Cultivated Reef

20G High - Moving Tragedy

Wingsong

The good times are back and I hope they stay! Daisy and her hand-sitting friend are doing good, I got 4 RFAs on Friday from Salt Critters, and the quarantine tank has a new temporary resident.

20190927_164325.thumb.jpg.ecf2a9551bb4cd74c8000078b9057b89.jpg

Because, of course, Daisy loves attention, she photobombs. The yellow/orange center RFA (bottom left, next to the big green-yellow one) is why I placed the order ,just couldn't resist. Also got a blueish pinstripe, a rainbow pinstripe, and a... blue and yellow pinstripe. That one is hard to describe. They settled in great, only moved an inch or less each. Going forward I definitely intend to get more RFAs to add to RFA island. I am really glad they all seem to be content where they are, most haven't moved around much. 

I like SaltCritters because if you don't care about names, you can get some great deals. You may not know the trade name but their free shipping cap is pretty low and I don't feel like their WYSIWYG photos are doctored (as some are to amp up the color). Do mine look a bit different, sure, because I have different lights. But I am overall pleased.

20190927_164352.thumb.jpg.e92e63c58134e22f0530fdc8c5fa1bee.jpg

Find the goby! Hint: he's on his home rock.

Now... I made a bad decision for my wallet. The LFS I bought Daisy from got a new batch of Sea and Reef clowns, including black misbar longfins... I don't see them on S&R's website so I didn't know they were a thing! I don't think they had as expansive fins as Daisy does, she has very long transparent fins, but I took a looksie nonetheless.

20190928_151343.thumb.jpg.abc0419d5aa14002227ce1000965f592.jpg

Sigh. This little one was more than Daisy. Apparently the longfin clowns are not a particularly hot commodity in my area - I'm the only person they had interested in these. Probably because $100+ is a lot for "just a clownfish" and if you have a pair already you can't very well add more clowns.

The one thing I am concerned about is this clown is a fair bit bigger than Daisy's old mate was, so I am worried it's transitioning to be a female. It's spending a week in quarantine and then if all is well, joining the main tank. It was a lot bolder than Daisy was in the clown group tank, but she is larger and presumably older, so we will see how it goes. I hope I don't have to return it and it accepts its life as a 'him' without too much struggle, but you can never really be sure.

20190928_151341.thumb.jpg.2817de6dfed73cf7ff2743fcd30f5cea.jpg

Not the greatest pics (what bag pics are? lol) but you can see Daisy in the background peering on. She's a very curious girl!

Also stopped at the FW store and got more pygmy cories now that it's been a few weeks with the other 6 in there. Wanted to amp up my group size so they could shoal easier, but you can't move too fast!

Wish me luck with Daisy and her new longfinned friend. I liked the misbar pattern on this one, they had another that was slightly smaller but lacked the third white strip.

I also put in an order request for a CB Yellow Watchman Goby next time they order from ORA, no rush on it, so whenever that fella comes in, the QT tank will get another new visitor. These 4 will probably be it for fish stock for me for a while/the life of the 20g, assuming the new clown and Watchman take. I don't want to push my capacity too much since clowns are piggie eaters. We'll see where things take me, but for now, I'll be focusing on more Euphylia and RFAs.

• Like 1