Cultivated Reef

Best reef safe tools to remove algae from rock ?

C2 da fish

I was wondering what tools are safe for reefs can I just a typical brand new tooth brush ? Can I use a grill cleaner brush with metal inside of the tank ? 

34 minutes ago, C2 da fish said:

I was wondering what tools are safe for reefs can I just a typical brand new tooth brush ? Can I use a grill cleaner brush with metal inside of the tank ? 

Toothbrush yes....metal grill thing...no! 

I use a turkey baster to blow debris off rocks too.

They make high quality stainless steal tools for cutting frags ect. Wash them after use.

• Like 1

Every stainless steel thing i have had has rusted, or at least developed spots. 

Which sucks because long ss tongs are the only way long to reach deep into the tank without putting my arm in it. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Toothbrush yes....metal grill thing...no! 

I use a turkey baster to blow debris off rocks too.

They make high quality stainless steal tools for cutting frags ect. Wash them after use.

What about if I take the rock out with a water change and scrub it off that way brush not in the tank

On 12/6/2018 at 7:18 PM, MrObscura said:

Every stainless steel thing i have had has rusted, or at least developed spots. 

Which sucks because long ss tongs are the only way long to reach deep into the tank without putting my arm in it. 

Have an RO or distilled water rinse or bath ready after use. 

Then for best results air dry before putting them away.

Getting rid of the saltwater is the main thing tho. 

As I understand it, only a few grades of stainless are saltwater-resistant, and most hand-tools are not that grade.