Top Shelf Aquatics

Restarting, can’t decide on the Waterbox 20 or the Waterbox Marine 35.1

Project 2

I am starting a brand new salt water tank, this will be the first tank I decide to put corals in. Right now I am stuck between the Waterbox 20g Cube or the Waterbox 35.1g Marine. The 20g Cube is an AIO while the 35.1g comes with a sump. I have already purchased some equipment. Have spoken to 3 different LFS near me gathering information and items. The items I’ve got now were meant for the 20g but I still have time to change to the 35.1g. So please if you guys could point me in the right direction. 

Return Pump: Sicce 1.5

Heater: 100w Colbalt Neo

Zeolite and Matrix media

Light: AI Prime HD 

I want an ATO and a protein skimmer, and the corals I want in my tank are pretty easy as I was told. Some acans, zoas, and some soft corals, also I apologize if it sounds like I don’t know what I’m talking about, I really don’t. 

After having several AIO and MANY sumped tanks, I would highly recommend getting the 35.1! And in all honestly for $150 extra I would really get the 45.2 or even go for the 60.2. It seems like your on the right path equipment wise and so far your current list (besides maybe the Sicce) would work for all of those sizes. One common miss conception is that a smaller tank will be "easier", I have found it rather opposite. While yes it might be easier to do a 5 gallon water change rather then a 10-15g water change, I have found much more stability the more volume I have. Plus in almost all cases people run out of room and upgrade their tank. So why not start with the largest your willing to go? But in conclusion I 100% recommend having a sump. Makes life much easier and leaves you many options moving forward (roller filter, refugium, skimmers, top off, probes, heaters, filtration, ect.).

• Thanks 1

Both AIO And sump options have their own pros and cons. Beyond aesthetic reason, I think you should also think about how your future routine maintenance will look like - because that is what will dictate how successful you will be in the long run.  Most will say sump is easier, but I have an AIO and my maintenance routine is pretty simple. 

A good place to start is to look through various TOTMs (tank of the month). There, you’ll find “successful” tanks with both set up styles and able to read those members’ insight on how they run their tanks. 

• Thanks 1

So you guys would say having a sump is easier in terms of stability and maintenance? With a sump would waterchanges be the same way as an AIO? I’ve only ever had AIOs so this would be my first sump. I don’t know anything about refugiums, reactors, or anything. I just know about ATOs and slightly about protein skimmers, also why wouldn’t my Sicce 1.5 work? Would it not be enough gph? 

15 hours ago, Project 2 said:

Guys I have decided on the 45.2 gallon Waterbox with the stand and sump. Now I will

change my upgrade list accordingly. Thank you Smiz for the advice.

No prob! Like I said I have had 3 different types of AIO and I think maintenance and design is easier with a sump. A sump allows me to add equipment and keep everything easily hidden in the stand. As well as keep a refugium which i highly recommend. The AIO also really limits you to a handful of equipment choices as you need it to fit in a specific location. As for you pump you will just want to check to see that flow is adequate for the new tank.

• Like 1