Coral Vue Hydros

Dave's 20g glass box šŸŽ‰ Water Box 20 IS STILL GOING.......

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah I've heard and read that. Did you do one dose or multiples?

I followed the instructions then thought I was good after 30 days .Ā A few weeks after the wc it started to come back just a little so I did another full dose for 30 days and it didnt come back... I dunno if it made a difference but during the first dose I was pulling the gha out every couple days, later on I read that wasnt a good idea bc the meds start at the tips then work down to the roots.. maybe bullshit I dunnošŸ¤”

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I followed the instructions then thought I was good after 30 days .Ā A few weeks after the wc it started to come back just a little so I did another full dose for 30 days and it didnt come back... I dunno if it made a difference but during the first dose I was pulling the gha out every couple days, later on I read that wasnt a good idea bc the meds start at the tips then work down to the roots.. maybe bullshit I dunnošŸ¤”

Well I'll keep this updated and see what happens. I still have some time left. I'll work with it and try and get some videos to post so I can see the progression.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Well, I went to the ct frag farmers market and It was absolutely awesome. So many people made the trip out. I ended up getting what I was looking for, except for a gorg. I'll have to order one online I think.

I ended up picking up two frogspawns, acan and a rock flower nem. Stayed pretty close to my budget so that was good. I ended up mounting all the acans I have plus re-plugging all of them. It looks a lot better. This was the first time pulling corals off of old frag plugs and I went a lot easier than I had thought it would. I'm gonna take some pics in a few with the filter on so you guys can see and let me know if something should be moved.Ā 

I almost bought my first sps coral, but I got scared and didn't. This one guy had these beautiful bubblegum digis, but since I'm still medicating for the gha I decided I should wait.Ā 

I'm on day 14 of the treatment and I'm not really seeing much in the way of algae die off, but the filter has a shit ton of it trapped inside. I'm making more saltwater so I can dump the filter out and have a clean filter.Ā 

I also set the prime to acclimation mode so I don't over do it with the new guys. one of the frogspawns looks like it is slowly coming out but the other is still tucked away really tight.Ā 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Ok, here are some quick pics. I have a video uploading now showing the tank right now. Again, just ignore the algae lol.Ā 

Ā 

The acanĀ  second one down is the new one.

IMG_20190302_161209.jpg

IMG_20190302_161202.jpg

IMG_20190302_161148.jpg

IMG_20190302_161141.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

And here is the video...it's not very good, but you'll get the idea lol.

Ā 

Ā 

Nice haul! šŸ˜€

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Ā 

Nice haul! šŸ˜€

Thanks, I really wanted the bubble gum digi, but I figured it would die at the moment. It was so pretty.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 minutes ago, spectra said:

Nice corals and nice to see the fish swimming around.....does it eat algae or just pretend.....

pretends, he needs to step up lol

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So I checked alk last night and I'm down to 6.9...It hasn't droped a full dkh in two weeks so I'm thinking I may have to dose a little in a few days. It's weird that the consumption stalled for a few days then only dropped a little. It dropped quicker the first week. I figured that it would be a consistent change, I'll just keep watching. I dumped out the filter and cleaned it up a bit, there was a shit ton of algae in it, probably from the die off i would assume. Fingers crossed the meds work and be clear in another couple weeks, then I can get back to normal maintenance. It's been weird not doing water changes...

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I was looking at the tank last night and realized that it looks like the algae is dying back. The meds are working I'm 16 days in and it seems to finally be working. I took a turkey baster to the rocks and the algae was just falling off the rocks. I'm going to be empting the filter and new floss every day till this is done. I think I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. I think since my light is set on acclimation mode, that may be helping to kill it off also. I have the lights low because of the new corals.

Could be a coincidence, who knows though. As long as I see die off of algae I'm happy.

Also, corals and all other animals are doing well, so this seems to be working.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Weikel said:

So have you had to dose yet?

lol, no I'm scared. Alk is down to 6.9 from 7.7 a little over two weeks ago. I figured I was still in a safe zone. Should I dose??

Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

lol, no I'm scared. Alk is down to 6.9 from 7.7 a little over two weeks ago. I figured I was still in a safe zone. Should I dose??

Sissy. Ha I would but you are in the safe zone so you can ride it out, especially if everything looks good. Then again at what level would you dose??? Or do you want to wait until your corals start sufferingšŸ¤”šŸ¤”

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Weikel said:

Sissy. Ha I would but you are in the safe zone so you can ride it out, especially if everything looks good. Then again at what level would you dose??? Or do you want to wait until your corals start sufferingšŸ¤”šŸ¤”

yeah I was asking myself those questions. Coral wise, they don't know anything or at least they are acting normal. I would figure that if it dips to 6.7 that's one dkh and I should at least dose the alk. I got the seachem reef fusion. I'm still nervous about dosing, I don't wanna do something wrong and kill all the hard work I've put into the tank.. I used the calculator on marine depot website and it seems straight forward.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So, I'm gonna rephrase the part about the alk drop... it was 7.7 on my last water change and in two weeks it dropped to 6.9. The drop actually leveled off and I don't know if that's just the hanna margin of error or what. I have to test it tonight to see where I'm at.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

nervous about dosing, I don'tļ»æ wanna do something wrong and kill all theļ»æ ļ»æhardļ»æ work I've put into the tank.. I used the calculatorļ»æ ļ»æļ»æon marine depot website and it seems straight forward

Yea kinda of weird at first. What are you worried about though spiking your alk and ca because you measured wrong or calculated incorrectly ,or just the tank reacting poorly even if you dose correctly?

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Yea kinda of weird at first. What are you worried about though spiking your alk and ca because you measured wrong or calculated incorrectly ,or just the tank reacting poorly even if you dose correctly?

umm, I'd have to say both actually. Good thing is I don't have any high demanding corals. I think my zone for dosing will be once I hit that 6.7 mark. I'll dose to keep it at say 7 and keep it there till I can do a water change. I guess as long as it doesn't go up quick I should be fine. It's dropping really slow so I think the tank will be good, don't know if I can hold out another two weeks though. If I dose a couple of times I think I'd be good.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

umm, I'd have to say both actually. Good thing is I don't have any high demanding corals. I think my zone for dosing will be once I hit that 6.7 mark. I'll dose to keep it at say 7 and keep it there till I can do a water change. I guess as long as it doesn't go up quick I should be fine. It's dropping really slow so I think the tank will be good, don't know if I can hold out another two weeks though. If I dose a couple of times I think I'd be good.

You could always mix up 5 gallons of salt water and try and dose it up to a specific number and see if you can hit it lol ..Ā  seriously though if it would make you more comfortable you would be only wasting a couple cups of salt and 5 gallons of rodi..Ā  be like a science experiment in grade schoolšŸ¤£

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

You could always mix up 5 gallons of salt water and try and dose it up to a specific number and see if you can hit it lol ..Ā  seriously though if it would make you more comfortable you would be only wasting a couple cups of salt and 5 gallons of rodi..Ā  be like a science experiment in grade schoolšŸ¤£

hmm...that's a good idea, I might have to try that. I already have some saltwater made up, I've been using it to fill up my filter after I dump all the shit out of it lol.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
54 minutes ago, spectra said:

Just dose a a little bit its not rocket science.........

It seems like it is thoughĀ omgomgomgĀ lol. I'm gonna let it ride for a little longer. That reminds me, I should go check it to see where its at.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Holyshit, it's my tanks one year birthday today. I can't believe it made it. I've had some ups and downs while it's been up, but all in all id say it's been a good year with it. The algae is definitely dying back and the corals are growing. I'm going to get some pics when I get home from work today. I want to thank all you guys for the help withĀ this thing too.Ā 

I can't wait to start the big boy tank.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So in honor of the one year anniversary of the reef, here are a few shots of the tank. The aids is clearing up nice šŸ˜€.

Everything is starting to close cause it's almost lights out and I had stirred up the sand and blew some algae of the rocks so they got all butthurt lol.

IMG_20190307_204057.jpg

IMG_20190307_204048.jpg

IMG_20190307_204041.jpg

• Like 1