Pod Your Reef

Gracilaria Hayi question

vereef

I'm thinking about putting some Gracilaria Hayi in my display tank. I only have cerith and trochus snails (and a pair of clowns). Will either of these snails eat G. Hayi? I heard that this variety of Graclaria is calcareous, which is suppose to be snail resistant? 

I also have chaeto in a refugium (reverse cycle). Will there be any competition/concerns with the chaeto or even my corals? I'm a newbie; so, still learning the balance of it all.

Thanks!

G Hayi will do well.  It does not normally attach.  Wedge inbetween rocks or use fishing line to tie it.   Under low light, it will colorup dark burgundy.  As light gets brighter color will shift to fire engine red.  Under intense light it will colir up yelowo/orange, but not attractive  like Dragons Breath.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Will the DT lights be enough for macros? I want to do some in my tank to help with nutrient export plus I think it will look good having some plant life in the tank. I have an AI prime HD in my 20g

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Soon I'm hoping after the holidays ill start really looking for some nice macros. I have a lawnmower blenny that I'm sure would like a snack lol.

5 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Soon I'm hoping after the holidays ill start really looking for some nice macros. I have a lawnmower blenny that I'm sure would like a snack lol.

Yeah, lighting and food value for your blenny will depend on the specific macro.

That site I gave has a nice directory of different macros. It'll also tell you the food value. For example, the food value for the Ulva Sp. is "Very Palatable." But who knows if your blenny will like it. 

• Thanks 1