Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stange brown water and mysterious fish death

CoralStorm

16 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

my fish are all working together my only issue is a suddenly aggesuve male clown cause they might be spawning which i assume is normal? and usually the fish put up with it

Females are the dominant fish and aggressors.  

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

my fish are all working together my only issue is a suddenly aggesuve male clown cause they might be spawning which i assume is normal? and usually the fish put up with it

I highly doubt your clowns are spawning in that short of time. Most likely he is protecting his mate from the other clown and other fish. 

Agree with others about steam distilled. Walmart sells it for around $1/gallon. Start using this for topping off. 

You should be doing water changes 10-20% weekly which includes siphoning out the sand bed, removing water and adding newly mixed salt water in. 

When you say you’re sorta doing water changes by topping up, what are you topping up with? Salt or fresh water? 

• Like 1

Also, looks like you’ve got a bacterial bloom going on. Most likely you need better filtration including a high quality carbon, better flow and surface agitation and more frequent water changes. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mcarroll said:

After the lights out is a different environment for your fish than daytime.   Most of us asume the tank just sleeps and don't spend any appreciable time watching the tank after lights-out.

After lights-out can be one of the most dangerous times for a fish – even if they seem to be working together during the day.

Not to understate the potential of your clown situation....all stresses are cumulative.

at night i run my blue leds to still keep some light coming through like their natural enviroment nd i watch my stuff sleep my goby disappers into a hole under the lr my chromis hide away into the rockwork my cleaner wrasse gets itself 'inside tiny holes in the rock my damsel heads to the chromis and hangs around there OR hides jn a small hut that i made on accedent while cleaning the rockwork my clowns hang around the zame spot the female is during the day in a remote corner of the tank my tomato clown sleeps in the top corner of the tank where the powerhead is point away from and  near the heater my shrimp and crabs do the opposite and leave and go to different parts of the tank

Just now, CoralStorm said:

at night i run my blue leds to still keep some light coming through like their natural enviroment nd i watch my stuff sleep my goby disappers into a hole under the lr my chromis hide away into the rockwork my cleaner wrasse gets itself 'inside tiny holes in the rock my damsel heads to the chromis and hangs around there OR hides jn a small hut that i made on accedent while cleaning the rockwork my clowns hang around the zame spot the female is during the day in a remote corner of the tank my tomato clown sleeps in the top corner of the tank where the powerhead is point away from and  near the heater my shrimp and crabs do the opposite and leave and go to different parts of the tank

i stil know that its a possibility but if during the night they are at the opposite side of the tank i find it unlikely

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ReefWeeds said:

I highly doubt your clowns are spawning in that short of time. Most likely he is protecting his mate from the other clown and other fish. 

Agree with others about steam distilled. Walmart sells it for around $1/gallon. Start using this for topping off. 

You should be doing water changes 10-20% weekly which includes siphoning out the sand bed, removing water and adding newly mixed salt water in. 

When you say you’re sorta doing water changes by topping up, what are you topping up with? Salt or fresh water? 

fresh water not to put the salinity up too much as salt just stays in the water meaning i  use freshwater. usually do a 40 percent water change every month

and the clowns were bought together from an lfs togwther from the same tsnk for months before buying them and the male being protective is very unusual to what ususally happened for the firat few weeks

36 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

fresh water not to put the salinity up too much as salt just stays in the water meaning i  use freshwater. usually do a 40 percent water change every month

and the clowns were bought together from an lfs togwther from the same tsnk for months before buying them and the male being protective is very unusual to what ususally happened for the firat few weeks

It may be unusual for the LFS - but they’re in a new environment with another clown so not unusual. My male - and female - are both very territorial. And not spawning. 

• Like 1

Theres a few things that can be changed to make this tank successful and far less complicated and frustrating for you.

In a 55g, there was too many fish in it which leads to high nutrient levels and aggression. This may not be apparent now but will be in the near future.

Everyone has already covered the tap water issue. Distilled can be purchased in most stores for $1.00.

There are also places where you can buy the 18L bottles and return the empties for full ones and for a 55g that's your best bet until you get an rodi unit.

I had crushed coral, it has buffering abilities.

It was always used in the past but became unpopular due to it being a detritus trap.

It needs regular vacuuming to prevent issues.

I personally don't think the hermits are an issue. I have 5+ in a 25g. If anything they help clean crap up.

To turn the tank around

Weekly 10-20% waterchanges with distilled or rodi water. Mix your salt water yourself with a heater and powerhead. Ensure the salinity and temp match the tank.

Top up daily evaporation with rodi or distilled. Make a discreet mark on the tank to ensure you are topping up to the same level every day.

Filtration. I would not use stock filter media. Using filter floss and carbon is a good idea. Both can be purchased in bulk.

Cut floss to size and change twice a week, put carbon in media bags and replace carbon every 2 weeks.

During waterchanges vacuum the crushed coral, use a new Turkey baster on the rocks, scrape glass.

Every other week, suck up food/detritus in the filter and every 2 mnths, clean it out completely. Dirty pumps are inefficient

Add another powerhead, 1 isn't enough in a 55g.

Reduce fish count.

Good luck

• Like 1

my fish count has dropped drastically to 6 chromis a vleaner wrasse and a tomato clown unfortunatley alot have passed after a crash and now is stableising my chomis are in the unstable tank because they are next to impossible to catch and are all normal ather than one or two forming a weird orange stuff on the body which i have no clue on what it is

1 hour ago, CoralStorm said:

my fish count has dropped drastically to 6 chromis a vleaner wrasse and a tomato clown unfortunatley alot have passed after a crash and now is stableising my chomis are in the unstable tank because they are next to impossible to catch and are all normal ather than one or two forming a weird orange stuff on the body which i have no clue on what it is

Do you have a pic of the 'weird orange stuff' on their bodies? Also, a pic of the tank in its current state would be helpful.

WindyCityReefer.

I am sorry, but I just read through this thread as well as the other one you posted about your "tank crashing" and it does not seem like you are taking anyone's advice - only making excuses for why things are going awry.

Please, please, please read through everyone's posted advice and suggestions. You will only hit more obstacles if you do not change your ways. On top of that, you will lose more money and livestock in the process.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

I am sorry, but I just read through this thread as well as the other one you posted about your "tank crashing" and it does not seem like you are taking anyone's advice - only making excuses for why things are going awry.

Please, please, please read through everyone's posted advice and suggestions. You will only hit more obstacles if you do not change your ways. On top of that, you will lose more money and livestock in the process.

I agree 

many very experienced people have been trying to help you with giving very good advice but it seems like you don't want to heed it.

If you want a successful tank, changes need to be made, the other options are allowing the tank to continue down the road to a complete crash or starting all over which will cost a lot more money.

i have been listening i have been doimg extra research and talked to most lfs doing a bit more research i am getting an rodi unit orderd i am doing a 20 percent water change tommorow as i dont have much time during the week tommorow will be my best bet my fish count has dropped by itself and the crash is ending and cloudyness is getting better overtime i dont want to screw with the rocks too much and water changes will be limited to like 10 percent a week until most of the cloudyness disappears then will go to 20 percent i have had nothing much else i can do but wait and even the water change will be needed for tap water because my rodi unit still needs to be shipped as it is while i wait for that a new project to repair a cracked 150 gallon with new glass might start so if all else fails once it has cycled for a month i will move the qt fish into that until i am sure its safe to put them back in the 55 gallon or i might just move them to the 150 forever and use the 55 for freshwater perhaps? im not sure it depends if its over i know what the "orange thing" is and its a kind of fungus i moved them to quarantene and there is nothing much else i can do other than try to medicate them and hope it dies off by itself anyway from now on i wont be constantly replyibg unless there is a question want answered or i just update tank status thanks for the help those who gave it

• Like 1