Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shrimp and Goby combo

dling

5 minutes ago, dling said:

Yea. I didn't think that would happen. I plan on getting another pistol shrimp after work today.

A LFS by where I work has them. The guy said their about 2 inches long,much bigger then one I had.

I dont know if the YWG is still alive. IT's 2.30am and all the lights are out. Hope so.

He's also very small.

Be prepared that the fish might kill this one too. Some fish are jerks. 

I have a small suggestion. How about you place the shrimp in a breeder box and observe your wrasse's reaction towards it? If the wrasse keeps pecking at the breeder box, then it's most likely he'll kill the shrimp again. If he ignores it though, then the shrimp *might be safe. Otherwise, you *might keep losing shrimp to your wrasse, no matter how many shrimp you buy. 

Just added the new tiger tiger pistol iin the tank.Hes much bigger then the other one. Sadly I think the YWG may be dead. The next one will come from a LFS so I can see the size before I purchase it. 

How's the wrasse been with the new pistol?  six lines are super assholes.  I wouldn't be surprised if he killed your original YWG.   Especially in a smaller tank where territory is at a premium.  Your goby might still be alive and just hiding deep in your rock work since he doesn't have a pistol to dig him a home.  My YWG was only maybe an inch long in total when I got him and he acted super strange until I introduced a new pistol for him to bond too.  

I have a possum wrasse. He is super adorable, tiny, and the most peaceful but energetic fish I've ever seen.  So glad I got him instead of another more common wrasse species.  Only issue I have with him is he is super picky on eating.  Little bastard will only eat dried bloodworms.  Not mysis, krill, brine, flake, pellets, nothiinng eellseeee.   He does nom live amphipods though.  

You don't.  They will find each other on their own and become best buds.  It can take anywhere from a day to many weeks too many months.  Don't try to force it or you risk one hurting the other.

• Like 1

Okay. Thanks. Haven't seen the goby for a few days. Not sure if it's still alive . Also I'm not sure how they will find each other. The shrimp has now made a cave home for himself.  He's not out and about. 

sorry for the crappy pic. Its a phone . But the GREAT new is that the shrimp and goby are together.

Im really happy that the goby is alive for one and that they are together as I had hoped .

• Like 2

See! Told ya.  They find each other in vast ocean reefs, they will definitely find each other in a small tank. 😄

As the goby grows up it will get more comfortable with you and the other inhabitants as well.  Mine just recently started swimming all the way to the surface to get dried bloodworms that float on the top that I feed my possum wrasse with.  I've had my Goby for about 8 months now and he JUST started doing this.  He also will swim out of his hole and hover in front of the glass where ever I'm at looking at the tank. He knows his food comes from me.   Also gets excited when he sees me pick up the bottle of food lol.

Just keep your tank stable, don't over feed.  No need to target feed the pistol or anything, he eats goby left overs and will scavenge your sand bed as well.   If you provide lots of rock rubble pieces and old shells he will use that to build his home and spend less time stealing snails and frags as building materials.

Thats good to know about the goby. As of now they both in the cave the the shrimp as made.

I'm super happy that all seems well with them. Also thanks for the info about the target feeding for the

shrimp,I was planning on doing that. Now I won't.