Cultivated Reef

Red Sea Reefer 350 Build

hedgeclipper2

hedgeclipper2

Hi everyone!

So I have had my IM Nuvo 30L set up for just over a year, and I am already starting to out grow this tank and looking into something bigger.  Was originally going to get the Red Sea Reefer 250, but the spouse likes the wider size of the 350, plus the wall where it goes is like 7' long, so we feel the 4' size will make it a nice centerpiece.

I haven't purchase anything yet as I am in need of help on the build out and what to get for this tank.

Equipment I currently own and plan to use on this new build:

MP10WQD

2x Ai Prime HD in white on gooseneck mounts

Eheim 100w and 150w heaters

Tunze Nano ATO (to supplement the Red Sea ATO)

Here is what is "in my cart" to purchase for the new build:

Red Sea Reefer 350 in white

Bubble Magus Curve 5

Maxspect Gyre XF 230 w/controller (to complement the MP10WQD)

Since Syncra Silent 4.0 (not sure about this one, should I consider Ecotech Vectra S1 instead?)

Ai Prime HD in white on gooseneck (to add to my existing 2 to make 3 across the tank)

Am I missing anything?  Or something I should consider instead?

I am having hesitation on the lights, however I keep no SPS corals and do not plan on keeping any in the future either.  I like my softies and LPS.  

I currently only have 1 clownfish and 1 green chromis.  I do plan on adding additional fish, but not until after March when we are going to Europe for 3 weeks.  Was thinking of stocking maybe 7 fish max?

With Christmas coming up I don't really want to break the bank on this new build, am planning on selling my Nuvo 30L with stand as soon as this new tank is up and running, so that can pay for something new.

Help and advise is appreciated :)  Thanks!

• Like 1
hedgeclipper2

Also, been reading about the IceCap 3k Gyre as well.  The cost is so much less than the Maxspect Gyre, anyone have any experience with the IceCap 3k?  Would that work for this build?

I have the older Maxspect Gyre XF130 in my 350 and it gives enough flow.  Never tried the IceCap 3k but is the price that much more for the Maxspect?  3 AI primes should be good enough for softies, LPS, and easy SPS.  Seems like a waste to sell them for something more expensive.  

Check out the jeabo stuff I have been impressed with there stuff . The price is dirt cheap too. They make a gyre knock off called the jeabo cross flow and there return pumps are nice too. They are both dc controllable as well

hedgeclipper2

I ended up getting a gently used Maxspect XF130 gyre for a good deal, so that piece is on the way.

I am leaning towards the Current USA eFlux 6010 return pump, on sale at MD today anyways.  Will probably go ahead and snag the Bubble Magus Curve 5 as well since its 20% off.

On 12/10/2018 at 4:21 PM, hedgeclipper2 said:

Went ahead and ordered the Bubble Magus Curve 5 and Current USA eFlux 6010 DC Return pump today. 

my reefer 350 is going on 6 months. I tried to budget best I could without sacrificing quality. I am running the with

eflux 1900g/hour return pump.  

Curve 5

colbalt 300w heater

maxpect gyre

2x AI Prime

I am very happy with everything so far.

Just a heads up on the eflux pump, it does not come with the proper fitting for the return hose supplied with the tank. I had to go to Home Depot to purchase 3" of hose and a fitting to modify the 2 hoses together.

hedgeclipper2
35 minutes ago, Cutter79 said:

Just a heads up on the eflux pump, it does not come with the proper fitting for the return hose supplied with the tank. I had to go to Home Depot to purchase 3" of hose and a fitting to modify the 2 hoses together.

On MD's website it says it comes with a 3/4" barb, does that not work for the 3/4" flex tubing that comes with the tank?

hedgeclipper2
2 minutes ago, Cutter79 said:

I guess it is possible they just missed the fitting when they packaged my pump.  I ended up changing the hose clamps as they started to rust within a couple weeks. 

Thanks. Hopefully it’ll come or I’ll just have to do some kind of adapter like you did. 

Btw, how are you liking your Bubble Magus skimmer?  Which one did you get?  I ordered the Curve 5 yesterday. 

26 minutes ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Thanks. Hopefully it’ll come or I’ll just have to do some kind of adapter like you did. 

Btw, how are you liking your Bubble Magus skimmer?  Which one did you get?  I ordered the Curve 5 yesterday. 

I haven't run a sumped system since 2001 but now I got a rsr250 and have been running a curve 5.. it makes good skim but takes a bit to dial it in. Every time I clean it it takes me like 2 days to get it just right.. I only payed 100 shipped for mine so I couldnt be more happy 😎

20181211_170813.jpg

1 minute ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Is that the V3 sump I see?  How do you like it?  You planning on setting up a refugium?

Dunno if this is meant for me but my sump does have a place for a fuge.  I like the option but my tank is only 3ish months old now and I have very low nutrients at the moment..  with just the skimmer I keep my  nitrates at 2 with only small monthly wc.. in my experience macro is very efficient in removing phosphate and nitrates which coral does need to flourish just not too much. If my levels get high enough I will add cheato.  Also at this point I dont care too much about a big pod population so no fuge for now

hedgeclipper2
18 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Dunno if this is meant for me but my sump does have a place for a fuge.  I like the option but my tank is only 3ish months old now and I have very low nutrients at the moment..  with just the skimmer I keep my  nitrates at 2 with only small monthly wc.. in my experience macro is very efficient in removing phosphate and nitrates which coral does need to flourish just not too much. If my levels get high enough I will add cheato.  Also at this point I dont care too much about a big pod population so no fuge for now

Yep it was 🙂

I do like the flexibility of having that option in the new V3 sump version.  

I see you have the white stand, what made you decide on that color?  Spouse and I are having a hard time picking which color, I like white, spouse likes black.

19 minutes ago, hedgeclipper2 said:

Yep it was 🙂

I do like the flexibility of having that option in the new V3 sump version.  

I see you have the white stand, what made you decide on that color?  Spouse and I are having a hard time picking which color, I like white, spouse likes black.

Go with what makes the wife happy bro that way she wont be as mad when you spend more money on coral haha.. yea it fit the color scheme and white on a reefer is pure sexy. I put mine off my kitchen so it had to be white.. also i had to spend thousands on a new kitchen to get her to accept the deal lmoa

hedgeclipper2
22 minutes ago, Cutter79 said:

I have 10 corals. No sps. Light is not a issue yet but dosing is lol I will be adding a 3rd prime after I buy a doser and a go reactor 

Love the Elegance Coral!  Always wanted one, but never had enough room in my 30L

hedgeclipper2
10 minutes ago, Weikel said:

But hey looks good😋

20181201_182508.jpg

Wolf range.  Drool.  Always wanted one, but our cooktop is in our island and has to be downdraft vented and there is no gas in our island, boo.

I do love the white stand, I will try to get spouse on board.  Our living room has darker wood floors and gray walls, I am thinking the white would make it stand out.

• Thanks 1