Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Strawberry psuedochromis with 2 clowns

Jake Stumpf

We have a fire shrimp,  2 clownfish, and some corals. We are trying to get a strawberry pseudochromis but are unsure if they would be compatible. we are fairly new to saltwater any advice  would help, thanks. 

D54BDAC5-67A6-4924-ADC0-E5100B1E7EC9.jpeg

5269805D-8C46-4DC8-9019-B672124FDCE6.jpeg

Hi, welcome to NR! :welcome:

Clowns have very heavy bioloads and Dottybacks can be territorial/aggressive at times, so I think having three of them in a 12G *may cause some issues. Why not opt for a smaller third fish, like a goby or blenny instead? If you're into symbiotic pairs, you can try a hi-fin goby/pistol shrimp pair. Since they occupy your sandbed and not the upper water column (same space as the clowns), they should be able to get along.

Also, how long has your tank been up and running?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/7/2018 at 1:43 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hi, welcome to NR! :welcome:

Clowns have very heavy bioloads and Dottybacks can be territorial/aggressive at times, so I think having three of them in a 12G *may cause some issues. Why not opt for a smaller third fish, like a goby or blenny instead? If you're into symbiotic pairs, you can try a hi-fin goby/pistol shrimp pair. Since they occupy your sandbed and not the upper water column (same space as the clowns), they should be able to get along.

Also, how long has your tank been up and running?

Thanks for the help we really appreciate it. Our tanks been setup for about 2 months now 

• Like 1

in that small of a tank I wouldn't mix any dottyback besides maybe a fridmani with any other fish. I'd say your stocked with just the clowns, they get big and are messy fish. Also the dottyback species you mentioned is known to be one of the most aggressive and would have a decent chance of eating your shrimp.

12 gallons and a Dottyback, is like putting a Tiger in a cramped cage with smaller birds/mammals.  Royal Gramma would be better.  How long have the clowns been in there?  They can become territorial/aggressive once well established.