Top Shelf Aquatics

Time to make the donuts...sort of

NanoRox

I try to make NanaoRox as detailed as possible but maybe even more importantly I want them to benefit our nano and pico tanks just like "real" rock.  That includes making sure they have plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize.  

In these two pics it looks like I am making some sort of failed donut recipe...which is not too far off the mark because like making donuts, I dust each NanoRox with powdered sugar!  Each piece is cast in inert resin, airbrushed with water based acrylic paint and then further sealed in a clear encapsulant or sealant called tarbender (by Smooth-on).  All of these materials are completely inert and reef safe.  Here's the cool part though...about half way through the 16hr curing process, I dust powdered sugar over the rox.  The very small powdered sugar crystals are just heavy enough to leave tiny micro indentations on the surface of the sealant.  Once everything is fully cured, I simply wash off the sugar and voila...NanoRox are ready to show off your corals as well as provide a home for your helpful bacteria.  

I hope you found this interesting.  Let me know if you have any questions and please follow me on Instagram @nanorox1 and my website at www.nanorox.com

powderedsugar1.jpg

powderedsugar2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Real donuts have sprinkles. :angry:

Jokes aside, are theoutside magnets also waterproof and safe for aquariums?  As in, could one be mounted inside the false wall of an all in one or a redsea reefer?

• Like 1
Just now, patback said:

Real donuts have sprinkles. :angry:

Jokes aside, are theoutside magnets also waterproof and safe for aquariums?  As in, could one be mounted inside the false wall of an all in one or a redsea reefer?

Ha yeah well I personally like glazed.  🙂 

yes the magnets are completely reef safe.  The magnet inside the nanorox is completely encased in resin while the outside magnet is coated in plastic.  In fact I use these magnets so NanoRox can be used on the sides and the back wall of an AIO.  Great question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Recommended Discussions