Coral Vue Hydros

New setup?

Coolreefer42

Ok from all the help with the bored with tank thread I have a general assumption on what I want to do.

inovative marine 10 gallon.

mainly LPS and some sps, mushrooms in the corners, as well as zoos on the bottom.

i want to keep my Kenya because that was my second coral! 

Inovative marine 10 gallon,

either a AI PRIME HD or another light.

one light I found which is called wave maker blade 9 watt, is that any good? (It’s on marine depot for 50$) or the kessil a80. ( please leave recommendations.)

i want a chunk of rock in the center with a flat or top where I can mount coral, but with room on all sides at least an inch or two I don’t know where to get rock that specific.

i wanted a new type of fish as well, somthing different besides clowns damsels blenies or gobies. (Somthing reef safe) 

but it besides that I would like to keep LPS, SPS, (beginner sps) stuff like montis and such. And my zoos that I currently have. 

id Like to order everything so please leave links to cool corals if you have any! 

I’d like to keep the corals to a budget nothing way too expensive preferably under 65 per coral if that’s possible, Lol.

Special thanks to @WV Reefer and @Fish_Wiz for all the help and recommendations!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Coolreefer42 said:

Ok from all the help with the bored with tank thread I have a general assumption on what I want to do.

inovative marine 10 gallon.

mainly LPS and some sps, mushrooms in the corners, as well as zoos on the bottom.

i want to keep my Kenya because that was my second coral! 

one light I found which is called wave maker blade 9 watt, is that any good? (It’s on marine depot for 50$) or the kessil a80. ( please leave recommendations.)

i want a chunk of rock in the center with a flat or top where I can mount coral, but with room on all sides at least an inch or two I don’t know where to get rock that specific.

i wanted a new type of fish as well, somthing different besides clowns damsels blenies or gobies. (Somthing reef safe) 

but it besides that I would like to keep LPS, SPS, (beginner sps) stuff like montis and such. And my zoos that I currently have. 

id Like to order everything so please leave links to cool corals if you have any! 

I’d like to keep the corals to a budget nothing way too expensive preferably under 65 per coral if that’s possible, Lol.

Special thanks to @WV Reefer and @Fish_Wiz for all the help and recommendations!

Maybe Stax rocks? You can well... stack them and have lots of flat surfaces.

If no clowns/blennues/gobies, that leaves... uhh wrasses and basslets? Dottybacks? 

I like the pygmy/tanaka wrasses, gold assesor basslet, chalk bass, neon dottys are gorgeous but you wouldn't be able to keep small shrimp or other fish with it (too mean)... fine with coral though and bright as hell. Helfrichi Fire Fish are nice as well. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Maybe Stax rocks? You can well... stack them and have lots of flat surfaces.

If no clowns/blennues/gobies, that leaves... uhh wrasses and basslets? Dottybacks? 

I like the pygmy/tanaka wrasses, gold assesor basslet, chalk bass, neon dottys are gorgeous but you wouldn't be able to keep small shrimp or other fish with it (too mean)... fine with coral though and bright as hell. Helfrichi Fire Fish are nice as well. 

I’ll look into it thanks

21 hours ago, Coolreefer42 said:

Stick to the stronger LED's, as I mentioned in your other thread this will make a world's difference, invest into it. With that said, if you do not care too much about controllability/wifi the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue is hard to beat for the price. It will grow anything you want. I like the AI Prime because it's fully controllable. But it bums me out how it doesn't come with a stock mount and any of their mounts you have to purchase separately. 

While I'm against cheap junk LEDs, I'm not against a used older high end LED. You can get used A80's, Primes, Hydras, Radions (G1), Sols, or Nanobox at good prices used if you're patient and willing to accept not the latest and greatest.

Look into Vida Rocks, my buddy used some in his IM10 and it was GORGEOUS. I think they're man made but I could be wrong.

If you have a lid, a pair of firefish. My personal favorite. Looking for a helfrichi ($$$) myself. But they are hard to sex so you usually have to buy a few and try to see if you end up with a pair.

Basslets are also cool. 

Small wrasses too like a 6line or possum. 

No worries, glad to help. Also glad you decided to stick with it, the hobby is going to have it's ups and down but if the passion is there, you'll stay in no matter what, I've seen this myself. 

I'm always open to shoot ideas around, feel free to reply here or drop me a PM. 

5 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

Stick to the stronger LED's, as I mentioned in your other thread this will make a world's difference, invest into it. With that said, if you do not care too much about controllability/wifi the Kessil A80 Tuna Blue is hard to beat for the price. It will grow anything you want. I like the AI Prime because it's fully controllable. But it bums me out how it doesn't come with a stock mount and any of their mounts you have to purchase separately. 

While I'm against cheap junk LEDs, I'm not against a used older high end LED. You can get used A80's, Primes, Hydras, Radions (G1), Sols, or Nanobox at good prices used if you're patient and willing to accept not the latest and greatest.

Look into Vida Rocks, my buddy used some in his IM10 and it was GORGEOUS. I think they're man made but I could be wrong.

If you have a lid, a pair of firefish. My personal favorite. Looking for a helfrichi ($$$) myself. But they are hard to sex so you usually have to buy a few and try to see if you end up with a pair.

Basslets are also cool. 

Small wrasses too like a 6line or possum. 

No worries, glad to help. Also glad you decided to stick with it, the hobby is going to have it's ups and down but if the passion is there, you'll stay in no matter what, I've seen this myself. 

I'm always open to shoot ideas around, feel free to reply here or drop me a PM. 

Fire fish are very good looking, i love the wrasses as well.

main corals I’m going to get or that I want.

red monti cap

German blue polyp monti digi

Purple polyp monti digi

Purple birdsnest

branching hammer coral

Was going to try a peppermint shrimp.

Equipment

AI PRIME HD

AI PRIME MOUNT

inovative marine 10 gallon 

STAX rock also looks great for a setup.

a few hours ago when the lights were on I saw my 3 stripe damsel latched onto my clown fishes tail, so I’m going to ditch him soon.

id rather have one larger better looking fish rather than a few small ones so if I could fit a coral beauty or just an angel that would be good. More fish/ coral recommendations are great too. I’m going to look into the wrasses!

i was worried about the kessil tuna blue being “too blue” and was wondering if it could manage the sps and lps. There was also the tuna sun. I don’t want to get more lights if one doesn’t work so if the ai prime hd works I’m going to stick with that.

but if I can save money and the tuna blue or the tuna sun works let me know.

what is the difference between the sun and blue?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't even consider an angel of any kind. 10 gallons is way too small. ORA has some nice fish you can browse. Otherwise a clown and a basslet or a clown pair would be nice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mystersyster said:

I wouldn't even consider an angel of any kind. 10 gallons is way too small. ORA has some nice fish you can browse. Otherwise a clown and a basslet or a clown pair would be nice. 

Alright. Anything besides clowns or basslets?

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ya way way wayyy too small for an angel. I would give them 30g bare minimum.

You have even less swimming room as coral grows.

Thanks for advice 

2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Possum banded/tanaka's pygmy wrasse will be a good fit for a 10G, I think. Most of the nanofish suitable for a 10G are gobies and blennies though. But a perc. or occy. clownfish pair might also work. 

While I was on vacation my current 15 had 4 fish, when I got back one of my clowns were gone, I couldn’t even find the fish anywhere after moving the rubble around.

im ditching the damsel because it was cheaper than my last living clown and is rude

just last night I saw it clamped on my clowns rear fin!

Ouch! Well, clowns are damsels as well, so they can be jerks. You can browse through DD and LA and check out their selection of nanofish or any unique fish that can fit in a 10G. They have some interesting choices from time to time. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Coolreefer42 said:

Fire fish are very good looking, i love the wrasses as well.

Again, firefish are my favorite, if you're going to have one show piece fish, look into the Helfrichi, not cheap but very pretty. Since reds and purples are much cheaper it's cost effective to find a pair.

main corals I’m going to get or that I want.

red monti cap

German blue polyp monti digi

Purple polyp monti digi

Purple birdsnest

branching hammer coral

For a 10g, I'd be against any caps, because of their growth pattern. You'd constantly need to be breaking it instead of enjoying it and they will shadow over other corals easily if allowed to grow. I used to have many different caps and some the size of dinner plates in my old 125, I miss them but not how much space they took up.

Acro's, milli's, birdsnest, Pocci's, Stylo's I would try over caps.

Was going to try a peppermint shrimp.

Not my cup of tea, the ones I tried always hid AND didn't eat aiptasia, waste of money to me. Same with fire/blood red shrimp. Only cleaners are active and curious for me but still remaining peaceful unlike coral bandits.

Equipment

AI PRIME HD

AI PRIME MOUNT

i was worried about the kessil tuna blue being “too blue” and was wondering if it could manage the sps and lps. There was also the tuna sun. I don’t want to get more lights if one doesn’t work so if the ai prime hd works I’m going to stick with that.

what is the difference between the sun and blue?

Tuna sun is more for freshwater planted as it mimics the kelvin range of ~4000-9000K which is too yellow for a reef tank unless you're into that kinda stuff..... Tuna blue is more for reefs with a kelvin range of 10,000-20,000K. Both are adjustable but unless you get the kessil controller, it's by hand using knobs.

If money isn't an object I'd say AI Prime > A80 but the A80 will get the job done and is a powerful light for what it is. I do like the cool features and flexibility with control with the AI Prime over the A80.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

Again, firefish are my favorite, if you're going to have one show piece fish, look into the Helfrichi, not cheap but very pretty. Since reds and purples are much cheaper it's cost effective to find a pair.

For a 10g, I'd be against any caps, because of their growth pattern. You'd constantly need to be breaking it instead of enjoying it and they will shadow over other corals easily if allowed to grow. I used to have many different caps and some the size of dinner plates in my old 125, I miss them but not how much space they took up.

Acro's, milli's, birdsnest, Pocci's, Stylo's I would try over caps.

Not my cup of tea, the ones I tried always hid AND didn't eat aiptasia, waste of money to me. Same with fire/blood red shrimp. Only cleaners are active and curious for me but still remaining peaceful unlike coral bandits.

Tuna sun is more for freshwater planted as it mimics the kelvin range of ~4000-9000K which is too yellow for a reef tank unless you're into that kinda stuff..... Tuna blue is more for reefs with a kelvin range of 10,000-20,000K. Both are adjustable but unless you get the kessil controller, it's by hand using knobs.

If money isn't an object I'd say AI Prime > A80 but the A80 will get the job done and is a powerful light for what it is. I do like the cool features and flexibility with control with the AI Prime over the A80.

I think I’ll stick with the prime, id rather ditch other corals and put the cap in a different spot, I want a cap as a showpiece. I’ve always wanted one! Even if it creates shadows I’d much rather have that then zoos leather etc.

10 hours ago, Coolreefer42 said:

I think I’ll stick with the prime, id rather ditch other corals and put the cap in a different spot, I want a cap as a showpiece. I’ve always wanted one! Even if it creates shadows I’d much rather have that then zoos leather etc.

If caps are on your mind, mix them. I used to glue frags of different colors near each other on one rock/frag plug and let them grow into each other. I’d have a red/green/purple ring lol. Just don’t let them touch when gluing or they start a chemical ware fare and kill each other, they have to grow into each other.

3 hours ago, Fish_Wiz said:

If caps are on your mind, mix them. I used to glue frags of different colors near each other on one rock/frag plug and let them grow into each other. I’d have a red/green/purple ring lol. Just don’t let them touch when gluing or they start a chemical ware fare and kill each other, they have to grow into each other.

I’m getting green and red caps! Also purple and blue digi Capps. I’ll try that thanks! Sounds cool!