Coral Vue Hydros

New tank

Curtis_Rose

Started by setting up my fluval evo 12 three weeks ago and I got it to cycle I used live rock and turbo start. Took about a week and half watched my ammonia go up and the nitrites appear and then nitrates. What’s the first two demminish then I drove them up again and then dissipated over twenty four hours. I have done a lot of freshwater but this is my first salt water tank so I kno my nitrogen cycle well. Now when my cycle finished I saw abt 20 ppm of nitrates and then did a 2 gallon water change and added a clean up crew two snails and 3 hermits. My nitrate went down to 10 ppm There was a diatom bloom and they had lots to eat and are happy campers. Adding fish Sunday plan to do another another water change Saturday morning. I went to check my levels tonight to see what I’m at. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and only 5 ppm nitrate I tested twice to be sure (shook the holy crap outta bottle 2). So my question is why the drop in nitrates? 

Tank is upgraded to a 250 gph pump so lots of flow and adding a aquami kps soon. Running marine pure and lr rubble in the sump.

• 3 weeks later...

What test kit are you using?  Sounds like API based on shaking of the second bottle.  API is notorious for faulty readings on nitrate tests. Recommend purchasing a red sea or salifert nitrate kit for more accurate readings.