Pod Your Reef

Is 1.023 salinity too low for a reef tank ?

C2 da fish

So I am currently running my tank using instant ocean reef crystals and everything seems to be doing  great my salinity is at 1.024 but I want to bring it down to 1.023 it recently went up my salinity and going to bring it back down because My local fish store says my salinity needs to be 1.023 if my calcium is  410-420 and to choose a salinity and match certain calcium and alkalinity parameters and if I’m planning to keep my parameter at 420 ca 8.0 alk 1350 using instant ocean reef crystals I should keep the salinity at 1.023 and dose to keep those parameter and with a higher salinity the doesages and ca , alk go up so if I want to keep my ca at 450 I should be 1.025 or 1.026 salinity  something like that makes some sense I guess from what I understand they told me to  do this awhile ago but I have just be doing water changes but I have been going more often to my LFS and they suggested I do that again is that correct ?  And when I lowered my salinity I did notice my corals seem to react better Does anyone have experience with that ? Is that just to have more growth and not necessary the changing salinity part ? Sounds very confusing ?

Hmmm...

Most people will agree that you'd be better off at 1.024, 1.025, or even 1 026.  You'll see some anomalies, but these are typically the norm.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether calcium is 420 or 450.  Just try to keep it stable.  It normally helps stability to target parameters somewhere close to the parameters of freshly mixed saltwater.  That way water changes (even larger ones) don't swing your parameters too wildly in one direction or another.

But if you wish to dose to a level slightly lower than new water levels, that should be fine too.  Try to pick a level and stick with it.  I'm not sure what your corals were reacting to (more water changes, nutrient levels, water clarity, trace elements, or something else).

I use water changes to export organics, not to simply change out water.  However, you may have other goals (like maintaining element levels, or controlling nutrient levels).  You just don't want water changes to swing levels too greatly.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

Hmmm...

Most people will agree that you'd be better off at 1.024, 1.025, or even 1 026.  You'll see some anomalies, but these are typically the norm.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether calcium is 420 or 450.  Just try to keep it stable.  It normally helps stability to target parameters somewhere close to the parameters of freshly mixed saltwater.  That way water changes (even larger ones) don't swing your parameters too wildly in one direction or another.

But if you wish to dose to a level slightly lower than new water levels, that should be fine too.  Try to pick a level and stick with it.  I'm not sure what your corals were reacting to (more water changes, nutrient levels, water clarity, trace elements, or something else).

I use water changes to export organics, not to simply change out water.  However, you may have other goals (like maintaining element levels, or controlling nutrient levels).  You just don't want water changes to swing levels too greatly.

Thank you that’s great advice ! I’m keep my salinity at 1.024 and test my fresh mixed salt water and see what the parameters are an just keep up what I’m doing if my tank is responding good 

• Like 1

Also I do weekly water changes to replenish ca , alk and mag , I don’t have much corals mainly softies and lps well that’s the idea to replenish the elements if my corals I using them small water changes tho every week 5 gal for my 45 gal it’s really only like 30 ish gal because all

the live rock