ReefCleaners.org

Help ID montipora?

RedPhotog

Hello, Happy Thanksgiving! 

Can someone help ID my purple montipora? I was told it was a cap, a plating montipora species. I’m finally seeing some growth after months being in my tank. My alkalinity is finally being used by my coral, I’m seeing fluctuations weekly before water changes. 

Im new to corals, but it kind of looks like it’s encrusting on my rock work. 

CA0E629C-EABF-4EE6-A1D7-2938037D2F2E.jpeg

76AF1C92-6892-4CF4-A90A-7EB2ABB05F17.jpeg

5 minutes ago, RedPhotog said:

Hello, Happy Thanksgiving! 

Can someone help ID my purple montipora? I was told it was a cap, a plating montipora species. I’m finally seeing some growth after months being in my tank. My alkalinity is finally being used by my coral, I’m seeing fluctuations weekly before water changes. 

Im new to corals, but it kind of looks like it’s encrusting on my rock work. 

CA0E629C-EABF-4EE6-A1D7-2938037D2F2E.jpeg

76AF1C92-6892-4CF4-A90A-7EB2ABB05F17.jpeg

That is super blue compared to the rest of your rock work.  What color is the flesh and what color is the polyps? It does look like it is encrusting but depending on how thick a cap is before it is cut, it may be healing over the bare skeleton before it moves outwards. 

On 11/22/2018 at 9:09 AM, patback said:

That is super blue compared to the rest of your rock work.  What color is the flesh and what color is the polyps? It does look like it is encrusting but depending on how thick a cap is before it is cut, it may be healing over the bare skeleton before it moves outwards. 

The flesh is purple under white light, but blue under actinic. The polyps are darker than the flesh. Purple to dark purple. Very fuzzy coral when it was first fragged and put in my tank for months, but now that I’m seeing the encrusting growth the polyps aren’t as prevelant as before. 

I think youre right, the flesh seems to be healing over sides. I imagined capping species going out and up into a disc like I’ve seen in pics or nature.