Coral Vue Hydros

8L Betta Cube

Alx

I've been out the hobby 12 years! So I'm back with a pico! I've upgraded the pump to a 404. Plus I've added an additional 404.

I've also ordered a 4 channel led unit. 

Added and ato too.

I'm using clear fx pro for filtration and filter floss. And obvs live rock. 

Just finished that aquascape which was a challenge! I've made it free standing so I can remove frag rack when needed. 

It's 5L when you include displacement.

20181117_192242.jpg

• Like 6
22 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @Alx, nice little pico tank! The aquascape looks interesting, what all are you planning to keep in your pico reef?

Not sure yet. I would like a yellow or green clown goby and I know it like some zoas. Maybe a few Lps and try a few sps.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, banasophia said:

Wow that looks very cool! Can’t wait to see what you do with it, and how it works with the scape and racks. 🙂 

Thanks. There's so little room I can't get my hand around rocks so I think cleaning will be a challenge! 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Alx said:

I've been out the hobby 12 years! So I'm back with a pico! I've upgraded the pump to a 404. Plus I've added an additional 404.

I've also ordered a 4 channel led unit. 

Added and ato too.

I'm using clear fx pro for filtration and filter floss. And obvs live rock. 

Just finished that aquascape which was a challenge! I've made it free standing so I can remove frag rack when needed. 

It's 5L when you include displacement.

20181117_192242.jpg

Very nice so far! 😊

• Thanks 1

So new light arrived today! Nice spectrum. 4 channels although a bit dodgy.

Pump 2 modified as it wouldn't fit in compartment so casing was removed. This caused issues with too much flow so I've made a restrictor for it. Still needs restricting more!

Also today was day for first water tests now it's been wet for 3 days.

S.g 31ppt

Ph- 7.8

Ammonia- 3ppm

Nitrite-0ppm

Nitrate- 10ppm

20181120_175748.jpg

20181120_184630.jpg

20181120_195117.jpg

20181120_200614.jpg

• Like 1

Day 5- 

S.G- 34ppt

P.h- 7.9

Ammonia- 3ppm 

Nitrite- 0ppm

Nitrate- 0ppm

About 3 days ago I noticed a bristle worm crawl out the rock work, flap about then die. I've left this in the tank as I thought it would help with cycling. Should I take it out now it's release some ammonia? Or wait and see if it spikes a bit more first? 

• 3 weeks later...

Got my first batch of stock yesterday. 
Ultra acan, Duncan, watermelon zoas, yellow goby.

All have ate brine shrimp well but zoas not doing great atm. 

On the look out for small colourful frags. Also might get some gsp to grow over racking. 

Bit of hair algae and diatoms but hoping that will subside over next few weeks. 

What are people's thoughts on continuous water changes? Thinking of setting up a doser to do a 2% change over each day. Also anything else that I could benefit from doing?

20181216_140358.jpg

20181216_162911.jpg

20181216_162924.jpg

• Like 2

Ph 8.4

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

S.g 1.024

Corals and goby eating well. Duncan is growing noticeably already!

Suffering from algae atm. 

Running clear fx pro and 3/4% daily water changes. 

20181219_200854.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rescaped tank as the rock work wasn't working. Was stacked too far near front glass and racking removed. Set up the doser for continuous water changes. Set at 30% over the week (1500ml) 

15462022181784556606084053170380.jpg

• Like 3

I’m liking the new scape. It’s much cleaner looking especially without the egg crating. 

What kind of light is that you are using?  

Can you explain a little more how you set-up the continuous water change? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I’m liking the new scape. It’s much cleaner looking especially without the egg crating. 

What kind of light is that you are using?  

Can you explain a little more how you set-up the continuous water change? 

Thanks, was a good decision, more coral placement with this scape!

The led light is an asta 20. It's 46watts but runs at 12-16watts. 4 controllable channels.

16pcs*3w 

-CH1: 4pcs Blue led; 

-CH2: 4pcs White led; 

-CH3: 4pcs Royal Blue led; 

-CH4: Red+Green+Blue+UV

It's a cheap Chinese light so as to be expected the electronics are duff. My tv remote annoyingly can turn the light off sometimes. 

Also the channels have a life of their own so it's not as adjustable as I'd like.

It seems to be providing the tank with plenty of light so can't complain too Much. I've set the led 4" from waterline and the tank is about 10-11".

So I have a 2 head doser. One takes water (214ml) out of tank and dumps into a 'waste water' container. Then 2mins later the other head takes water from a ' fresh salt water' container and dumps 214ml into tank.

5 mins before this process my ATO timer switches off the ATO so fresh water isnt dumped whilst water change is in progress. ATO timer will then turn back on afterwards.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Your auto water change dosing sounds interesting, I'm interested to see how you like it long term, it has been a curiosity for many hobbyists! I moved your journal into our pico reefs forum 🙂 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Your auto water change dosing sounds interesting, I'm interested to see how you like it long term, it has been a curiosity for many hobbyists! I moved your journal into our pico reefs forum 🙂 

Thanks you. Yes will be better in pico section.

I'm hoping it will work okay. Some might think it's asking for trouble but we will see! If it keeps the hand out the tank and saves a small daily task why not. I'm hoping to just refill and remove containers every 3 weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...