Innovative Marine Aquariums

can a single head torch survive polyp bailout?

Recci

My nitrates were reading zero so i started dosing a seachem nitrogen. Must have overdone it a bit and now my torch is coming away from skeleton. The polyp still looks healthy otherwise, has anyone successfully re-glued back to its base or moved onto a frag plug and had it survive?

You can't glue the tissue down to anything. If you are lucky, it will reattach to something and make a comeback. But euphyllia rarely survive polyp bailout.

If the polyp does bail on the skeleton I'd say tuck the skeleton into the back of your scape where it can still get some light.  I've seen euphillia do this before and multiple babies sprout from little more than a "sneeze" of flesh on the skeleton.

15 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

When your nitrates were zero did your corals look stressed or sick?

Yes my sps looked like they were dying, burnt tips and tissue recession from the base etc. It was suggested that my nitrates were to low. 

My params:

alk 10.5

cal 460

mag 1300

nitrate 0

phosphate 0.02

but my alk drops like a lead balloon. i loose somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 dkh a day so have to dose a lot.  I am trying to slowly lower my alk down to 8. 

14 hours ago, Pinner Reef said:

If the polyp does bail on the skeleton I'd say tuck the skeleton into the back of your scape where it can still get some light.  I've seen euphillia do this before and multiple babies sprout from little more than a "sneeze" of flesh on the skeleton.

I dont intend to move it the skeleton

IMG_20181125_144001778.jpg

IMG_20181125_144014523.jpg

I have no answer to the original question about euphyllia polyp bailout.  your tank looked pretty good about month or so ago...

The alk drop seems unusual for a tank with not so many corals. If you wanted the tank with lower alk, why didn't you just dose a little less daily, and let the tank rides its consumption down to where you want to keep it.  

Re: nitrate, instead of piling on the complication of adding nitrate, does your system over-filter the water?  how much chemical absorber do you use?  how much do you feed?  can you use less and/or feed more?  

My alk gets consumed by the ceramic rock. There is an entire thread about this is you search my posts. That's what I am doing I am dosing a little less every day. I may have over skimmed the tank a bit. I only have 3 small fish and mature live rock in with the ceramic uses up the nitrates generated. I feed heavy and dose reef energy and coral food. I have turned the skimmer off for now.  I am setting up a 450 litre tank so a lot of what is in my nano is going to get moved over to that and I plan to rescape the nano after a complete water change. I am stopping dosing red sea foundation and moving to a normal two part. Hopefully i will be able to get the nano stabilised after that.