lonewonderer

Kalkwasser strength

Hello everyone, I just have a quick question about kalkwasser strength. I have a 2 liter container that could fit my cabinet. Now my tank uses 300ml kalk daily, My question is that can I up the dose of the kalk powder to reduce the dosing amount lets say to 100ml per night instead of 300ml? Is this doable? if not why not? thank you all!

I assume you are using a doser? If so the Kalkwasser solution that you create is at a certain concentrate and so no matter how much kalk powder you add the concentration will remain the same. I use a kalk stirrer and dose RO water into the container that when added drips the same amount of kalk solution into my sump. The benefit of this is that I can add more kalk powder than can be in solution that will dissolve into the solution as the solution is added to the sump. This requires less frequent addition of kalk powder over time. That said as my corals demands go up I still have to dose more to keep up. I have a 34g Reefer 170 and I dose a little more than 400ml daily.

• Like 2

Yes i use a BRS 1.1ml doser. The tank is a 60 gallon mix reef. 50% sps, 35% lps and 15% softie. Just want to make sure if its doable. So in my 2 liter container i put 3/4 tsp powder and dose 300ml per day. So if i do 1.5 tbps kalk for the 2 liter container, do you think its safe to dose 150ml per day? thanks for helping btw

2tsp per gallon is the max kalk that can be saturated into water. 

If your not meeting demand up it by 1/2tsp per gallon and test until your levels remain stable. If you get to 2tsp per gallon and still can't meet demand then you'll have to do something else to meet demand. 

• Like 1

yeah I was thinking to start doing 2 part since I already prepared some baked baking soda. 

You could also add vinegar to the kalk to allow a little more to saturate. But then you are also vinager dosing as well and have to deal with what that entails . So, you'd have to decide if that's something you want to do. 

• Like 1

You might want to look at balling or 2 part. I just switched to balling because it gives you a lot more control

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions