SaltCritters.com

Copepods....Too many?

ccejka

I have read that copepods are good thing for our tanks. I have noticed an increasing number in my display tank and have been pretty pleased. Looked at my tank this morning when I got to my office and it looked like there was white paint over spray or something on my tank. Millions of white spots on the glass, I hustled over and they are copepods swimming around living the dream. 

Can you have to much of a good thing?

I haven't tested my water yet today but plan to and haven't had an issue with the water levels yet. I am running a 1 gallon HOB Refugium with a fast growing ball of Chaeto. 

Only live stock in the tank outside of coral is 1 Darwin clown and a Cleaner shrimp. I have been looking at getting a Goby and think now will be a good time. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ccejka said:

I have read that copepods are good thing for our tanks. I have noticed an increasing number in my display tank and have been pretty pleased. Looked at my tank this morning when I got to my office and it looked like there was white paint over spray or something on my tank. Millions of white spots on the glass, I hustled over and they are copepods swimming around living the dream. 

I haven't tested my water yet today but plan to and haven't had an issue with the water levels yet. I am running a 1 gallon HOB Refugium with a fast growing ball of Chaeto. 

Only live stock in the tank outside of coral is 1 Darwin clown and a Cleaner shrimp. I have been looking at getting a Goby and think now will be a good time. 

The population will level out over time.  

6 minutes ago, ccejka said:

I figured but seemed like that it was a copepod invasion..lol...

Yeah, that’s common. 😄  At night I would look in and the rocks looked like they were moving!

2 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Yeah, that’s common. 😄  At night I would look in and the rocks looked like they were moving!

What is your opinion on bristle worms I am pretty sure I saw that creepy SOB coming out from a rock yesterday. 99% sure that is what it was.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, ccejka said:

What is your opinion on bristle worms I am pretty sure I saw that creepy SOB coming out from a rock yesterday. 99% sure that is what it was.

They are good guys..... just don’t touch them. They will do the same thing...... population will explode and then level out. 

10 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are good guys..... just don’t touch them. They will do the same thing...... population will explode and then level out. 

It's pretty interesting to watch the system inside this tank change and grow! Thanks for the information. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ccejka said:

It's pretty interesting to watch the system inside this tank change and grow! Thanks for the information. 

That’s the best part...... finding all the little surprises you didn’t even know about. 😊

On 12/3/2018 at 11:54 AM, ccejka said:

What size is your tank?   If it looks like the bristleworm or copepod population is getting out of control a Pink Streaked Wrasse might be a great way to help keep things in check:  

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+2908&pcatid=2908

They are also a great addition to your tank for color, personality, etc.  (the picture doesn't do it justice).