SaltCritters.com

Smiz's Mini Complete Tank

smiz

54 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

The green star polyp kingdom! 😆

Congrats on getting it up and running @smiz!

Thanks! Still needs a bit of work to become a true reef tank but were are getting there! hopefully it survives the extended holiday!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I was gone for 10 days and in that period it looks like the sump was about half full when returning. Salinity was at 1.030 but everything was open. 

So far here are my major issues that need to be addressed. 

1. Evap. - Need to modify the sump so that I can tell the water level with out taking the tank off. 

2. Light intensity - The light has four settings, low, medium, high, and strobe. The light is on a timer and when it comes back on it defaults at the low setting. I think if I rewire the light I can have it stay on the high setting (someone else please figure this out LOL).

44A8A99C-6D89-487D-AECF-398A697D97A2.jpeg

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, Arquisto said:

Same things I noticed and will need a fix for too. Hoping someone will save us with that light modification since I don't know how to... Maybe @jbb_00 can rescue us!

If it's anything like the freshwater light then there isn't anything to rewire. 

20190103_172233.thumb.jpg.c388d35f336b41ca644f64ce886847c0.jpg

20190103_172241.thumb.jpg.3de0840652272fb6b80c26b46c14f195.jpg

• Sad 1

I would always vote for DIY !!! I mean StevesLeds has Semi Royals and Neutrals for .99 each,which would be perfect for these tanks. 

You could always use 2 royals,1 neutral,1 violet and run one of steves super cheap but drivers or get 2 moonlight drivers from RapidLed for $10 each. And then some heatsink ?! 

I have never DIY but w/e.. I am going to... 

Anyone know if they make single mint led yet? 2 RB + Mint 

Edit: this? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumileds/L1CU-MNT1000000000?qs=%2fha2pyFaduis7pM8Z%2fvCZY2Kku5Yc55xB8NvvbcF0LlSjng66n7SISb3cmuOejv6

5 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Blueacro half mega 20 looks nice 

That's not cheap! lol 🙂 seems powerful as hell... got to dim that sucker! 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have never DIY but w/e.. I am going to... 

Anyone know if they make single mint led yet? 2 RB + Mint 

Edit: this? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumileds/L1CU-MNT1000000000?qs=%2fha2pyFaduis7pM8Z%2fvCZY2Kku5Yc55xB8NvvbcF0LlSjng66n7SISb3cmuOejv6

That's not cheap! lol 🙂 seems powerful as hell... got to dim that sucker! 

Yes,StevesLeds carries Lux C Mint,for $2.**. I use 2 of them in my array meow. 

• Like 1

Yassss !!! I run one on my blue channel and my white channel. The blue channel one is coming out,I just have to figure out what to replace it with. It just brightens up wayyyyy too much. But on the white channel,I REALLY REALLY like it. 

Dimmer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8KTXNU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AMRKIIKW22PW7&psc=1

Driver: (wired 700): https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/mean-well-ldd-h-series-cc-step-down-mode

Heat Sink: ??? Idk need to look for something not atrociously big

Led: Luxeon C Mint x1 and Luxeon ES Royal Blue x2

Wire

Thermal paste

12v power supply - maybe can use one from something else I have

Fan (may not be needed)

Did i miss anything?

I don't think you missed anything. Heatsinkusa has some nice heatsinks,shipping is pretty pricey though. Steve's has some good heatsinks,or maybe see if HomeDepot has some nice hefty maybe 1" aluminum c-channel. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I don't think you missed anything. Heatsinkusa has some nice heatsinks,shipping is pretty pricey though. Steve's has some good heatsinks,or maybe see if HomeDepot has some nice hefty maybe 1" aluminum c-channel. 

ooo oh ya I used heatsinkusa on my nano-box custom light and really liked it. Dave said the heatsink was so good I didn't need fans and its been running fanless for years now. Maybe I could get away with no fan with one of theirs? 

Otherwise that aluminum tubing looks nice on steve LED and simple but thinking it needs a fan?

I don't think so. If you end up needing one,what is it to turn the light down and wait until a fan comes in. I don't see you needing to turn it past 50% (what are you using the light on ?) If you are putting it over one of these. 

• Like 1
Just now, Reefkid88 said:

I don't think so. If you end up needing one,what is it to turn the light down and wait until a fan comes in. I don't see you needing to turn it past 50% (what are you using the light on ?) If you are putting it over one of these. 

Thanks, I could always just do a USB fan too and plug it in to the phone charger thing I will have to use for the pump anywho. 

Just now, Tamberav said:

Thanks, I could always just do a USB fan too and plug it in to the phone charger thing I will have to use for the pump anywho. 

I think i have some small fans if you need one

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

That would be perfect !!! 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I think i have some small fans if you need one

Thank you. I will let ya know... I may take you up on that.

Ordered the dimmer already....since it'll take 1000 years to get here and figure out the rest once I go through my junk and see if I have a power supply and thermal paste. 

@nanobox thoughts on rb + rb + mint? rb + rb + nw? rb + rb + lime?

Curious if the color would be attractive with them not being individually dimmable. Guess I could buy some extra colors if something looks off.