SaltCritters.com

Prime HD Mount Question

shaner014

Hey!

Tried searching to no avail....

Does anyone run there aluminum mount (not the gooseneck) with the in tank plastic portion flipped around to the back? Meaning the aluminum leg of the mount is partially submerged in the water.

I got a used mount, and it was set up this way. The black anodozation is slightly faded. I’m not worried about aesthetics, I’m worried about space in the middle chamber of an AIO vs any potential leaching the metal may cause.

Does anyone have theirs setup this way? 

The instructions that come with the mount show the plastic on the inside and the metal bracket on the outside of the tank...I would venture to say that is how the mount is supposed to be used. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, ksadam said:

The instructions that come with the mount show the plastic on the inside and the metal bracket on the outside of the tank...I would venture to say that is how the mount is supposed to be used. 

Yea I figured as much, but I’m curios if anyone has run theirs this way long term with no ill-effect. 

The trouble is that the mounts are designed to fit on rimless tanks. When putting the mount on a rimmed tank, the light is not secure and will fall over. One solution is to turn the mount backwards, as you have done, and is not recommended. What I did was cut a small piece of PVC pipe that I could place inside the tank to act a a spacer. This goes between the the glass and the mount. By using this spacer, I am able to secure the mount to the rimmed tank AND keep the aluminum out of the tank.

I haven't mounted it to anything yet. I have an AIO rimless tank en route. My concern is the space the black plastic chunk of the mount takes up from a chamber.