Top Shelf Aquatics

I Want to switch salt ! Thinking Red Sea !

C2 da fish

So I have been using reef crystals to begin my journey but as I have been going to different LFS I have Heard good things about Red Sea Coral Pro Salt , Or Red Sea Salt, also Fritz Aquatics Salt ! Trying to have a mixed reef but mainly softies and LPS “can I just switch salts and not have a bad outcome ?”

I run a mixed reef - SPS, LPS, softies, shrooms & zoas, and I use Fritz. I'm quite pleased with it - mixing the salt is easy, and it doesn't leave residue. I used to use IO before this, and years ago I used RSCP. RSCP is good too, but your Alk levels might be a bit too high and for me, it did leave a bit of residue after mixing. Not sure if I just got a bad batch of it, though. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, patback said:

For mostly softies and lps, I'd stick with reef Crystal's, unless you found something cheaper.  

I don’t mind paying a little more I just want my tank to improve and I keep hearing negative things about instant ocean reef crystals and I have had some issues with water quality and coral being weird that’s why want to change salts 

3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I run a mixed reef - SPS, LPS, softies, shrooms & zoas, and I use Fritz. I'm quite pleased with it - mixing the salt is easy, and it doesn't leave residue. I used to use IO before this, and years ago I used RSCP. RSCP is good too, but your Alk levels might be a bit too high and for me, it did leave a bit of residue after mixing. Not sure if I just got a bad batch of it, though. 

Reef crystals always leaves residue and takes a while to dissolve, 

I use fritz, love it because no residue. One less thing to clean.

Honestly though people have been successful with any brand of salt. None are bad, just different. If salt truly is causing issues, than it is probably the high Alk in it. Perhaps your tank is using it up and generally runs lower and the water change causes a spike. Sometimes high alk + low nutrient can be bad as well. Plenty of higher nutrient SPS keepers have success with reef crystals though.

I really doubt the issue is your salt though, I saw a post you lowered your salinity to 1.023 and such and the LFS fed you a bunch of bullcrap lol sorry that LFS advise was crazy...

That being said, screw cleaning that residue out of my mixing buckets.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I use fritz, love it because no residue. One less thing to clean.

Honestly though people have been successful with any brand of salt. None are bad, just different. If salt truly is causing issues, than it is probably the high Alk in it. Perhaps your tank is using it up and generally runs lower and the water change causes a spike. Sometimes high alk + low nutrient can be bad as well. Plenty of higher nutrient SPS keepers have success with reef crystals though.

That being said, screw cleaning that residue out of my mixing buckets.

What are your parameters using fritz ? Where can you purchase it online ?

Just now, C2 da fish said:

What are your parameters using fritz ? Where can you purchase it online ?

I buy it at my LFS but I think premium aquatics sells it. When I checked mixed to 1.026 salinity: DKH is 7.6, CA 400 Mg 1480 

If you buy the box that comes in one big giant bag... roll the bag around to mix it good before using it the 1st time. 

13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I buy it at my LFS but I think premium aquatics sells it. When I checked mixed to 1.026 salinity: DKH is 7.6, CA 400 Mg 1480 

If you buy the box that comes in one big giant bag... roll the bag around to mix it good before using it the 1st time. 

Im really considering buying fritz and trying it out it’s on sale to on this website 

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/fritzpro-r-p-m-4-bag-salt-mix-box-4x-individual-13-75-lb-bags-makes-200-gallons-fritz-aquatics/

also my salinity is at 1.024 right now going to leave it there or get it to 1.025 with the new salt 

I was Runninf pro by Red Sea but i didn’t like the parameters. Mixing was good but 12dkh wasn’t idea for what I needed. So I switched to tropic Marin pro and dkh is 8. Much happier 

WindyCityReefer.

Like mentioned earlier, your issues with your corals being "weird" is not due to your salt. I would explore other factors - RO/DI water or tap water? Lighting? Current tank parameters? Inhabitants?

Personally I have used both Red Sea Coral Pro and IO reef crystals with great success. I am partial to the reef crystals just due to the price point. If you are planning on dosing any elements into your tank (alkalinity/calcium/mag), the salt you use is irrelevant (outside of having to dose more or less of a particular element). 

Hope this helps! 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

Like mentioned earlier, your issues with your corals being "weird" is not due to your salt. I would explore other factors - RO/DI water or tap water? Lighting? Current tank parameters? Inhabitants?

Personally I have used both Red Sea Coral Pro and IO reef crystals with great success. I am partial to the reef crystals just due to the price point. If you are planning on dosing any elements into your tank (alkalinity/calcium/mag), the salt you use is irrelevant (outside of having to dose more or less of a particular element). 

Hope this helps! 

I use only rodi water tds 0 always but I’m really just trying to have stability and consistency in my tank I feel like I have that right now Barely after like 5 months the up and downs but thanks now that I have more accurate equipment and test kits I do 5 gallon water change a week for 45 gallon tank there’s is only like 30ish gallons of water in there since I have a lot of live rock I know this because I recently moved my tank using 30 gallon trash cans 

I use red sea blue bucket. Love it. I like coral pro besides the high alk.

I have switched salts without issue.

as long as the parameters are close and you don't do large waterchanges, it's safe to just do waterchanges with your new salt. 

• Like 1
WindyCityReefer.
11 minutes ago, C2 da fish said:

I use only rodi water tds 0 always but I’m really just trying to have stability and consistency in my tank I feel like I have that right now Barely after like 5 months the up and downs but thanks now that I have more accurate equipment and test kits I do 5 gallon water change a week for 45 gallon tank there’s is only like 30ish gallons of water in there since I have a lot of live rock I know this because I recently moved my tank using 30 gallon trash cans 

Sounds like you are off to a good start!

The water changes will help a ton. The reef crystals will definitely read higher in terms of the big 3 (alk/calc/mag). Depending on your tank situation this may or may not be a good thing. If you are searching for a quality salt that has values closer to natural sea water, look into the regular instant ocean. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago as well as others across the country use that salt religiously for their exhibits and display systems. If that does not sell you, I do not know what will. 

You also mentioned a recent move too. That can also play a role in why your corals are not doing well. Give things some time to settle down before making huge changes. Patience is key!

Not sure if it matters much in a softie /lps tank but with SPS, high Alk and low nutrients causes RTN in SPS. 

There are many good salt brands. Get whatever mixes clear with no residue , and the parameters you want. 

RSCP was/is popular with tanks that werent /aren’t dosing a 2 part and would rely on WC for the correct levels. Not my favorite approach but there you have it...

I use NeoMarine by Brightwell...  Love the salt, switched from Red Sea Pro (which is also a very good salt), but I like how the NeoMarine mixes a little better and I get more out of the same amount of salt...  For example, if I use 2 cups with Red Sea it would mix exactly 4 gallons, but with NeoMarine I get at least 4 and a half gallons...  My corals have been very happy as well!  It is a little pricy, but I have been able to purchase when its on sale...

Every tank is different, my LPS tank sucks down Alk and I dose to maintain parameters. I have a huge hammer colony that just eats and eats it up. With just small frags early on, you should be fine. Just test your alk after a water change and before the next one and see how much it dropped. It really depends on coralline growth too.

I wouldn't get to crazy about it though, LPS and softy tanks are pretty tolerant and many people run them on just water changes. I certainly wouldn't dose with small frags in a young tank. 

5 hours ago, C2 da fish said:

If I go with Red Sea coral pro will I have a problem with my alk? And mainting soft and lps corals

Every tank is different and they go through consumption changes.

I was dosing 2.5ml every day in my 25g until I rehomed my large birdsnest. Now I only dose 1 time a week.

Through the yrs I have noticed that at times my alk barely moves and other times dosing is required.

I like red sea coral pro salt. I have a mixed reef and my stonies are growing like mad and benefit from the higher alkalinity levels. It's a pricey salt but I can see how it wouldn't be ideal for everyone. Using the standard red sea salt mix might be a better option for your needs.