Cultivated Reef

Looking for an AIO conversion kit

NanoRox

I am starting a project I am cataloging on Instagram (@nanorox1) where I will be converting a standard 10g tank into an AIO peninsula reef tank.  I can make the conversion myself (have never done it) but am also looking for a pre-made conversion kit.  Anyone know of such a thing? 

I had to make my own for my 5g. Cost me me about $20 with everything (12"x12" sheet of acrylic from amazon,2 1/2" bulkheads,1 loc-line adapter,1 y loc-line socket,2 thread x barb 90's). Everyone (sponsers on here and other forums) quoted me double that. 

Oh and OBD does not do customs AIO conversions now. Thats why I went DIY. Just a heads up if you do, do your overflow side 1 size up from your return. I'm having the issue of the tank filling up and filtration chamber being super low. 

On 11/18/2018 at 11:35 AM, Coastie said:

Fijicube makes some.

https://www.fijicube.com/products/in-sump-10-gallon

They're sold out right now but I believe they had the 20 long ones the other day.  Petco is having a Black Friday sale if you end up swapping tanks to the 20l.

Was thinking of doing this project and contacted Fiji Cube. Was told the 10g model was discontinued. 20g works on a 10g but not along a side wall, so wouldn't work for OP to do a peninsula. 

Dang,that sucks. I mean even if you went with a 12" x 12" sheet,if you could deal with the .5" gap at the top,it would work for $10 on amazon. If you get everything now,it will save you a good amount. 

Funny you should mention itZ  I am making my own.  I have a friend with a laser cutter and we were taking measurements a few days ago.  Regarding the filter chambers.  Currently I have them planned as each 1/3 the toral.  Are you saying one chamber should be bigger? 

Oh nice !!! I wanted a "professional" one but at the same time $40-$60 for $12 worth of acrylic is a absolute ripoff. 

Well,what I learned today my intake side of the filtration needs to be bigger it can't supply the filtration area with enough water. I had to have my DC650 on the forst setting for my levels to be above 3-4". I just cracked the bulkhead loose and leaned it a little forward and it lets more water in. I have the pump full blast and the water level is about 1.5"-2" from the tip of the tank. 

39 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Oh nice !!! I wanted a "professional" one but at the same time $40-$60 for $12 worth of acrylic is a absolute ripoff. 

Well,what I learned today my intake side of the filtration needs to be bigger it can't supply the filtration area with enough water. I had to have my DC650 on the forst setting for my levels to be above 3-4". I just cracked the bulkhead loose and leaned it a little forward and it lets more water in. I have the pump full blast and the water level is about 1.5"-2" from the tip of the tank. 

Ah gotcha.  I am going experiment with the bulkhead placement before I lock everything down.  I will be posting progress in my forum here for NanoRox.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2018 at 6:48 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I wish all products had a mark-up so low....

That pricing absolutely seems fair, by the sounds of it, you’re still having to tweak your design and play around with it to make it work. For something professionally cut and bonded and tested to work? Hell yea I’ll pay for it. 

Now, you may have an abundance of time and enjoy doing the DIY thing, and that’s cool! But don’t claim someone else’s product an absolute rip-off.

15 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

I wish all products had a mark-up so low....

That pricing absolutely seems fair, by the sounds of it, you’re still having to tweak your design and play around with it to make it work. For something professionally cut and bonded and tested to work? Hell yea I’ll pay for it. 

Now, you may have an abundance of time and enjoy doing the DIY thing, and that’s cool! But don’t claim someone else’s product an absolute rip-off.

Haha this guy. No problems here bud,mine has been glued in for over a month. It flow rates I'm having problems with. 

And also,I was not calling the persons product a rip-off,its the price. If I wanted to your lip I would jiggle my zipper. 

8 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Haha this guy. No problems here bud,mine has been glued in for over a month. It flow rates I'm having problems with. 

And also,I was not calling the persons product a rip-off,its the price. If I wanted to your lip I would jiggle my zipper. 

Not a single word of that is worth responding too. Have a nice night kid. 

@NanoRox If/when you add an AIO conversion kit to your product line, most of the consumers here will understand the time/R&D/machinery and all other overhead costs that go in to manufacturing something. Our reef world economies are of very small scale, unfortunately, also. Maybe someday everyone will own a reef? The dream...

I’m sure you’ll price it very competitive, as all your other products are! 

Or maybe you won’t make them at all ::shrugs:: 

@NanoRox Just to clarify,what I said about pricing was not directed at you,whatsoever. It was for people who inflate that heck of prices on products. I have no problem supporting small companies who offer a good product for reasonable prices. 

41 minutes ago, shaner014 said:

@NanoRox If/when you add an AIO conversion kit to your product line, most of the consumers here will understand the time/R&D/machinery and all other overhead costs that go in to manufacturing something. Our reef world economies are of very small scale, unfortunately, also. Maybe someday everyone will own a reef? The dream...

I’m sure you’ll price it very competitive, as all your other products are! 

Or maybe you won’t make them at all ::shrugs:: 

Pricing is a bit of a dance.  if you have any hope to actually sell it wholesale, you need to price things 3 times the cost (minimum) because wholesale is so low.  retailers generally make at least twice the cost of the product wholesale.  It also, as you mention, has to include the amount of work, design, etc that goes into it.  If every product was judged against the supply cost alone, we would all be making our own stuff.  🙂   I am still waiting for the cut acrylic (when you work with a friend you have to be very patient).  Once its cut and the design tested, adjusted and tested again, a final can be made and from that see what kind of pricing I would be looking at.  With plumbing included with the kit, honestly $60 would be a very reasonable price point. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

@NanoRox Just to clarify,what I said about pricing was not directed at you,whatsoever. It was for people who inflate that heck of prices on products. I have no problem supporting small companies who offer a good product for reasonable prices. 

No problem.  I didn't take it that way.  See my reply above as well...explains a little about pricing.  I get it though...being reasonable is very important.  

NuisanceAlgaeCultivator

@NanoRox are you making other sizes at some point or taking custom specs? I literally just started looking at doing an AIO conversion on my 30gal and prices floated around 120.00.

If you’re in the 60 ball park for a 10gal I’m already all ears!

51 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

@NanoRox are you making other sizes at some point or taking custom specs? I literally just started looking at doing an AIO conversion on my 30gal and prices floated around 120.00.

If you’re in the 60 ball park for a 10gal I’m already all ears!

That's the ball park for the 10g BUT I am still testing.  I'm moving rather slowly as I try to develop something that works well (and is consistent) so I can apply it to larger tanks.   The plan, as it is right now, is that the acrylic sides lock in place without any need for glue etc and the entire unit just gets inserted into the standard tank and "anchored" by a magnet(s).  Of course custom nanorox back walls etc would be available as an add-on.  All big plans right now so will have to see what actually works. out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First cuts made.  Goes together pretty well but I do need to make some slight measurements changes.  I did not think about the silicone sealant in the corners of the tank so things are a bit too tight. The center baffles were also supposed to be black and not clear but not a huge issue for now.  I will run some water though it and test the flow and see how that works and then get to work on Version 2.  Getting closer.

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
docshipwreck

@NanoRox I have the @Oceanbox Designs insert for a 20L. its absolutely a top notch product. The tricky part for me was the silicone-ing it in place. The Fiji insert with magnets was intriguing but I worry about build up in the sealed but not completely sealed spots.

I appreciate someone trying to keep bottom line costs down but realize you need to be profitable. I like AIO designs personally so I am definitely interested in what you come up with.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2018 at 6:48 PM, Reefkid88 said:

You don’t seem to understand how pricing/business works. Supply cost $12, sure. An hour of your time, $25. Shipping, $10. Product development? Etc. 

You can buy a sheet of a 12x12 acrylic for $12, correct. But that’s where your logic ends :). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, docshipwreck said:

@NanoRox I have the @Oceanbox Designs insert for a 20L. its absolutely a top notch product. The tricky part for me was the silicone-ing it in place. The Fiji insert with magnets was intriguing but I worry about build up in the sealed but not completely sealed spots.

I appreciate someone trying to keep bottom line costs down but realize you need to be profitable. I like AIO designs personally so I am definitely interested in what you come up with.

my plan is to make this so it will not require any glue, silicone etc.  Currently I am not too concerned with it not being completely flush up against every seam.  If someone wants to silicone it in though they could do that.  

Oceanbox Designs
4 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

You don’t seem to understand how pricing/business works. Supply cost $12, sure. An hour of your time, $25. Shipping, $10. Product development? Etc. 

You can buy a sheet of a 12x12 acrylic for $12, correct. But that’s where your logic ends :). 

That's very true! The reality of it is all behind the scene, things I don't normally published for the world to know such as development/testing process, supplies sourcing, machining cost and time, assembly time, final touch up, packaging and shipping, not to mention paid ads/promo and paid sponsorship (as being a Nano-Reef sponsor). That said, I will gladly work with anyone who can professionally manufactured our AIO kit to our quality standard (not DIY) for $50-60 each completed with loc-line and all black plumbing parts and also be reliable in long term collaboration.

@NanoRox sorry if I'm all up in your business...carry on. Great job so far!

• Like 2