Pod Your Reef

Homemade AIO plans...acrylic ordered!

NanoRox

The plans and measurements are done.  Almost ready to go to the laser cutter.  Going to make one change and that is to not include a back panel.  I am going to keep the back side open so I can add a light on the back for some chaeto if I decide later.   

This tank is a standard 10 gallon I am converting to an AIO  (less actual volume for corals and fish once converted) and will be used as a display tank for my NanoRox at a local store.  

Im excited because the entire tank will just be NanoRox so instead of having a rock display in the center like you always see it will be all rock ledges around the sides leaving the center open.  

511F521F-6085-4875-97BF-BCDE80E9BDCC.jpeg

• Like 3

With the 10g glass AIOs such as a fusion 10 being $100, is it price efficient to DIY a display tank? After the cost of acrylic. Weld on, laser cutting, etc. 

22 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

With the 10g glass AIOs such as a fusion 10 being $100, is it price efficient to DIY a display tank? After the cost of acrylic. Weld on, laser cutting, etc. 

Acrylic is $12

laser cutting  is free (friend has one)

already have a pump

loc line and connectors $18.

fun of trying a new project - priceless 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sounds neat! You ever thought about doing some sort of insert with your nanorOx? Like a back wall with ledges covered with coral?

Also consider using an aquamaxx instead of a standard? Would be very clean then, cleaner than a IM10g imo (not a fan of black silicone). It might showcase your rOx better.

If you were feeling super dramatic you could have a rOx sticking out of the water with air plants.

Ya I am getting crazy here but if I had the talent to make stuff like you can... lol 🙂  I'd be a bit wild with it.

37 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Sounds neat! You ever thought about doing some sort of insert with your nanorOx? Like a back wall with ledges covered with coral?

Also consider using an aquamaxx instead of a standard? Would be very clean then, cleaner than a IM10g imo (not a fan of black silicone). It might showcase your rOx better.

If you were feeling super dramatic you could have a rOx sticking out of the water with air plants.

Ya I am getting crazy here but if I had the talent to make stuff like you can... lol 🙂  I'd be a bit wild with it.

It’s like you are reading my mind. 🙂  I have been considering tricking  out the back wall and even making a NanoRox like return cover and overflow so nothing shows.  So many possibilities.  I also agree about the pump.  Thinking of a mighty jet From IM so it can also provide some wave motion.  

• Like 1

Ok, plastic ordered.  I have also decided to make a custom top with clear acrylic.  Since the build will be very clean the measurements and cuts are very simple.  I ordered 1/16 and 1/8 inch thick acrylic for the top since I am not sure if the 1/16 will sag.   I am using 1/8 black acrylic for the filter walls/baffles.  I will also make a lid for the filter compartments.  Not sure if I will have left over acrylic for that or need more so will see.  

• Like 1
  • Recommended Discussions