Cultivated Reef

Unknown pest on new chalice coral frag

Adamthrone

Last night my dad noticed a snail looking thing on my new chalice coral frag. I looked at it and came to the conclusion that it was a coral eating nudibranch, so I immediately went to work and got it and the frag out of the tank. After looking at some pictures of coral eating nudibranchs I’m not so sure if it is one, there were also a lot of eggs under the coral so I removed what i think is all of them. I will attach some pictures and if you know what they are or have any suggestions on what to do that would be awesome.

CE06CF68-8C5E-49E1-94FC-64CC28F68AE2.jpeg

F8CD9385-27EA-486E-9C51-322876EF30C1.jpeg

9ED38BBF-8399-4283-9A36-B63E223AA992.jpeg

D6432735-3E8C-4751-A8C7-6D27F1462BB1.jpeg

Any way to get a better picture of the animal itself? I can't get a clear enough view to attempt an ID.

If it is a nudibranch, and it sounds like it is one, it's likely predatory for that type of coral. Dont toss it just yet, though.

• Like 2

Let me ask you this. Do you see any damage to that coral? I can't see any, but that doesnt mean it's not there. If not, have you noticed any problems with other corals in your tank?

Then it's probably feeding on it. However, it's a new coral, so damage isn't unheard of. I'd still hold off on killing it, if possible. Wait to see if more damage occurs, or it heals. Only if possible. 

Nudibranch are really difficult to ID. Best I can tell by the pics provided, is possibly some Flabellina species. But that's really just a guess. What little I read about them, most Flabellina species eat hydroids. So, if you have hydroids, it may just be using the coral as shelter during the day.

Let me amend that last statement. If you, OR THE LFS, have hydroids, it may just be using the coral for shelter. 

That might be something worth checking into. If it turns out to be a hydroid feeder, I'm sure it would be very desirable to many.

Well, they all usually hide their eggs. It's true, they like to lay them near their food source. However, again, it's possible it just layed them under that coral to hide them. 

If you are worried about it, I read an article on, I think reef builders, that had a very interesting way to remove them. Fill up a water pik https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterpik-Ultra-Countertop-Water-Flosser-WP-115-Orchid/56134847?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222228117314096&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=233176139003&wl4=pla-448725381517&wl5=9021459&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=56134847&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiArenfBRCoARIsAFc1FqfSdSflY-mtezpr7Uwn4pvw1TA2fxUlF-ugccxghLgQB9fsPIIRXvIaAjqgEALw_wcB

with salt water and use it like a pressure washer.