Pod Your Reef

First SPS ..I could use some advice

Privateer

I bought this ORA stylophora from Live Aquaria and was unaware of the different plugs they use. My problem is, even if I cut the tip off of the plug the coral is encrusted around the bottom of the top...how do I attach this to my rockwork? Should I cut the frag away from the plug or glue over what has encrusted?

IMG_20181128_124531_424_zps0bxeuaav.jpg

• Like 1

I'd just glue the plug to the rock as is. In a month or so it will blend in with the rock and/or the coral will have over growth the plug anyways. I wouldn't worry to much about how it looks today, assuming the coral lives, it will be invisible in the future. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Privateer said:

I bought this ORA stylophora from Live Aquaria and was unaware of the different plugs they use. My problem is, even if I cut the tip off of the plug the coral is encrusted around the bottom of the top...how do I attach this to my rockwork? Should I cut the frag away from the plug or glue over what has encrusted?

IMG_20181128_124531_424_zps0bxeuaav.jpg

I hate those type of plugs. 😡 

ORA PLUGS ARE EVIL!!

I ended up cutting my coral off and then putting the plug on a frag rack to grow a new evil frag for someone else. 

You could also just cut off the end and glue the underside down but bone cutters won't do it... you need like a saw or something. Grrr Evil ORA! 

• Like 2

I vote the same as @Cannedfish.  Like seemingly most things, this can be fixed with nothing more than patience. 😉 

Buy local next time so you won't be surprised again that way!! 🙂

Live rock is also very soft/easy to drill, so drilling out the hole with (e.g.) a masonry bit so the new frag fits better is also a fine option.  

(Better IMO than needlessly disturbing your new coral just because it came on a frag plug.)