Dantrasy

CB600 Reef Tank

Hello Nano Reef

I finally decided to pull the trigger and convert one of my planted tanks to a reef and I would like to document my progress/mistakes/help.

The tank is CADE, CB600, 60x45x45 (120L)

I'll be using an 4x24w ATI Powermodule (because I already have it).

So far I have purchased:

Bulbs: blue +, coral+, purple + and actinic.

Return pump: Jecod 6000dc

Skimmer: Tunze 9004dc

Doser: Coral Box wifi

That’s it for now. I'll add to this list as and when I get more stuff.

Last weekend I took the tank to a guy who does commercial and domestic reef installations. He's drilling the tank for me and making a phantom overflow, a sump (65L) and he's going to wrap the rear panel with black vinyl. Can't wait to see how to turns out. It ought be done in 2 weeks time. 

A friend of mine had a epic 3ft nano reef a while back (Mike). So I'm picking his brain for advice as much as I can.  I hope I can do the some here on this forum. Problem is, I don't know what I don't know. To rectify this I'm going through this forum reading heaps (really enjoying it), and I'm watching the BRS 52 week video series. I'm up to week 14. He skipped over sand pretty quick. I like the idea of black sand, but the BRS guy hints that it's not a good idea. Not 100% sure why.

Anyway, I know people like pics so here's one of what the 2ft used to look like (my IAPLC entry this year) and one of my 3 tanks from last week.  

a2wswo.jpg

20181130_185038.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 2

34 minutes ago, Dantrasy said:

Hello Nano Reef

I finally decided to pull the trigger and a convert one of my planted tanks to a reef and I would like to document my progress/mistakes/help.

The tank is CADE, CB600, 60x45x45 (120L)

I'll be using an 4x24w ATI Powermodule (because I already have it).

So far I have purchased:

Bulbs: blue +, coral+, purple + and actinic.

Return pump: Jecod 6000dc

Skimmer: Tunze 9004dc

Doser: Coral Box wifi

That it for now. I'll add to this list as and when I get more stuff.

Last weekend I took the tank to a guy who does commercial and domestic reef installations. He's drilling the tank for me and making a phantom overflow, a sump (65L) and he's going to wrap the rear panel with black vinyl. Can't wait to see how to turns out. It ought be done in 2 weeks time. 

A friend of mine had a epic 3ft nano reef a while back (Mike). So I'm picking his brain for advice as much as I can.  I hope I can do the some here on this forum. Problem is, I don't know what I don't know. To rectify this I'm going through this forum reading heaps (really enjoying it), and I'm watching the BRS 52 week video series. I'm up to week 14. He skipped over sand pretty quick. I like the ide of black sand, but the BRS guy hints that it's not a good idea. Not 100% sure why.

Anyway, I know people like pics so here's one of what the 2ft used to look like (my IAPLC entry this year) and one of my 3 tanks from last week.  

a2wswo.jpg

20181130_185038.jpg

Welcome to NR.  😊

Very nice tanks.  Can’t wait to see what you do. 

Thanks WV Reefer. I have many more planted tank pics, but this doesn't seem like the place for it.

Here are my thoughts...

Sump will have 3 + 1 compartments. 1 = skimmer, 2= media, 3 = return, +1 about 10L for ATO

Scape with 'real live rock'

Use a Coral Box external reactor for GFO and carbon (mixed together). Run the reactor from the return pump

Marine pure bio balls in the compartment with the skimmer

Pond matrix in the media compartment (just in a bag). Perhaps some plant life in here too.

Coral Box ATO

Coral Box RN-1 wavemaker

Coral Box 3 stage rodi. I think this should be enough, my home tap water is only 120ppm tds. 

Filter sock?

I don't know which GFO or carbon to get. I'm a bit lost there. And I'm not sure if the Coral Box reactor is any good or if it's worth spending extra here. I'm not sure if mixing GFO and carbon is such a great idea (I read conflicting information). And I don't know if I should run a sock or not. Erring on the side of caution tells me to do so, but I see many setups not using them.

Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantrasy said:

Thanks WV Reefer. I have many more planted tank pics, but this doesn't seem like the place for it.

Here are my thoughts...

Sump will have 3 + 1 compartments. 1 = skimmer, 2= media, 3 = return, +1 about 10L for ATO

Scape with 'real live rock'

Use a Coral Box external reactor for GFO and carbon (mixed together). Run the reactor from the return pump

Marine pure bio balls in the compartment with the skimmer

Pond matrix in the media compartment (just in a bag). Perhaps some plant life in here too.

Coral Box ATO

Coral Box RN-1 wavemaker

Coral Box 3 stage rodi. I think this should be enough, my home tap water is only 120ppm tds. 

Filter sock?

I don't know which GFO or carbon to get. I'm a bit lost there. And I'm not sure if the Coral Box reactor is any good or if it's worth spending extra here. I'm not sure if mixing GFO and carbon is such a great idea (I read conflicting information). And I don't know if I should run a sock or not. Erring on the side of caution tells me to do so, but I see many setups not using them.

Lots of peeps on here with FW tanks also. We love any kind of pics. 😊

I run a bare bones system so I’m not much help with sumps and reactors and such. 😬😄

4 hours ago, Dantrasy said:

You should get ROX 0.8 carbon, it pulls a lot of contaminants, and more effective than the bituminous were lignite carbon. BRS has a pretty good GFO that they sell, higher grade is always better.

Mixing carbon and gfo is possible, but they can't be allowed to tumble if you put them together. You need to pack carbon tight in reactors so it doesn't break apart. 

Socks are helpful, but are high maintenence. I would pick up a filter floss holder for your sump. Just put a new pad in every 3-4 days and you're good. Plus it's a lot easier to clean out floss than socks.

By the way, love your tanks! I think you would be pretty good with aquascaping a reef tank. People that do FW aquascapes always make really aesthetic SW aquascapes.

Thanks for the comments 😀 The floss idea makes sense. 

I’ll probably go with rowaphos and rowacarbon. 1000mls of each should last a good while. 

As for aquascaping, that’s my favourite part. Arranging rocks is a like doing a jigsaw puzzle or playing with lego. 

Btw, I’m in Western Australia. 

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions