had the plumbing :lol:. That's where I have stalled on buying things. Everytime I think about trying to buy the plumbing my mind goes "wtf am I gonna get??" Then I move on to something else lol

Just do it!!! I kind of drew it out after looking at some really good pictures of sump plumbing and then sent my husband out to get the stuff. We used PVC pipes and connectors, ball valves to turn off the pipes. And lots of PVC glue.

• Like 1
On 1/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, spectra said:

I hate crabs in the tank........I try and get snails only. Crabs seem to kill snails......

I was worried about this when i first started my tank but I've had nothing but success with hermits and snails. I've also put a shit ton of shells in my tank for the hermits to hop in and out of. My hermits have almost double in size these past few weeks it seems. If anything, my hermits have helped to clear out dying snails. I had one astraea that seemed like it was gonna go, and next day my hermits had it gone. We'll see how i feel in a couple months tho, but for right now, I'm happy with my crabs. 

• Like 2