Coral Vue Hydros

Red Sea Reefer 170

20pilot

Thanks guys! Slowly draining the water out the overflow box took the longest. Now just working to get the gurgling noise down, making adjustments every 15 min, but is already noticeably more quiet.

I had a little more free time, so I figured I would work on some of the projects. Mounted the Kent Maxxima RODI, now just need to order new filters. Anyone know if these are the replacements? https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-ro-di-replacement-filter-kit.html

I was thinking 2 10gallon brute cans to house the top-off and saltwater. The water will be in the garage which is the wall right behind the tank. So I may just drill a hole thru the wall to run top off water to The tank directly. Also need to order a top off. 

Thanks again for all of the help! 

A39CAC22-A680-420A-8B45-03FF654501DD.jpeg

• Like 1

Got the filters all ordered. I received the Apex today. I got it with the EB8, pm2, breakout box, ph, temp, and salinity probe. Now I just need to figure out how to hook it up, lol. This is all new to me, so it should be interesting. Hopefully its pretty easy to configure.

Also, I'm still working on adjusting the overflow valve, still having a problem getting it to quiet down some more. It seems I just keep turning and no change.

Hi mate. Glad you got your plumbing sorted. I am new here but have had the Reefer 170 about a year now and love it. There will be gurgling now and again depending on your filter media and sump water levels (which ideally should remain constant if your ATO is working as it should) I have a filter cup with floss in place of the sock as I hated cleaning it out every few days....now I just bin the floss when it’s dirty and replace it a couple of times a week, no hassle. As the floss fills with detritus and becomes more choked the water flowing through it backs up slightly raising the level in the overflow reservoir and it starts coming down the emergency drain pipe, this makes a gurgling/gushing sound which can be dialled out with the knob/valve in the cabinet down pipe, it also serves as a reminder that the floss is needing changed. One mod I made early on was removing the plastic knurled adjuster on the ATO valve as I found it got clogged very easy. If you move the ball/float so that it is as far up as it will go and set your water height there, when the water drops it just lets water straight through from the ATO and the float shuts it off again when the water level is correct, so negates the need for the adjuster, simplifying things somewhat and removing a potential blockage and water levels going out of kilter.....I can  take pics if it’s something you would like to try. Good luck with the tank it’s, great once you get to know it.

Hey Fin,

Thanks for the help. I wound up getting it to quiet down. It took a while to get it dialed in but I am now very happy with it. I need to get the ATO going to help keep the water at that level, which will keep the noise down. 

Im in the process of organizing the cabinet, installing an apex classic, hanging up all the controllers for pumps and powerhead. While doing this, it looks like I got a hitchhiker in the rocks. Could someone help ID him, just want to make sure he is reef safe.

shrimp.JPG

shrimp1.JPG