I have two maroon clown fish in a BioCube 29.  I have had them a little over 10 years now mated (not reproducing though).  The small male looks very healthy and no signs of issues.  Recently however the female is showing some distress on the tail area.  I tried to take a picture but it does not really show the coloration (I'll try again later and post if I can get a good one).  Essentially the tail has some grey/opaque coloration on it.  Its easiest to see with actinic lights highest vs just white light.  Its not mucus or a film, just the scales have off coloring. That's the best I can explain it right now. 

Breathing seems normal, appetite seems good, no other signs like ick or other issues that are obvious. 

Water parameters in general look good.  No reported issues when testing but have a minor amount of cyno in tank so maybe phosphates could be high.

Changes to the tank include that I have added a few corals and I did increased the light output (replaced a burning out led bar) added some snails but nothing major.  

Behavior wise I noticed with the increase in light my candy cane coral is opening much larger and have seen the maroon clown try to "host" it in the sense of it will swim gently on it and stop swimming and rest on the coral, then swim off and repeat.

I've been looking up diseases and do not see any pictures that resemble the issue.  Anyone have thoughts on this like what it may be or possible causes?  I'm at a loss because I've never really had to deal with sick fish before (if it even is).

Picture is not good but best I got till tomorrow when light comes on again. You can see how tail at end looks off color

3EAEC895-AE93-41BD-A54D-7565FA626929.jpeg

I'm wondering if her tail is getting stung by LPS sweepers. You mentioned the candy cane. Is she trying to fan it with her tail?

• Like 1

Let’s hope. Right now I can’t identify it as a disease and so far seems like swimming and eating normal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twenty12 said:

Let’s hope. Right now I can’t identify it as a disease and so far seems like swimming and eating normal. 

If its not spreading to the body that's a good sign.

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions