Jump to content
smiz

Smiz's Mini Complete Tank

Recommended Posts

Arquisto

Man I have so much to learn from all of you. Hoping the stock lights will do for now.. luckily if i ever have to leave for a while its small enough i can just bring it back to the local frag store :).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
smiz

Sexy shrimp have arrived! Now it’s a party. 

 

55862F6A-5771-4351-90BD-3DEA6B49F44D.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, smiz said:

Sexy shrimp have arrived! Now it’s a party. 

 

55862F6A-5771-4351-90BD-3DEA6B49F44D.jpeg

Nice!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

Oooh nice! I like those mushrooms too. 

Are you doing 100% water changes? I'm debating on just dumping out the sump which would be about 40% vs the entire tank weekly. 

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
2 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Oooh nice! I like those mushrooms too. 

Are you doing 100% water changes? I'm debating on just dumping out the sump which would be about 40% vs the entire tank weekly. 

So far I’m doing 100% changes

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Nearlysquid

Tried my hand at the flow mod today, I seem to be getting some leaking back down the pump side. Did you have that issue at all?

Share this post


Link to post
smiz
9 hours ago, Nearlysquid said:

Tried my hand at the flow mod today, I seem to be getting some leaking back down the pump side. Did you have that issue at all?

I did. I am going to give it a go without mod for a few days.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:10 PM, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Oooh nice! I like those mushrooms too. 

Are you doing 100% water changes? I'm debating on just dumping out the sump which would be about 40% vs the entire tank weekly. 

I haven't done a water change yet....... 😑

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
59 minutes ago, smiz said:

I did. I am going to give it a go without mod for a few days.

I haven't done a water change yet....... 😑

Without the mod, flow is basically non-existent. Copepods are running amuck in mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Nearlysquid

If I figure out a way to get it to stop leaking I’ll let you know. As it is currently it won’t even go down the overflow because it is leaking out so much. I’d say just glue it closed but then I’d never get detached from the sump.

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
16 minutes ago, Nearlysquid said:

If I figure out a way to get it to stop leaking I’ll let you know. As it is currently it won’t even go down the overflow because it is leaking out so much. I’d say just glue it closed but then I’d never get detached from the sump.

Think maybe the sump has too much water? Or maybe the tank isn't seated all the way?

Mine has to be finagled into the seat just right every time it moves it seems. 

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00
23 minutes ago, Nearlysquid said:

If I figure out a way to get it to stop leaking I’ll let you know. As it is currently it won’t even go down the overflow because it is leaking out so much. I’d say just glue it closed but then I’d never get detached from the sump.

Can I get a pic / video of this

Share this post


Link to post
Nearlysquid
54 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

Think maybe the sump has too much water? Or maybe the tank isn't seated all the way?

Mine has to be finagled into the seat just right every time it moves it seems. 

It’s not that it is leaking out of the tank, it is leaking back down the hole where the pump connects to the tank. If I set it up normally it fills properly. The tank is seated all the way in when this is happening.

 

56 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Can I get a pic / video of this

I’ll put one up tonight when I’m back from work.

Share this post


Link to post
Nearlysquid

Tried this again with the tube running through the hole instead of stopping above it, same issue persists. It's hard to really show what is happening but I have made sure that the water in the video isn't coming from the pump, it is coming from above. I have tried this with the pump connector inside the tank, outside the tank, and now with the tube running through, but nothing seems to make a good enough seal to stop this from happening. Any idea on what else I could try here?

Share this post


Link to post
hayseed777

Teflon tape?

Share this post


Link to post
smiz

This is for sure the culprit of my leaking issue. The water was flowing back into that chamber, and flowing close enough to the edge to leak out. Just removed my modification for now. will have to laser cut a piece to hold the tubing and block more water from back filling.

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00

When I get my tank back I will see what I can come up with as well

Share this post


Link to post
smiz

my biggest issue is figuring out how to many top off. I don't mind manually doing it but I need to create something to show sump water lines. Smart guys go go go.......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00
10 minutes ago, smiz said:

my biggest issue is figuring out how to many top off. I don't mind manually doing it but I need to create something to show sump water lines. Smart guys go go go.......

You want one of my float switches ? I have extra.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
11 minutes ago, smiz said:

my biggest issue is figuring out how to many top off. I don't mind manually doing it but I need to create something to show sump water lines. Smart guys go go go.......

I just tip the tank, look in to verify the level and then I use a tiny funnel to pour water down the back of the display. 

 

You guys make this shit too hard. 🙄😂

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
jbb_00
14 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I just tip the tank, look in to verify the level and then I use a tiny funnel to pour water down the back of the display. 

 

You guys make this shit too hard. 🙄😂

I had to do something as I am away on work for 5 days at a time. So I made it hard on myself just by buying the darn thing.  :lol:

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
15 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I just tip the tank, look in to verify the level and then I use a tiny funnel to pour water down the back of the display. 

 

You guys make this shit too hard. 🙄😂

Exactly!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
Just now, jbb_00 said:

I had to do something as I am away on work for 5 days at a time. So I made it hard on myself just by buying the darn thing.  :lol:

 

 

 

 

Ok. You have an excuse. Proceed. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Friendly
1 hour ago, smiz said:

my biggest issue is figuring out how to many top off. I don't mind manually doing it but I need to create something to show sump water lines. Smart guys go go go.......

I was thinking about this and think you'd have to cut a hole (well, a vertical strip actually) in the stump and then seal it with a piece of clear acrylic. then you'll have a visual representation of the water level in the sump without having to dismantle anything. depending on the ambient light around the tank, you may need something inside the sump to illuminate enough if there are shadows that hinder accurate readings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Nearlysquid
On 1/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, hayseed777 said:

Teflon tape?

So far this has been the best result! It isn't perfect, still a drop occasionally, but nearly fixed. I'm not sure how this will work long term with taking the tank off and putting it back on, but for the time being it is something.

 

Right now mine is set up with my airline running through the hole, connecting to the pump connector in the sump instead. I just wrapped the airline tubing in a ton of tape. Let me know if you guys figure out something more permanent though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...