SaltCritters.com

T5HO fixture question

ConnorD42

I want to switch to T5HOs but I had a question about fixtures, because I'm a college student and college students typically don't have a lot of money.. I was looking at this fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hydro-Crunch-2-ft-4-Bulb-96-Watt-T5-High-Output-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture-B360300100/303337496 as opposed to some of the other options on the market that cost a lot more money. I've read in a couple different places and forums why you can't use a t5 fixture and certain ballasts, but if the fixture is made to work with T5HOs, or so they claim, could this potentially work? I am not sure currently what ballast is used in this fixture, but does ballast type (programmed vs instant start, etc) effect what bulbs I can buy? Because I had planned on just getting ATI blue plus, purple plus and aquablue special bulbs. It's just been a lot to take in over the past day or two. Any advice or expertise or criticism welcomed, for the sake of better understanding the concept at least. Thanks all!

Just now, specore said:

I personally would look for a used 24" fixture designed for aquarium use. 

I'll be on the lookout for one, thanks Steve!

On 12/5/2018 at 2:39 PM, Tamberav said:

What size tank? Bulb changes add to expense quickly. I think type of ballast can wear bulbs out faster and bulbs aint cheap!

a 20H, I understand that bulbs are like 20-25 a piece which is pretty expensive, but that's a good point if the ballast wears them out faster than it should! I can't find any information on the type of ballast within, so I guess my best option is to wait and pony up the extra money for an aquarium fixture

I haven't booted them up yet because I don't really have enough coral to warrant it. So I can't comment on bulb life. But I have the Sunblaster T5HO off of Amazon. To supplement my leds. If I'm not mistaken and remember correctly. teenyreef uses or used them on his 40 gallon tank to supplement a nanobox quad wide. Maybe you can pm him about bulb life. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

I haven't booted them up yet because I don't really have enough coral to warrant it. So I can't comment on bulb life. But I have the Sunblaster T5HO off of Amazon. To supplement my leds. If I'm not mistaken and remember correctly. teenyreef uses or used them on his 40 gallon tank to supplement a nanobox quad wide. Maybe you can pm him about bulb life. 

I'll shoot him a pm in a moment, I was just wondering about bulb life again, according to BRS (not that it's the end all answer) but the sunblaze t5 ho fixture is intended for horticulture use as well, so now I'm really wondering if the fixture in my link has the right ballasts, or even if I can find the right ballast and just swap them in, why it can't work.. as long as precautions are taken to make sure the fixture is not exposed to water I would think that there would be a way to get around the bulb life debate. It'll take some more research I guess haha.

• Like 1

the skeptical side of me is saying they don't want people using the 30 dollar Sunblasters because they sell the single tube supra ones for 100 lol. I caught them doing something very slick in a video where they were pushing coral vendors. Two of the big names they were pushing were WWC and Battle Corals. They were going over lighting, flow and all the stuff that each vendor uses. Well after going over the lighting that all the other vendors use. Which just so happens to be lighting that they sell lol. They conveniently skipped over Adam's lighting at battle corals. Which is how I found out what he used by doing some research. It's a lighting they don't sell. Reef Breeders. I guess business is business though so I can't fault them too much. But teenys 40g tank speaks for itself. If he's still using Sunblasters and his tank looks like that. That's all the proof I need. With all that said. I'm likely switching over to Nanobox after the first of the year anyways so it doesn't matter in my case lol.

• Like 2

Yeah I found another two bulb fixture that I think I'm going to go with come my next paycheck then order some bulbs, I don't see any reason why it won't perform the same function as the fancy fixtures for a 5th of the cost.. 

The thing is teeny suppliments his LED's... I do as well... so if the bulb gets old... it doesn't matter that much, the led's are putting in work anyways. I have no proof, that is just my thought. I swap mine once a year with and its pretty obvious when I do the swap my bulbs are ooooooooold and that is with a hep ballast.

I swapped the ballasts in my cheap t5 for HEP ones. It was not difficult. I did it because I am a cheap-ass too LOL and the fixture was 100 bucks at the time with crap ballasts. I have no idea if it really makes a difference or not. I never tried the old ballests. 

That home depot fixture looks like it has no cooling/fans, which will also effect bulb performance and longevity. (clip on a fan maybe?)

I can't tell if it has 1 bent reflector or not? Individual reflectors are much better. 

it is a steel housing so will possibly rust, reef ones are aluminum.

What about finding a used fixture? 

2 hours ago, ReefGoat said:

the skeptical side of me is saying they don't want people using the 30 dollar Sunblasters because they sell the single tube supra ones for 100 lol. I caught them doing something very slick in a video where they were pushing coral vendors. Two of the big names they were pushing were WWC and Battle Corals. They were going over lighting, flow and all the stuff that each vendor uses. Well after going over the lighting that all the other vendors use. Which just so happens to be lighting that they sell lol. They conveniently skipped over Adam's lighting at battle corals. Which is how I found out what he used by doing some research. It's a lighting they don't sell. Reef Breeders. I guess business is business though so I can't fault them too much. But teenys 40g tank speaks for itself. If he's still using Sunblasters and his tank looks like that. That's all the proof I need. With all that said. I'm likely switching over to Nanobox after the first of the year anyways so it doesn't matter in my case lol.

1 hour ago, ConnorD42 said:

Yeah I found another two bulb fixture that I think I'm going to go with come my next paycheck then order some bulbs, I don't see any reason why it won't perform the same function as the fancy fixtures for a 5th of the cost.. 

43 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The thing is teeny suppliments his LED's... I do as well... so if the bulb gets old... it doesn't matter that much, the led's are putting in work anyways. I have no proof, that is just my thought. I swap mine once a year with and its pretty obvious when I do the swap my bulbs are ooooooooold and that is with a hep ballast.

I swapped the ballasts in my cheap t5 for HEP ones. It was not difficult. I did it because I am a cheap-ass too LOL and the fixture was 100 bucks at the time with crap ballasts. I have no idea if it really makes a difference or not. I never tried the old ballests. 

That home depot fixture looks like it has no cooling/fans, which will also effect bulb performance and longevity. (clip on a fan maybe?)

I can't tell if it has 1 bent reflector or not? Individual reflectors are much better. 

it is a steel housing so will possibly rust, reef ones are aluminum.

What about finding a used fixture? 

I agree with you. I also bought the Sunblasters with the intention of using them as supplemental. It just dawned on me that OP is trying to go full t5. I amend my previous stance lol. Me personally, If I was trying to go full T5. It would be an ATI fixture maybe even a used one. I think there was a used one on here last week for 250

• Like 2

I like my Sunblasters, I got a lot of value for $30 each. They are still going strong after almost a year with the ATI bulbs I started with.

I agree with @Tamberav and @ReefGoat - as supplements to my Nanobox, they are great. They have individual reflectors which makes a big difference in the amount of light. No fans but they are single bulb units so they don't get too hot. 

If I was looking for a T5-only solution, I'd go with something made for reef aquariums, though, ideally a used ATI fixture with high quality ballasts and reflectors. It really does make a huge difference.

Having said all that...I've bought my share of cheap lighting options thinking I'd get something half as good for a fifth of the price. There are lower price options in lighting that can be made to work. But I highly advise finding an option that at least a few other people are using and have reported are working well for them. If you're looking at something no one else is using, it's probably for a good reason.

• Like 3