Coral Vue Hydros

Can my torch handle this hosting?

Daniel91

Like you said, it depends on the individual coral. Some don't mind, others can suffer. So, watch it and if you see any sign of prolonged stress in the torch then intervene.   

My female clown messes with my Duncan all the time, but he doesn't care most of the time. Occasionally hell close up for a minute when she's being really annoying, but then he's open and happy a minute later. 

My clowns have hosted a frogspawn for about 3 yrs.

It was fine until this year. As they are getting more rough with the coral the coral has shrunk and I lost 2 heads. 

I think over time the hosting can effect corals.

Yeah your clowns are going to kill that little torch coral frag. The clownfish are going to constantly "love" that coral; rubbing it's flesh against the sharp skeleton which will kill it. If there are no other fish in the tank and you're light on corals, consider getting a carpet anemone or a big BTA for them to host in. The bigger, the better.

3 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Thanks for the input guys. I do also have a hammer frag that they “love”.

Just as a safety precaution, I’ll be getting a BTA.

Mine are so obsessed with the frogspawn that even if I move it they go where it goes.

😔

4 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

Thanks for the input guys. I do also have a hammer frag that they “love”.

Just as a safety precaution, I’ll be getting a BTA.

So how big is your tank? There’s no guarantee they’ll move into the anemone and leave your torch alone.

Floundering_Around

My clowns have started hosting my goni frag. Goni retracted at first but now doesn't seem to have an issue with it.

If the coral starts closing up all the time, you may have a problem

2 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

It’s a small 10gal tank. I do not mind them hosting it but perhaps a BTA will allow them to allocate “love” elsewhere.

Eitherway, I want a BTA 🙂

I’ve had quite a few BTA’s for the past 2 years.

They grow fast and they can walk all over your tank.

How old is your tank? 

I just took 3 of mine out (splits from the original one)cuz they started to move and to get real close to other corals.

My previous ones actually started walking after lights out and only in the morning I realized my corals got stung pretty badly....

As much as I loved them I had to take them out . 

I see no problem with BTA’s in larger tanks, their own rock kind of setup, but they’re not for small tanks. 

That said, you don’t have to listen to me but at least you heard some of the disadvantages of having one.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Andreww said:

I’ve had quite a few BTA’s for the past 2 years.

They grow fast and they can walk all over your tank.

How old is your tank? 

I just took 3 of mine out (splits from the original one)cuz they started to move and to get real close to other corals.

My previous ones actually started walking after lights out and only in the morning I realized my corals got stung pretty badly....

As much as I loved them I had to take them out . 

I see no problem with BTA’s in larger tanks, their own rock kind of setup, but they’re not for small tanks. 

That said, you don’t have to listen to me but at least you heard some of the disadvantages of having one.

I was considering one myself for my 25g in Hope's the clowns would leave the other corals alone.

All the reasons you listed are why I won't get one. Lol