Slim64684

Slims 20 long

10 minutes ago, Slim64684 said:

Still don't see a drop in nitrite but nitrate is up to 20ppm so I know my cycle is still progressing. Also with all the extra surface agitation caused by the powerhead and the slight bump in temp (seeing a solid 76.8-77°F now) I'm losing close to a gallon of water every 3 days. Might be time to invest in an ato.  If I do it will more than likely be a diy project as i enjoy those kinds of things. 

I can't wait to get my ATO on my tank going to install it on the display for now until I get my sump up and running.

This is my design for an ato/ water change level set.20181207_182524.thumb.jpg.9ff837cb8aebec223e483832d81b6b92.jpgUsing 2 relays and 2 float switches i can keep my top off pump from running dry as both floats are connected in series so both have to be closed to run the top off but i can also plug my water change pump into the second relay and use only the display float to set my level. With the parts i have laying around and about $40 in new parts (minus an ato resivour) i can get this done.

• Like 2

I think this thread could use some life so here we go.....20181209_143015.thumb.jpg.d7e2cfadd25b27c6e4aeea176c83aeb1.jpgIm currently battling a some hair algae but its getting better.

And just because I'm always intrigued by "in stand" pics I'll throw this in too.20181209_143139.thumb.jpg.8b85422d86f7b9427279833e6d56439a.jpgSorry about the glare on the right side, but we can't always control the sun.

And to get back on topic i turned the light on on the 20 just to check timers. I'll turn it back off tomorrow, I really don't like to battle algae.

• Like 1

I hear ya on the algae battles. I think i figured out the source in my tank. Good luck getting down to the bottom of yours.

Pretty sure it was excess light. There was a 18 foot covered deck out the doors right by the tank and i enlarged the deck and removed the roof allowing more light in. Boom algae explosion, the side of the tank is now black to block the light and im slowly winning the battle. Adding extra plants didn't hurt either.

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions