Curtis_Rose

Curtis’ Evo 13.5

Hello all! My name is Curtis. I have quite a bit of freshwater experience. I had a few tanks including a 50 gallon African cichlids tank (uncle now has the fish) they bred and I didn’t have room or money at the time now he has a 200 gallon tank for them as well as a few of his own. I haven’t had a tank since and I have always wanted to do saltwater. Just never had the money or time to get into it until now. A little over a month and a half ago I started to read. I bought a Fluval Evo 13.5 the low initial cost was nice. I read more and upgraded the pump before I filled it up to create more flow. Now has a 237 gph return pump. I cycled for 3 weeks closely monitoring the tank. With live rock rubble and turbo start my cycle didn’t take long at all. About two weeks in I added a clean up crew. Three hermits and two trochus snails. A week later the tank was still holding great water quality with the clean up crew and ghost feeding. Then this Sunday I added my two fish (two clowns) and a gsp. I will not be adding anything else until after christmas except maybe a nessarius snail or two.

I’m getting more test kits and a wave maker for Christmas and probably more corals

Current levels

Salinity  1.026

Ammonia 0

Nitrite  0

Nitrate 5

PH 8.2

Temp 79-80

Clowns Nemo and Willy 

F72F5040-9FEF-4B34-BC1D-CBB7BE3D1828.jpeg

81000259-4F57-4CFF-AF7B-9430B6484FC8.jpeg

BD4C8D09-35BE-4912-932F-C73EFD3902BA.jpeg

• Like 2

nice! good to see you've kept the GSP isolated on a rock. 

Have you been topping off manually or do you use an auto top off?

No auto top off yet I’m thinking maybe after Christmas depending on funds but as it stand I’m topping off abt half a cup a day. Been closely watching salt level to make sure this is adequetate. Trying to figure out how much I’m losing per day so that I can make it routine  I been adding a half cup for four days now without seeing a decrease or increase in my salt content 

• Like 1

I will eventually frag  the gsp to a bigger piece of rock than the plug it’s on and remove the plug probably to sell off

24 minutes ago, Curtis_Rose said:

No auto top off yet I’m thinking maybe after Christmas depending on funds but as it stand I’m topping off abt half a cup a day. Been closely watching salt level to make sure this is adequetate. Trying to figure out how much I’m losing per day so that I can make it routine  I been adding a half cup for four days now without seeing a decrease or increase in my salt content 

When i was manually topping off (when i first started), I put a small piece of tape to show where the top of my water line was. Then when i would come to top off the next day, i would fill it back up to that line. This gave me a decent idea of how much to put in. I would say get an auto top off as soon as you get the funds to. It'll make it much easier for you. Because if you're out for a couple of days and cannot top off, the evaporation may affect the salinity enough. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curtis_Rose said:

I will eventually frag  the gsp to a bigger piece of rock than the plug it’s on and remove the plug probably to sell off

Don't.  Gsp grows quickly and will over take your rock, killing everything in it's path.  Keep it isolated to it's own island or just leave it on the sandbed.  It will spread over the sand.

That’s what I mean a small piece of rock that will sit isolated just bigger than the frag plug maybe the sand haha I’ll depends how how it looks I guess

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curtis_Rose said:

That’s what I mean a small piece of rock that will sit isolated just bigger than the frag plug maybe the sand haha I’ll depends how how it looks I guess

Sounds good. I have some GSP on it's own rock and it's really nice. I especially love the green colour when the lights are mostly blue (i use blues mostly for my ramp up/down). Hasn't grown as fast as others have claimed, but has grown faster than the others. 

What some people do is frag a piece and put it on the glass. It grows into a GSP wall over time. I haven't done it and i'm not sure how it would look to be honest. But sounds like a cool idea.

I noticed when I brought my gsp home it had a spaghetti worm living inside the coral. Will this harm my gsp? If not I’ll leave it. It does seem to drag sand and pulls it up against the frag but doesn’t seem to bug the gsp...

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions