Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ok, I ordered seachem two part today. I checked my alk tonight and It is down to 7.3 from 7.7 on sunday. I did test 3 hours later so I don't know if that will make a difference, but I'm kinda worried.. I probably wont get the 2 part till the weekend or early next week. I wonder if I should say #### it do a water change and wait till the 2 part gets here and then try the flux rx again.Ā 

Ā 

edit: I'm freaking out a little , how far is an acceptable drop before I should dose. I do water changes every week so I haven't really gone this long with out a change...

Iā€™m no help with that kind of stuff. šŸ˜•

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Iā€™m no help with that kind of stuff. šŸ˜•

I'm in uncharted territory at the moment. I talked with jbb last night through dm's and he walked me through his process. I just don't wanna #### anything up, you know?

• Like 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm in uncharted territory at the moment. I talked with jbb last night through dm's and he walked me through his process. I just don't wanna #### anything up, you know?

Heard that.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Everything looks fine with the corals and fish, so I guess I shouldn't worry, but I do have water on stand by just in case. I have the live aquaria salt so I'll be able to mix up new water in a hurry now.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Heard that.

Oh you to talked to jbb? I felt weird dming him, but I didn't want to bring up a 2 year old thread. He was super helpfull

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh you to talked to jbb? I felt weird dming him, but I didn't want to bring up a 2 year old thread. He was super helpfull

No. šŸ˜‚

Ā 

i was just agreeing with you.Ā 

Ā 

You:Ā ā€œ I donā€™t want my tank to dieā€

Ā 

me: ā€œheard thatā€

Ā 

šŸ˜

Ā 

Ā 

• Haha 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

No. šŸ˜‚

Ā 

i was just agreeing with you.Ā 

Ā 

You:Ā ā€œ I donā€™t want my tank to dieā€

Ā 

me: ā€œheard thatā€

Ā 

šŸ˜

Ā 

Ā 

LMAO Yeah didn't even pick up on that.. sorry it's late, Jbb was really helpful thoughĀ 

• Haha 1
Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

LMAO Yeah didn't even pick up on that.. sorry it's late, Jbb was really helpful thoughĀ 

Ā 

Well thatā€™s good. šŸ˜Š

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

What does the salt you use mix up at ?

Ā 

Have you checked the Cal ?

Ā 

I try to keep ALK at about 8 to 8.5

Yeah I have been slacking on testing. Cal is usually around 450, alk is usually around 9.9, but that's with salifert and the color changing. I just used the hanna checker for the first time on sunday and it came out to 7.7.Ā 

I wonder if I should just say #### it and start the process over. Get some good solid numbers then decide on what to do from there.

34 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Ok, I ordered seachem two part today. I checked my alk tonight and It is down to 7.3 from 7.7 on sunday. I did test 3 hours later so I don't know if that will make a difference, but I'm kinda worried.. I probably wont get the 2 part till the weekend or early next week. I wonder if I should say #### it do a water change and wait till the 2 part gets here and then try the flux rx again.Ā 

Ā 

edit: I'm freaking out a little , how far is an acceptable drop before I should dose. I do water changes every week so I haven't really gone this long with out a change...

You can go to Maomart and get some pickling lime to add to your make up water. That will hold you until your order gets there. TBH, all I use at home and the shop is pickling lime, kalkwasser if you wanna sprecken zie.

• Like 2

I have been one who never tested :lol: I hated doing it........hell even no regular water changes either.......then the 2 part went dry and lost a lot of shit..........

Ā 

So now I try to test a little more........and keep things in check.

Ā 

Cant hurt to do a 5 gallon change if your only running 25 or so......

• Like 2
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

You can go to Maomart and get some pickling lime to add to your make up water. That will hold you until your order gets there. TBH, all I use at home and the shop is pickling lime, kalkwasser if you wanna sprecken zie.

Yup what is it mrs wags or something like that............its been a long time since I got some.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, StinkyBunny said:

Good to know, I'm new to having to do this so I have no clue what to do. I really just need to re-set my baseline and then I'll know exactly what to do. Jbb said that the medicine takes longer than 14 days, said his tank took over 30 then all the gha just died off.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

I have been one who never tested :lol: I hated doing it........hell even no regular water changes either.......then the 2 part went dry and lost a lot of shit..........

Ā 

So now I try to test a little more........and keep things in check.

Ā 

Cant hurt to do a 5 gallon change if your only running 25 or so......

Yeah I stopped regularly testing about 3 months ago. I started to realize how the corals looked and I was able to gauge how it was doing by looking at them. I have all my records on the aquarium note app so I can look back. I like the the do a quick water change though. I have the water on stand by just in case, so I'm at least prepared for that. I still can't find what a ok amount of drop is. Any ideas? is .5 too much?

I only have lps and softies so I didn't think they were using that much alk up. Also I wonder how much 3 hours actually makes a difference in results.

3 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah I stopped regularly testing about 3 months ago. I started to realize how the corals looked and I was able to gauge how it was doing by looking at them. I have all my records on the aquarium note app so I can look back. I like the the do a quick water change though. I have the water on stand by just in case, so I'm at least prepared for that. I still can't find what a ok amount of drop is. Any ideas? is .5 too much?

I only have lps and softies so I didn't think they were using that much alk up. Also I wonder how much 3 hours actually makes a difference in results.

Dont over think it............just add a little and test afterwords......make sure you have a baseline to start.

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Dont over think it............just add a little and test afterwords......make sure you have a baseline to start.

This is the first time since starting the tank that i've been worried about anything. Its been smooth sailing and now I've hit my first real snag. You're right, I'll try not to worry much, that will just make me do something stupid and really #### things up. I'm gonna test alk tomorrow and see if it levels off. Definitely going to make salt water and test it see how the new salt mixes up.

Thanks Spectra and @StinkyBunnyĀ 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Good to know, I'm new to having to do this so I have no clue what to do. I really just need to re-set my baseline and then I'll know exactly what to do. Jbb said that the medicine takes longer than 14 days, said his tank took over 30 then all the gha just died off.

Agreed it will take just over 30 days for gha.. and then maybe even a second treatment.Ā  Dosing is the key when you cant do a water change.Ā  As long as your corals look ok then dont stress on lower levels too much.Ā  That being said I wouldnt have started it until I was ready to dose lmao..Ā  most importantly dont raise your alk back up too fast!! They say you can do 1dkh a day but I would do half that and just watch the corals and if they react poorly just stop bringing it up until they look good again

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
5 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Agreed it will take just over 30 days for gha.. and then maybe even a second treatment.Ā  Dosing is the key when you cant do a water change.Ā  As long as your corals look ok then dont stress on lower levels too much.Ā  That being said I wouldnt have started it until I was ready to dose lmao..Ā  most importantly dont raise your alk back up too fast!! They say you can do 1dkh a day but I would do half that and just watch the corals and if they react poorly just stop bringing it up until they look good again

yeah if I was smart lol. I normally plan things out really well, but this time not so much. I really didn't think they were using that much alk to be honest. Having the hanna checker makes it so much less time consuming so i have no problem testing everyday. I wonder if I was seeing the colors wrong using salifert and maybe my alk has always been this. Thanks for the warning on the raising of alk, always a good reminder. I really need a baseline using the hanna checker though.

A Little Blue

Didnā€™t know that this was your thread....šŸ™„

Well, donā€™t overreactĀ is a solid advice. 7.7 is nothing to panic about. I had Alk drop from 9.5 to 6.2 once while trying to figure out new dosing pumps and nothing happened. If that was a gradual drop then I wouldnā€™t even worry about it.Ā 

IfĀ you wanna bring it up, do it slowely.Ā 

Increase your dosage slightly till you notice a rise of your Alk. When you reach your preferred number, lower dosage slightly. You might need do follow up withĀ small adjustments but thatā€™s about it. Alk is kinda important and if there is one parameter other than temp/salinity that you should keep an eye on, itā€™s the Alk.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
20 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Didnā€™t know that this was your thread....šŸ™„

Well, donā€™t overreactĀ is a solid advice. 7.7 is nothing to panic about. I had Alk drop from 9.5 to 6.2 once while trying to figure out new dosing pumps and nothing happened. If that was a gradual drop then I wouldnā€™t even worry about it.Ā 

IfĀ you wanna bring it up, do it slowely.Ā 

Increase your dosage slightly till you notice a rise of your Alk. When you reach your preferred number, lower dosage slightly. You might need do follow up withĀ small adjustments but thatā€™s about it. Alk is kinda important and if there is one parameter other than temp/salinity that you should keep an eye on, itā€™s the Alk.ļ»æĀ 

ItĀ  isĀ :smilie:Ā thanks for visiting man. You guys have really helped calm the nerves so thanks every one for that. This is all unchartedĀ territory for me so just making sure I'm doing things the right way. Wiekel was right though, did this ass backwards, should have gotten the 2 part first. I'm really glad I got the hanna checker though, I should have had it way sooner. Good news is everyone is doing good, so that's a plusĀ :smilie:

• Like 1
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

ItĀ  isĀ :smilie:Ā thanks for visiting man. You guys have really helped calm the nerves so thanks every one for that. This is all unchartedĀ territory for me so just making sure I'm doing things the right way. Wiekel was right though, did this ass backwards, should have gotten the 2 part first. I'm really glad I got the hanna checker though, I should have had it way sooner. Good news is everyone is doing good, so that's a plusĀ :smilie:

Hanna is great. Regent is a bit pricey in my opinion. I mean it depends how often you test your Alk (almost daily 4 me). Usual Alk test kit I use is Elos bc itā€™s quick (not super accurate tho). Then RedSea and for critical testing Hanna/RedSea.Ā 

Keep come and keep on reefing buddy.Ā 

Enjoy your tank, donā€™t stress over it. šŸ‘

• Thanks 1