Top Shelf Aquatics

Remove BioCube Hood/Replace Light?

Haggai1.5

I started my 14 gallon Coralife BioCUBE on 26 Feb 18.  I have two types of Frogspawn, a Kenya Tree with several frags, a Devil's Hand, and a colony of Zoanthids.  I am thinking about adding one SPS.  Has anyone removed their hood and replaced their lighting? 

Nov_1_2018.jpg

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Remove BioCube Hood/Replace Light?

You should  be fine with your Choice .  Just remember it's better too start off with a lower setting and eventually raise it brighter. I have a biocube 32 and removed the hood long ago. You might want to look into a ato next as evaporation will happen a lot more.

Actually the one I use in my bio cube32  I made it. Jack of all trades....lol No master electrician.  And it uses floats. You want to use the sensor  above your pump in last chamber. Now if your water level is at/on clear glass you can use a optical sensor thru glass and not floats. And for my reservoir I bought a 2 1/2 gal. all clear glass  tank at Petco and never fill it more than gal or two at a time just in case. the bio cube will hold most extra water in case of failure. but over 6 months and works great.  Something like the link will work and you will also need a small pump, a U-tube, maybe hosing. look for a kit and do your research on here, many topics about them.

https://www.marinedepot.com/AutoAqua_Smart_ATO_Micro_Automatic_Top_Off_System_Auto_Top_Off_Units-AutoAqua-CV12118-FIDPAT-vi.html

Also Nice tank....😀Mine Finally back on track after my biopellet reactor did a melt down. Didn't lost any corasl or inverts because of it but boy did I have a algae bloom. My biopellet reactor had a melt down because it was sucking up ato water and crashed the bacteria. 😯

On the 24th of November,  I removed the Biocube’s hood, replacing stock lighting with a Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue. I set the acclimation:  14 days; starting intensity 20%.  Here's the design for the Kessil's bracket:  

fullsizeoutput_5a5d.jpeg

• Like 1
On 11/30/2018 at 5:48 AM, Haggai1.5 said:

Luckie1966, what ATO do you recommend?  Banasophia, I look at you Cube!  WoW!!!!!

Thanks, just saw this. 🙂 

Looking forward to hearing how you like your light upgrade! 

I love my new lighting.  After replacing my stock light with the Kessil 160 and custom bracket, I added a torch, blast, favia, acan, and a candy cane corals.

Dec_B.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

My 14 gallon Biocube had a leak.  Luckily, I discovered a 16 gallon Biocube on Craig's List.  I moved the content of my 14 gallon to the 16 gallon.  Then, I purchased a 16 gallon inTank media basket, running my Kessil 12 hours a day at 8:00 am (0/10), 10:00 am (10/25), 12:00 pm (30/45) 2:00 pm (55/45), 4:00 pm (30/30) and 8:00 pm (0/0) at 85%.  ALL IS WELL!  (I plan to add a Duncan next.). HAPPY NEW YEAR!

01_Jan_19_D.jpg