inTank Media Baskets

30gal display cube frag tank system build

Domi

Hi,

After having this 8 gallon tank for half a year:

IMG_3765.thumb.jpeg.fd66a6835dd28869d26be5a69f069380.jpeg

I decided to upgrade.

I wanted to have something a little more stable, space for frags and some more tech.

So I planned out a new system and gave this to my tank-builder. It will be a cube with 45x50x40 cm (~18x19x16") that is connected to a sump 40x45x40 cm (~16x17x16") that will also serve as a frag tank with an ATO reservoir in the back. Below the sump there is some space for Dosing pumps and electronics.

IMG_3773.thumb.jpeg.80763598f46faa47b95b81f5b1c85113.jpeg

The scape will move in the next tank as it is now, with the same live stock. I like the scape and just want it to have some more space.
I will probably add some corals and some fish. Right now I have mostly sps and lps corals one fire shrimp, one cleaner shrimp and a tail splot blenny called Fridolin. Also in future the focus will be on (sps-) corals
My goal is to have more water volume since keeping alk stable was always difficult since consumption was changing a lot on a day to day basis making it cumbersome with the dosing pump. The goal is that I can leave the tank alone for at least one week without the need for somebody to take care of it.
All in all the volume should be around 4 times more than before hopefully making it more stable.

That's the equipment I will use:
1x Juwel 100W heater
1x Dennerle 50W heater
1x AI Prime HD
1x Tunze turbelle nanostream electronic
1x Aqua medic DC runner evo
1x Aqua medic reef doser evo 4
1x Tunze osmolator nano
1x Cheap Dennerle LED light for frag tank
1x DIY aquarium controller
1x PC fan controlled by aquarium controller

I won't use a skimmer as I am always having troubles with too low nutrients, this gives me more space for coral frags in the sump. I plan to run activated carbon from time to time as I observed that sometimes growth would stall which I was able to solve with activated carbon, I assume it is because of toxins from the corals causing problems in such little volume. 

The overflow tubing will be 25mm and the return tubing 20mm. I will hard-plumb everything and also try to fit a small manifold to be able to also run a small DIY carbon reactor and whatever else I might want to run from just the one return pump. I opted for a rather powerful return pump for this tank to get some flow out of it and to run it on a slow level hoping that it will be more quiet and last longer than maxing out a smaller pump.

Most of the parts I used already in the small tank, like for example my DIY aquarium controller based on an raspberry pi:

IMG_3502.thumb.jpeg.09c9863daf19dfebfe3ccdc98becdbe2.jpeg

The dosing system will be ATI nano essentials, I am using this right now and I am quite happy with it. It has two parts so I have two free channels left on the dosing pump in case I want to add something else.

One thing I am thinking about at the moment is how to make the shelf below the sump save/waterproof/humidity-proof enough to have all the electronics in there. Any suggestions?
Additionally I am wondering if I should run the frag tank light at night to keep pH more stable, or does this only make sense with refugiums?

As I am changing my job I have one month of holidays before I start again in January, so my plan is to finish the majority of this build before Christmas and have it run already stable enough so I can visit my parents back in Austria for a couple of days.
I will update as I go along.

Cheers,
Dominik

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Unfortunately documenting my build didn't go as I planned, so after more than a year, here is the current result:

Things are running smoothly, once a week glass cleaning, filter wool exchange and Alk testing. Every third week I fill up the ATO reservoir and adjust salinity as well as test Ca, PO4 and NO3. The tank really needs a lot of nutrients, I am feeding a lot and add 0.03mg/l PO4 per day to keep PO4 at 0.03. I don't run a skimmer, so I assume that the corals are taking up a lot plus bacteria. Other than that I am dosing ATI Essentials Pro and my alkalinity consumption is about 1 dKH/day. 
My fish stock is at the moment:
1x Chromis
1x Purple Firefish
1x Tail Spot Blenny

1x Rainford's Goby

That's all I do on the tank in months. Quite boring, but it seems like the corals like it boring...
So here are the pictures:

The whole System:

DSC07093_2.thumb.jpg.6a5b003d54285dfa1a080559abed87ad.jpg

The display tank:

DSC07088_2.thumb.jpg.208a13cfead633dfdb42e6bacf10c382.jpg

The frag tank / sump:

DSC07090_2.thumb.jpg.8899ab963286fee1cb46d0ddd1b0d539.jpg

Cheers,

Domi

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The YT-link doesn't seem to work..

But that's a seriously cool looking tank you have there! I like the way the sps seem to grow up towards the surface. 😁👍

On 4/16/2020 at 10:08 PM, DNR88 said:

The YT-link doesn't seem to work..

But that's a seriously cool looking tank you have there! I like the way the sps seem to grow up towards the surface. 😁👍

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know, here is a working link: