Snazxy

The Snazxy Reef

Snazxy

About Me and This Tank    (TLDR at bottom)

So a few years ago (about 4) my family and I were getting cichlids for my little brother's bow-front from this little shop that our uncle recommended. Keep note that the closest thing Ive ever seen close to a reef tank was a shark-filled-false-coral tank at Seaworld. As soon as I stepped into those doors I was greeted by a 32 gal Biocube. As fast as a blink of an eye I was hooked, not just by the clownfish playing around in a foot long circumference of a bubbletip anemone, but as to what I noticed as those alien like creatures that I have roughly known as coral from the books in the elementary library (I was a big reader). I was mesmerized by the beauty of a 30 gallon box of water to the point where my parents had to pull me away from the dang thing. Naturally I was pissed and refused to leave the thing. But my parents told me to check something out. I round the corner see a room full of frag tanks, my jaw dropped. That day was the day that I owned my first reef tank. We got a Fluval Spec 5 gal, some live rock, live sand, a small strip light, a clown goby, a firefish, a 6 lined wrasse, and some zoanthids as well as a paly. I had that tank for about three years until we moved and things went down from there, I had my first algae bloom and the tank went out with a boom, everything dead except for a GBG as well as my blue coral banded shrimp (that I still have today lol). I was devastated. Even though I didnt know what I was doing I knew I was on fire, I mean, I had some pretty cool corals as well as a dragonface puffer (that somehow lived about 6 months but sadly died to my firefish -big meany) and on top of that I never did a single waterchange! After that I had nothing but an algae filled tank for about a year.

That brings me to where I am now! Last year for my birthday my parents got me a Fluval Evo 13. BIG learning curve. I had constant algae blooms and the seams even busted. But luckily that gave mw a clean slate-- the best of the slates! I started doing hardcore researching on reefing, and I mean hardcore, as In staying up til 3 AM on school nights (still a strait-A student!) watching videos and browsing forms, until I had a rough Idea of how to properly care for the delicate, money draining art forms we call reef tanks.

As of today I have my Fluval evo 13.5 that only houses about five corals, sad I know but its hard when the closest LFS from where I live as 45 minutes away (an hour if you count Austin traffic). I have also recently bought an AI Prime HD that I got with lawn mowing money😄! Im still learning but since i've been doing water changes algae is at a minimum, only a few spots. Tommoro I will try to add pictures but thanks if you've made it this far through my story. I look forward to adding pics soon!

TLDR; I have been reefing since a young age and I have a Fluval evo 13.5, but srsly this doesn't do my story any justice just read the above lol

• Like 3

WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, Snazxy said:

About Me and This Tank    (TLDR at bottom)

So a few years ago (about 4) my family and I were getting cichlids for my little brother's bow-front from this little shop that our uncle recommended. Keep note that the closest thing Ive ever seen close to a reef tank was a shark-filled-false-coral tank at Seaworld. As soon as I stepped into those doors I was greeted by a 32 gal Biocube. As fast as a blink of an eye I was hooked, not just by the clownfish playing around in a foot long circumference of a bubbletip anemone, but as to what I noticed as those alien like creatures that I have roughly known as coral from the books in the elementary library (I was a big reader). I was mesmerized by the beauty of a 30 gallon box of water to the point where my parents had to pull me away from the dang thing. Naturally I was pissed and refused to leave the thing. But my parents told me to check something out. I round the corner see a room full of frag tanks, my jaw dropped. That day was the day that I owned my first reef tank. We got a Fluval Spec 5 gal, some live rock, live sand, a small strip light, a clown goby, a firefish, a 6 lined wrasse, and some zoanthids as well as a paly. I had that tank for about three years until we moved and things went down from there, I had my first algae bloom and the tank went out with a boom, everything dead except for a GBG as well as my blue coral banded shrimp (that I still have today lol). I was devastated. Even though I didnt know what I was doing I knew I was on fire, I mean, I had some pretty cool corals as well as a dragonface puffer (that somehow lived about 6 months but sadly died to my firefish -big meany) and on top of that I never did a single waterchange! After that I had nothing but an algae filled tank for about a year.

That brings me to where I am now! Last year for my birthday my parents got me a Fluval Evo 13. BIG learning curve. I had constant algae blooms and the seams even busted. But luckily that gave mw a clean slate-- the best of the slates! I started doing hardcore researching on reefing, and I mean hardcore, as In staying up til 3 AM on school nights (still a strait-A student!) watching videos and browsing forms, until I had a rough Idea of how to properly care for the delicate, money draining art forms we call reef tanks.

As of today I have my Fluval evo 13.5 that only houses about five corals, sad I know but its hard when the closest LFS from where I live as 45 minutes away (an hour if you count Austin traffic). I have also recently bought an AI Prime HD that I got with lawn mowing money😄! Im still learning but since i've been doing water changes algae is at a minimum, only a few spots. Tommoro I will try to add pictures but thanks if you've made it this far through my story. I look forward to adding pics soon!

TLDR; I have been reefing since a young age and I have a Fluval evo 13.5, but srsly this doesn't do my story any justice just read the above lol

Pics or it didn't happen!! 😁

Snazxy
Just now, WV Reefer said:

Pics or it didn't happen!! 😁

I could have about two hours ago but winter has the sunset at like 5pm lol! I promise I will get some tomorrow

• Like 1

Snazxy

Ok I promised pics so here y’all go:

8BB209A3-DBD6-4A5E-AE79-631EBDF4141E.jpeg

01382FDD-1AD7-43A3-A441-C997B13D8275.jpeg

9CE12701-AD28-4D34-82CC-64E60EEC4711.jpeg

• Like 1

Snazxy

It didn’t quite download the ones I wanted though lol I’ll try again

AC4A12A2-33DD-4367-BB50-0EE8CEB1C946.jpeg

• Like 2