Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tropic Marin All In One Dosing?

Travis

12 hours ago, FSTanks said:

@Travis Any update on:

1) Getting stability based on Alk measurements? #s?

2) Any changes to nitrates/phosphates? #s?

3) Overall experiences?

Thx and Cheers!

#1 YES! it's been very easy to maintain the parameters by measuring Alk alone.  Keeping my Alk at 9.7 has allowed me to keep my Ca at 450.

#2, No, no change in my numbers since starting.  Not up, or down.

#3 This has been nearly effortless to do.  My corals have responded very well to this system.  I wasn't doing water changes before and I still don't plan too.  Going off of anecdotal evidence, but my corals have greater polyp extension and are all around puffier. The colors have intensified, but that could also be due to switching from a T5 fixture to the new Kessil A360X's.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Travis said:

How much are you dosing and when? What size tank?

I never dialed in what I should be dosing in this tank before so my decisions are not scientific. 😂 It’s a 34 gallon cube and I started with 3ml every 2 days. No SPS except a few monti. 

Just over the past few days SPS growth has exploded and I am having to bump up the dosage amount daily.  Visually, and by the Alk tests, this product is working perfectly.

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, Travis said:

Just over the past few days SPS growth has exploded and I am having to bump up the dosage amount daily.  Visually, and by the Alk tests, this product is working perfectly.

I tried to scan thru your first page, but couldnt quite catch if you were dosing anything at all prior to this product?  

Also so where are you now in terms of daily dosing volume?  Saw the tank video, it is looking great 👍

On 12/25/2018 at 9:53 AM, micoastreefing said:

I tried to scan thru your first page, but couldnt quite catch if you were dosing anything at all prior to this product?  

Also so where are you now in terms of daily dosing volume?  Saw the tank video, it is looking great 👍

I was dosing Seachem Fusion 1 and 2 once per week.  The dKh was dropping by 1 over a weeks time.

I started with 10 mL per day, dropped it down all the way to 2.5 mL. I have had to raise it to 5 mL and now am having to raise it again. I am going to try back at 10 mL. It's no wonder why I'm having to raise the dosage when you see the growth.  I can't help but wonder if the added trace elements part of the equation for the growth.

• Like 1
On 12/26/2018 at 9:22 PM, Travis said:

I can't help but wonder if the added trace elements part of the equation for the growth.

Earlier in the comments you said weren't maintaining alk levels/said levels were dropping week after week or whatever.

According to your comments, it looks like you're a lot more on-the-ball now than you were with the other stuff you were using.  I don't think it's a difference in the material....or at least that's not the major difference.  The difference is YOU!   🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Earlier in the comments you said weren't maintaining alk levels/said levels were dropping week after week or whatever.

According to your comments, it looks like you're a lot more on-the-ball now than you were with the other stuff you were using.  I don't think it's a difference in the material....or at least that's not the major difference.  The difference is YOU!   🙂

Ha! I think it was the fact that manual dosing just isn’t for me. Im too lazy for that 😂

One must know one’s own limitations 😂

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Travis said:

One must know one’s own limitations 😂

Somethings one might only learn (or at least learn best) through experience, eh?

It's working out, so you gotta love it.  🙂

3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Something one might only learn (or at least learn best) through experience, eh?

It's working out, so you gotta love it.  🙂

Yep and yep 🙂

I would have to agree, people seem to take better care of the tank in general or more serious about parameters when they try some new magic juice. Even if its magic juice to rid algae they are now suddenly changing the floss more or stirring up debris which arguably will have an effect. Probably why magic juice works for some people and not others. 

I never claimed this product  to be magic juice. I just thought it was neat to have an all in one balanced dise that is easy to implement with a cheap BRS doser. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya, I am just talking in general, I use some magic juice myself. I do think the 1 doser thing is pretty cool. What do you use to control the doser?

I use my Apex Jr. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Bought it earlier today and will use it on my junk/frag tank as an experiment. Don’t have any opinion on it other than I’m looking forward to results it will produce over next couple of months. 

At the end of January, Tropic Marin rep will be answering customer’s questions regarding this and other products at my LFS. I’ll try to squeeze that event into my calendar. 

• Like 1

@Travis nice tank man. hope you can answer my question. so this would be like a triton method? no water changes just dosing all-for-reef?  do you have a refugium or ATS? i'm looking into all for reef when i stumbled upon this thread. I have a 15 gallon, ATS will be the primary export. no water changes and most probably dosing all for reef. live stock LPS and soft corals and a few fish.

thanks.

I wouldn’t start a no water change routine until the tank is about a year old. Too many fluctuations in a young tank. 

Other than that, yes it’s similar to the triton method. I only run a protein skimmer. I can’t keep cheato alive for what ever reason. 

• Thanks 1