ReefCleaners.org

Bored with tank

Coolreefer42

When ever I see someone’s tank I look at mine and get bored, I’ve been in the hobby for two years and been through 2-3 tanks. My current is a 15 gallon nano with 3 fish and 12-14 types of coral and tons of hitchhikers. (Most good) 

i dont know what to do I don’t want to sell my fish and coral to someone that doesn’t know what to do and they all die. 

It’s just become boring and more of a routine to me. 

I also dislike the tall tank, I thought it would look good upon purchasing but I just can’t stand it anymore.image.thumb.jpg.16ad6cc728b5ef74f78261a91f25f144.jpg

Any my advice to help me with making me enjoy the tank more?

(photo is foggy from turning the sand while feeding coral, sorry)

2 minutes ago, Coolreefer42 said:

When ever I see someone’s tank I look at mine and get bored, I’ve been in the hobby for two years and been through 2-3 tanks. My current is a 15 gallon nano with 3 fish and 12-14 types of coral and tons of hitchhikers. (Most good) 

i dont know what to do I don’t want to sell my fish and coral to someone that doesn’t know what to do and they all die. 

I also dislike the tall tank, I thought it would look good upon purchasing but I just can’t stand it anymore.image.thumb.jpg.16ad6cc728b5ef74f78261a91f25f144.jpg

Get some new exciting stuff in there!

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Did think of checking craigslist for a new tank? Get something with some depth? I have found a few nice tanks from people getting out and some pretty good deals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Coolreefer42 said:

Pockets are too shallow for some exciting stuff, lol. I’m just out of ideas. 

First of all....... scrape that glass!! You’ve got to be able to see in there. lol

i feel like it needs something  tall and wavy to break up that tall rock work.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Budget reef like I do. Hoard cheap frags of underestimated corals that catch your eye. The usual stuff - like leathers, mushrooms and zoas which don't have fancy names (and no fancy prices attached to them). You can also rescape, although you're limited with the dimensions of the tank you currently have.

If you really, really can't stand it, take it down and restart, but this time, go with a solid plan in mind. Build the tank around the animals you wish to keep, rather than figuring out what animals you wish to keep in the tank you currently have. (Hope I made sense somehow).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Just now, WV Reefer said:

First of all....... scrape that glass!! You’ve got to be able to see in there. lol

i feel like it needs something tall and tall and wavy to break up that tall rock work.  

Yes the glass is filthy I let it get bad while I’m vacation!  I have a photo a little while ago after cleaning. I was thinking a bird nest but it isn’t as wavy as the other one I’m thinking of

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

So I just looked at craigslist and someone is selling a 65 gallon almost cube tank and stand for 150! omgomgomg...damn thing is brand new I might buy it just because 

• Wow 2
Just now, Coolreefer42 said:

Yes the glass is filthy I let it get bad while I’m vacation!  I have a photo a little while ago after cleaning. I was thinking a bird nest but it isn’t as wavy as the other one I’m thinking of

Anything really.  It just needs more shape in there. 

Reefing is a "long game" kind of hobby. MANY of the tanks you look at that look amazing have been running and growing for years to get to where they are. In this hobby, you cannot set up a tank and immediately have a TOTM worthy system. Also, exciting does not have to be expensive. My most expensive coral is my gold tip torch. You can spend a small fortune if you only buy colonies, instead you can get frags, and watch them grow to the size of a colony. Enjoy the maintenance and seeing your efforts translate into a successful reef tank. If you are unable to enjoy the maintenance and just let the tank grow out, this is probably not the best hobby for you. Reefing definitely breeds, and requires, a lot of patience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Budget reef like I do. Hoard cheap frags of underestimated corals that catch your eye. The usual stuff - like leathers, mushrooms and zoas which don't have fancy names (and no fancy prices attached to them). You can also rescape, although you're limited with the dimensions of the tank you currently have.

If you really, really can't stand it, take it down and restart, but this time, go with a solid plan in mind. Build the tank around the animals you wish to keep, rather than figuring out what animals you wish to keep in the tank you currently have. (Hope I made sense somehow).

I enjoy the corals and love the zoos, green nuclear and some other great color ones, the Kenya is always a personal favorite along with my Duncan’s. (They weren’t cheap imo) besides the leather. It’s just not as appealing as before 

• Like 1

What kind of light do you have? 

I see so much potential for that tank, my tank is not much bigger (20 gallon Elos) so I can definitely make some suggestions. Your lighting is dim, glass is a bit dirty, and not much diversity in coral and fish which can definitely make things boring.

If it were me, I'd get a better light and would add:

Coral-wise:

Some frogspawn, hammer, or torch corals

Lots of different color zoas

Lots of different mushrooms

Some acans

Livestock wise:

Pair of cleaner shrimps

Pair of designer clowns

Remove the old clown and damsels. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, lpsouth1978 said:

Reefing is a "long game" kind of hobby. MANY of the tanks you look at that look amazing have been running and growing for years to get to where they are. In this hobby, you cannot set up a tank and immediately have a TOTM worthy system. Also, exciting does not have to be expensive. My most expensive coral is my gold tip torch. You can spend a small fortune if you only buy colonies, instead you can get frags, and watch them grow to the size of a colony. Enjoy the maintenance and seeing your efforts translate into a successful reef tank. If you are unable to enjoy the maintenance and just let the tank grow out, this is probably not the best hobby for you. Reefing definitely breeds, and requires, a lot of patience.

Yes I understand with the patience, I watched my small GSP frag take over a fist sized rock quickly and it felt rewarding, my Duncan’s sprouted 5-6 new heads after constant feeding. And a 10 polyp zoo drag grow close to a hundred, I understand but I don’t know how to put it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Fish_Wiz said:

I see so much potential for that tank, my tank is not much bigger (20 gallon Elos) so I can definitely make some suggestions. Your lighting is dim, glass is a bit dirty, and not much diversity in coral and fish which can definitely make things boring.

Coral-wise:

Some acans

Livestock wise:

Pair of cleaner shrimps

Pair of designer clowns

I really want to buy a flame angel but my tank is just a tad bit small for the recommend size tank. I wouldn’t care dropping the striped damsel but he was my first saltwater fish and is as old as the tank. 

I have a euphillia coral with three heads. 

A hammer was was always a looker for me but the price I couldn’t get to, my closest LFS is an hour to two hours away so gas also effects the price of the coral.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Coolreefer42 said:

I really want to buy a flame angel but my tank is just a tad bit small for the recommend size tank. I wouldn’t care dropping the striped damsel but he was my first saltwater fish and is as old as the tank. 

I have a euphillia coral with three heads. 

A hammer was was always a looker for me but the price I couldn’t get to, my closest LFS is an hour to two hours away so gas also effects the price of the coral.

What kind of light is on that tank?

Also yeah skip the flame, none of the ones I tried were reef-safe and costed me a lot in damage. I'm anti-damsel so for me, even if it has sentimental value, it's got to go. On the other hand, I currently have a pair of seahorses, and not to be dramatic but I'd die for them.

Have you considered ordering online?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Fish_Wiz said:

Coral-wise:

Some acans

Livestock wise:

Pair of cleaner shrimps

Pair of designer clowns

The light is also old and had saltwater get on the chip when a tube on a pump exploded off the pump but I quickly blew the light with an air compressor, it is a lacking light non branded.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Coolreefer42 said:

The light is also old and had saltwater get on the chip when a tube on a pump exploded off the pump but I quickly blew the light with an air compressor, it is a lacking light non branded.

Are you willing to upgrade this? I'll tell you now, it makes a NIGHT and DAY difference. I was using a cheap-o LED during cycling and it was so bland and ugly. Once tank cycled and I was able to move my AI Prime, WOW. While you don't need to spend a big bucks on something like an AI Prime there are certain budget LEDs to look out for instead of buying whatever you see online.

6 minutes ago, Fish_Wiz said:

Are you willing to upgrade this? I'll tell you now, it makes a NIGHT and DAY difference. I was using a cheap-o LED during cycling and it was so bland and ugly. Once tank cycled and I was able to move my AI Prime, WOW. While you don't need to spend a big bucks on something like an AI Prime there are certain budget LEDs to look out for instead of buying whatever you see online.

I purchased this one after my fluval went out, had no money to purchase another higher end one. I’ve looked into the AI prime and it seems like a nice light but I need somthing that can penetrate the amount of water 

If you've gone through 2-3 tanks and have only been reef keeping for two years and are bored, maybe it just isn't for you. 

You still have a ton of room for corals in that tank, so I'd be excited about filling it up. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Coolreefer42 said:

I purchased this one after my fluval went out, had no money to purchase another higher end one. I’ve looked into the AI prime and it seems like a nice light but I need somthing that can penetrate the amount of water 

It'll penetrate just fine, my tank is only 18" deep but I only have the AI Prime at less than 30%, too scared to crank it up my corals, macros, and gorgs are already going crazy. I also have the older non-HD as I got it used for a steal, if you can get your hands on a HD Prime, I wouldn't even break a sweat.

53 minutes ago, Coolreefer42 said:

Re-scaping, to me, is the best way to re-ignite interest.  Sometimes you're just get bored at looking at the same old thing.  

remove some rocks and get some side wall magnetic shelf/shelves or DIY one.  Make things vertically interesting.  your tank has too small of a footprint to load up all the rocks in the middle, It just looks like a big pile of rock.  It does look like you tried to make layers of rocks interesting with limited space you have tho 👍

I second the AI prime HD idea above - plenty of power.    

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

If you've gone through 2-3 tanks and have only been reef keeping for two years and are bored, maybe it just isn't for you. 

You still have a ton of room for corals in that tank, so I'd be excited about filling it up. 

I think that might be it, my first tank got crashed when an anemone got chopped in a power head, second was awful and leaked.

2 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Re-scaping, to me, is the best way to re-ignite interest.  Sometimes you're just get bored at looking at the same old thing.  

remove some rocks and get some side wall magnetic shelf/shelves or DIY one.  Make things vertically interesting.  your tank has too small of a footprint to load up all the rocks in the middle, It just looks like a big pile of rock.  It does look like you tried to make layers of rocks interesting with limited space you have tho 👍

I second the AI prime HD idea above - plenty of power.    

Thanks, I’ve moved and moved rocks around, I was thinking about purchasing a 10 gallon long/ regular to refresh the whole deal.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Coolreefer42 said:

Pockets are too shallow for some exciting stuff, lol. I’m just out of ideas. 

Nothing wrong with trying a different hobby....IMO that what it sounds like you're looking for.

If you want to keep doing something with aquariums, then consider NOT doing saltwater as a change. 

Switching the tank over to brackish is the easiest option.

To do that you just need to stick with brackish fish that like saltwater (eg. Mollies, others).

Or, alternately, sell off your saltwater livestock so you can consider even more brackish animals that might prefer fresh vs salt as they grow.

Switching completely to freshwater has to be the lease expensive option.

Of course maybe doing something other than aquariums would make more sense...you'd have to tell us that part.  

(FYI, don't let anyone tell you freshwater tanks can't be as cool as saltwater....that's just a limited viewpoint talking. ;))