SaltCritters.com

Revamp Reef

righttirefire

righttirefire

Hello again Nano-reef,

This is a sumped 20 long, its been the evolution of the original 20 tall. My reef experience started a few years agos mostly driven by nano-reef, Thanks @Christopher Marks for building this awesome community.

The original 20 tall, became my first sump. The system was upgraded, modified, crashed, disassembled to move, re-piped, new sump design, brought back into operation, and negelected.

Here is my bubble algea farm, Nov 24th. This is my starting point

20181124_084056.jpg

• Like 4
righttirefire

Here is the same tank, Jan 14th, 2017, this was about the peak of the reef. I was slowing ramping up my light and that turned out to be what i feel crashed the tank. Burn up my corals, drove my BTAS into insanity, and ultimately lead to shut down and storage of this system before the move.

20170114_091243.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
righttirefire

Cleaned the 2nd of 3 rocks and did a water change. 

Here is the 1st rock after removing it from the tank. Letting the corals recede or slime. Knocking off the bubbes. In a small glass mix saltwater 50/50 with vinegar. And rescrub the rock being careful around the corals. Dip in the saltwater. Rescrub with vinegar solution. And dip/rinse with saltwater before added back to tank. The monti seemed to have flesh scurbed off the encrusting, but is recovering. The pinwheel candycane is still a little deflated. And some zoas are starting to open and bounce back.

And the tub of bubbles from the 2nd rock. It got the same treatment. And the mongrove got the bubbles removed from its roots, no vinegar.

20181125_082456.jpg

20181129_191111.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
righttirefire

I have the last hold out rock for bubbe algea and during next weeks water change it'll be cleaned up. The return piping will get cleaned up too. The last week clean up will be the sump... 

I told the princess about a rainbow BTA, guess who's stopping after work for a BTA?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
righttirefire

As eluded to pictures!

The last stronghold of bubble algea nation. It also plays host to a majestic little colony of flatworms.

The freshly cleaned up zoa rock, and cave of solitude for the pistol shrimp, who hasnt been able to keep roommate, we're looking for a new partner. *drumroll* Soon to home to the rock of the traveling BTA

And finally the original cleanup rock and its new coral inhabitants, with a photobomb of the Springer Damsel. Blood mary monti on top, sour apple birdnest, forest fire monti, and someother worthless name encrusting monti.

20181130_153645.jpg

20181130_153624.jpg

20181130_153612(0).jpg

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

The evening wanders of a BTA... i wish it would stay where i put it... but no... lets attach to zoas...

20181130_190129.jpg

20181130_190111.jpg

I was just thinking about trying one for the first time but then I think of it hitting one of my mp40s and I change my mind again.  

• Like 1
righttirefire

I had one travel into my mp10... 3 times. And i ending up burning it with my light. It retracted into a cave and shrunk out of existance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
righttirefire

So it settled last night on the side of the rock, the big clown buried into BTA last night and its starting to extend and open up today despite the constant attention from the clowns

20181201_082913.jpg

• Like 2
righttirefire

You can tell the BTA is already stinging the zoas... but the acans and favia on the other rock were getting stung too. So i had to rotate the rock. Now the BTA is looking out the front glass. Sorry zoas

20181201_120949.jpg

righttirefire

Look who turned up. Before the major cleanup. I dropped in 2 emerald crabs. About a week later i pulled out what i believes was a corpus... jokes on me. Here is proofni have 2 emeralds who dont like bubble algea.

20181205_161725.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Holy shit you have a tank............great another thread to muck up :wink:

You need picture help also.........to many fingers and feet in the pics even though I know kimber loves them toes..........

• Like 1

Hey if you need some more rock....................let me know all mine is going to the LFS soon.......will have plenty of growth on it also.......zoas galore maybe a SPS or a gorg............

On 12/7/2018 at 7:26 PM, righttirefire said:

I have a bucket of rock in the garage. All in salt water. What are you going with all your rock? Drop your tank here on the way by

changing out my big tank to some other rock.....tired of the look its time for a face lift...........

righttirefire
Just now, spectra said:

changing out my big tank to some other rock.....tired of the look its time for a face lift...........

Just upgrade. 500 gallons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
righttirefire

Merry Christmas,

2 of the RFAs imploded. One ripped to it mouth and turned itself inside out and the fish started picking at it. The other looked like a raisin has no sticky left and turned inside out too. Rough couple days. The other 2 are hige and open and happy. Who knows?

The BTA's original adventures stung this acan. Its recoveringn slowly.

The BTA has walked to the glass, but all is good

20181224_093344.jpg

20181224_093415.jpg

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
18 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

Merry Christmas,

2 of the RFAs imploded. One ripped to it mouth and turned itself inside out and the fish started picking at it. The other looked like a raisin has no sticky left and turned inside out too. Rough couple days. The other 2 are hige and open and happy. Who knows?

The BTA's original adventures stung this acan. Its recoveringn slowly.

The BTA has walked to the glass, but all is good

20181224_093344.jpg

20181224_093415.jpg

Oh man sorry to hear about the rock flowers :sad:. I hope the acan recovers for you. Does that happen from just a single touch or repeated touching?

righttirefire
14 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh man sorry to hear about the rock flowers :sad:. I hope the acan recovers for you. Does that happen from just a single touch or repeated touching?

The BTA walked to the side of the rock at some point after introduction amd was within about 1.5" of the acan. When I woke up i noticed it had been sweeping into the acans. I kept an eye on it for a an hour to see if it was still walking and when i was satisfied it was going to stay put. I rotated the rock the BTA was on. So I was in contact for possibly up to 8 hours? Its been 2 weeks. And the most damaged head is still showing skeleton but it is puffing out and putting out its feeding tenticles, so im assuming it will come around