Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Heeeessss back! A Coastie Story.

Coastie

So after 4 years out of the lower 48 without a tank (thankfully I could go diving to cure that itch!), I am back.  Just transferred to DC and instantly starting looking for a tank.

After a grueling search, I settled on an Innovative Marine 20.

I only went with the 20 because my lease won't allow for anything bigger (sadly my 40 is sitting dry).

Bought the tank yesterday off of a guy on a local forum and leak tested overnight.  All is good!

Tank inhabitants I'm planning to have:

-Clownfish x1

-Shrimp Goby w/ associated shrimp

-Firefish (boring, pretty, and weirdly one of my favorite fish)

- I may end up getting another open swimmer like a gramma or a second clown.  Might also keep as is.

Oh, and probably a little clown goby too. Another fish I'm a huge fan of.

Also going to keep it mixed reef.  Sps, Lps, and softies.

Equipment (for now):

-Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20

-Maxi-Jet 1200 return (came with tank, may swap with a Jebao DC return pump)

-Ebay powerheads (MP-10 may replace these)

-Jager 75W heater

-Mars Aqua 165W light.

-Fiji Pink sand + live rock.

-Stand I built for my 40.

20181120_093823.jpg

• Like 5

I definitely would like to make one as well.  My tank should be ready to stock by then! Hopefully I can pick up something fancy! Planning on taking it slowly this time around.

5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @Coastie! 👋

The IM20 will make for a great system, looking forward to seeing what you create!

Right now I'm real good at making a box of empty but I may toss sand and water in the tank tonight to "cook" while I'm in Kentucky for the holiday.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Coastie said:

So after 4 years out of the lower 48 without a tank (thankfully I could go diving to cure that itch!), I am back.  Just transferred to DC and instantly starting looking for a tank.

After a grueling search, I settled on an Innovative Marine 20.

I only went with the 20 because my lease won't allow for anything bigger (sadly my 40 is sitting dry).

Bought the tank yesterday off of a guy on a local forum and leak tested overnight.  All is good!

Tank inhabitants I'm planning to have:

-Clownfish x1

-Shrimp Goby w/ associated shrimp

-Firefish (boring, pretty, and weirdly one of my favorite fish)

- I may end up getting another open swimmer like a gramma or a second clown.  Might also keep as is.

Oh, and probably a little clown goby too. Another fish I'm a huge fan of.

Also going to keep it mixed reef.  Sps, Lps, and softies.

Equipment (for now):

-Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20

-Maxi-Jet 1200 return (came with tank, may swap with a Jebao DC return pump)

-MP-10

-Jager 100W heater

-Mars Aqua 165W light.

-Fiji Pink sand + live rock.

-Stand I built for my 40.

20181120_093823.jpg

Looks good so far!  That spot is a perfect place for a tank. 😊

Just now, WV Reefer said:

Looks good so far!  That spot is a perfect place for a tank. 😊

So my stand has been there for a week or two before I got the tank..... My wife was upset when I put the tank there because I took away the spot for her purse! Haha

• Haha 1

Nice start ! I have a firefish..really like them too. Mine used to always be out but recently jumped into a acclimation box I had hanging on the tank and now blames me after rescuing him and hides when he sees me. Such a turd.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Nice start ! I have a firefish..really like them too. Mine used to always be out but recently jumped into a acclimation box I had hanging on the tank and now blames me after rescuing him and hides when he sees me. Such a turd.

Wow, Taberav! I actually recognize your screen name from 4 years ago!

You must have commented on one of my tank threads, either that or I'm crazy!

Anyhow thanks! Tank is going to make some quick progress soon I hope! I have been in the planning stages for months now!

Current Status: Need about a gallon more water so the return quits pumping air!  Picking up my Radion this weekend! Just have to get the stand for it.  Sourcing an ATO at this time too.

20181128_070232.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Good to see you back man!

I'm liking your setup ..... a Radion will be nice over that tank 

heyyyyy! Another familiar name!  Howzit?!

It's great to be back.  This spot is begging for the 40 gallon... But rules is rules. So the 20 will do!

I'm tempted to buy the other radion he has too just so when the 40 rolls around I can light it but one will do for now.

• Like 1

Did some aquascaping.... Looks great right?!

Hmmm.... Wonder how my wife is going to feel about the trickling sound.  Personally, I find it soothing!

20181128_160530.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Coastie said:

Did some aquascaping.... Looks great right?!

Hmmm.... Wonder how my wife is going to feel about the trickling sound.  Personally, I find it soothing!

20181128_160530.jpg

Lol, shes going to hate it.

4 hours ago, Coastie said:

heyyyyy! Another familiar name!  Howzit?!

It's great to be back.  This spot is begging for the 40 gallon... But rules is rules. So the 20 will do!

I'm tempted to buy the other radion he has too just so when the 40 rolls around I can light it but one will do for now.

Can you have 2x 20 gallon tanks? 🙂

6 hours ago, Coastie said:

I like the way you think!

Actually only thing she said about the tank was "ew, it's cloudy!". Nothing said about the noise! Score!!!

Lol........it'll come. 

Major moves on the tank scene!

Light hanging needs to be corrected, it leaves something to be desired....  haha 

Have a tunze inbound and need to get an MP-10!  These eBay pumps are huge in this tank.  They work pretty well though!

IMG-e333685c5ea1852b1a01fb789bf57b1e-V.jpg

Spent the last 3-4 hours troubleshooting my new radion.  Couldn't get ecosmart live to connect.

Turns out I downloaded an old config manager from somewhere.  Newer version worked like a charm.

Now I'm running the LPS schedule despite having no coral in my tank! Haha.  On a serious note, the sense of calm that comes over me from just seeing the moonlights is absurd!

Added some ammonia to test the cycle.

Here's hoping I can request tank inhabitants for Xmas!!!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Coastie said:

Spent the last 3-4 hours troubleshooting my new radion.  Couldn't get ecosmart live to connect.

Turns out I downloaded an old config manager from somewhere.  Newer version worked like a charm.

Now I'm running the LPS schedule despite having no coral in my tank! Haha.  On a serious note, the sense of calm that comes over me from just seeing the moonlights is absurd!

Added some ammonia to test the cycle.

Here's hoping I can request tank inhabitants for Xmas!!!

Looking great, man! 

• 1 month later...

Thanks! (A little late because apparently my last post never went through)

Anyhow a lot has happened to the tank to include a ridiculous cheap frag sale.

So here's an updated picture.

20181230_184131.jpg

And yes, I put Xmas lights around the tank! Haha

• Like 2