Innovative Marine Aquariums

SW4 vs MP10 vs Eflux

Coastie

Trying to figure out wavemakers and which would be the best fit.

$72 for two SW4s 

$150 for a used MP10 or

$106 for eflux 660 loop kit with 2 powerheads.

I have a Radion and the thought of syncing it with a power head is cool but I'm sure pretty much just a novelty.

So my question is, on a Nuvo 20 which would you do and why?

Thanks!

Well the mp10 is the superior option. It is a favoured pump. 

Another good option to look into is the aqamai kps. Fully controllable via phone/tablet. 

I'm personally not a fan of jebao. No warranty unless the store gives you one and it's a hit and miss product.

• Like 1

I run an mp10 on my 20, I really don't have any complaints about it. If you get it, make sure it's a quiet drive (it has quiet in the name for a big reason). Also, you'd need the wireless version to connect it to a reeflink, so that's another $100.

Both other pumps aren't as high quality as the mp10, and they add more wires inside your tank. I've used Jebao products before, and I can recommend them, but they aren't as reliable as other items on the market.

If you want something in the middle, there is another pump called the Hydor Aquami KPS that is a solid pump for the price. It's about $110, and it's wifi-controllable (don't need a reeflink type thing).

WindyCityReefer.

Mp10 has my vote. The quality and lack of wiring inside the tank is huge. While all of them move water, the vortech is superior in my honest opinion. 

I just got a kps, it's the smallest in its class and still bigger than I'd like, so Im glad I went with it. Theres a lot to like about it, but I have it blasting in my nuvo 10 and I'm honestly not sure if it would give me the flow I want in a 20g. But I also have high flow corals. 

Its a awesome pump though and you could always add a second for less than as new mp10. I dont like the lack of directional adjustment on the mp10s. 

You could also look into a gyre 1k. i almost pulled the trigger on one but everything I came across suggested it would be to much flow for a 10g. But I'm still kind of wishing I gave it a try. 

13 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Anyone know what kind of footprint the aquami pumps occupy?

Are they any better than the MP10?  

They are literally the size of a Large egg. Very small. I bought one for my new build... then found an MP10 and grabbed that too. The Aqamai seems great, I ran it in a Fluval Evo to clean it (vinegar bath) and test the WiFi. The main reason I kept looking for an MP10 is because the app for the Aqamai is seriously lacking in stability and ease of use. Please be patient and tech savvy for that one. That said, I’m still super happy with it, especially for $50 shipped from Dave Fason. I’ll keep it as a back-up likely. 

Well I can get an MP10W QD for $150 (or an older white box MP10 for $90).  Used of course but those are great prices for a great pump (I've had an MP10).

Im still leaning that way but I am still interested in trying something new.

Just now, Coastie said:

Well I can get an MP10W QD for $150 (or an older white box MP10 for $90).  Used of course but those are great prices for a great pump (I've had an MP10).

I don’t think the Aqamai will make you forget the MP10’s. If you want to go new, get the Nero 5. Baller status. 

11 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

I don’t think the Aqamai will make you forget the MP10’s. If you want to go new, get the Nero 5. Baller status. 

I think the Nero would be overkill on a 20 gallon.

35 minutes ago, Coastie said:

Probably loud as hell as well being older and alot of use. I just bought a MP10QD new and it came in yesterday and they are still not very silent pumps. Especially if you run them in a pulse mode its loud as hell. 

If you buy a non wireless and someday want to add it. the RF chip from ecotech is $45

14 hours ago, Coastie said:

Anyone know what kind of footprint the aquami pumps occupy?

Are they any better than the MP10?  

Everyone is going to tell you ecotech is the best. 

It's like Radion lights. It's considered the best but they are costly.

like another mentioned, you want the quiet version or else the pump is loud.

The Kps is new on the market, about a year old. Made by hydor which has been around for yrs and fantastic yo deal with.

Its tiny, its silent, its fully adjustable(moves in any direction you choose to aim it). Blends in well.

It does 375gph to like 1100gph.

I use 1 in my 25g lagoon. Love it. Love being able to set up a custom flow system on my phone and change whatever I want easily.

There are a few ppl on here who have used the eflux. Don't know much about them. Seem expensive. I believe there is a lot of wiring to hook them up when using 2.

I haven't had any issues with the kps app. But I am trying to figure out if there is a way to shift the entire timeline of your schedule rather than having to do it block by block.

My only real complaint is that it'd be nice if you could connect it to your home network. 

6 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I haven't had any issues with the kps app. But I am trying to figure out if there is a way to shift the entire timeline of your schedule rather than having to do it block by block.

My only real complaint is that it'd be nice if you could connect it to your home network. 

You can do this. It isn't exactly a repeatable process, but I was able to get it talking to my Router. I wish I could tell you how it worked, but after abour 12-15 attempts, I got it. There's a window that opens when you are connected to the pump that is suppose to show your home network, it never would populate for me and was blank, until finally it wasn't. I can now just open the app and control the pump instead of manually connecting to it as an access point.

• Thanks 1

My mp10 white box are silent on nano size tanks and I have had them since 2012. Replaced two wetsides total among 3 units in 6 years.

I'm sure they would make noise if I ran them max on big tanks but I have them in my bedroom where I sleep at 40 percent on reef crest no issues.

Your experiences may vary...I have taken good care of mine over the 6 years and they never gave me a reason to upgrade them. 

I think the kps looks nice too though never tried one myself.

Seems like a set of Tunze nanostreams would be a better bet, whether you go controllable or not.

In a tank this size, my inclination would be "not" and I'd set up some combo of 6015's and/or 6020's.   

Spoiler
Turbelle® nanostream® 6015
Turbelle® nanostream® 6015

For aquariums from 40 to 200 liters (10 to 55 USgal.). Flow rate: approx. 1,800 l/h (475 USgal./h) ... mehr

40.18 USD

Turbelle® nanostream® 6020
Turbelle® nanostream® 6020

For aquariums from 40 to 250 liters (10 to 66 USgal.). Flow rate: approx. 2,500 l/h (660 USgal./h)... mehr

42.92 USD

Say I decided that two 6015's made the most sense.  I'd have each one one it's own time so they'd turn on and off every three hours, but alternately from each other.  Makes a "perfect" tide simulation and seems to perform well in all respects.

Those pumps are $40-$50 each or so....and last seemingly forever and run dead-silent compared to any controllable pump.  All you'll hear are the startups when the "tide" shift.  (Instead going with 6045's for only $78/ea might make sense since you get the ability to significantly "turn it up" as the tank grows in and flow gets more complex in the tank.)

If you just gotta have controllable, it seems like, at $140/ea, you'd have to consider one or more 6040's for your lineup:

Spoiler
Turbelle® nanostream® 6040
Turbelle® nanostream® 6040

For aquariums from 20 to 500 liters (5.3 to 132 USgal.) Flow rate: approx. 200 to 4,500 l/h (53 to ... mehr

140.30 USD