Coral Vue Hydros

GS's evolving nano reef

Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

Hello Nano-reef

I had another thread for this tank, but that ended up being mostly questions from me. This thread will be just pictures and feedback now that this thing is up and running.

Tank started about 1.5 months ago

Equiptment:

Imagitarium 6.8g AIO glass aquarium

Hydor Pico 300gph pump

Hipargero LED

CUC: 

2 Blue leg hermits

1 Astrea Snail

1 Margarita Snail

Coral: 

Xenia

2 Ricordea Florida

Hammer

Torch

Red Zoanthid colony

Hollywood stunner Chalice

Acans

Montipora 

Candy Canes

side.thumb.jpg.a4235c6776227d04455bf0caeb1212fd.jpg

vly.thumb.jpg.69c44d1b38391cd333b76d6e8822f755.jpg

hmrz.thumb.jpg.8f94040be2d76dc0b0e4c78f6443b5dc.jpg

acan.thumb.jpg.dd81c09c414159916e1e849a93ffa88c.jpg

EDIT: FTS after tank transfer 2-15

fts2-15.thumb.jpg.bd69d78d3892a96dda258fcf760b4185.jpg

• Like 8
Gourami Swami
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, Daniel91 said:

Looks really good!

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

I like I like !!! 

Thanks guys for positive vibes

Gourami Swami
31 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Looks very clean!

What setting do you have your light on, by the way? I've got the same light, but no coral yet.

Thanks! Started the light at around 50% to let the corals adjust, have been working my way up, now I run it at 80% most of the time, and turn the whites off for the last hour or so of the day. I am happy with the light, though the touch mechanism is annoying, a couple dimmer knobs would have been much better imo

• Like 1
Gourami Swami

Got a new stand for this tank and a new location in my apt. near a window. So the picture below shows how I keep the algae down from sunlight 🙂

Did some black Friday coral shopping. Once everything is positioned in the tank, will take some new photos!

natty.thumb.jpg.3b58d078188c0c3bf608da101f3fad34.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Gourami Swami

fts12-12.thumb.jpg.2aca43f41a130344edc6af72bb064519.jpg

acans12-12.thumb.jpg.1c3cb42518411d77da135efd6bb5bf2a.jpg

leftrok12-12.thumb.jpg.4f8b933eeea532a7dc35d1eded8a21ea.jpg

12-12.thumb.jpg.46b7d37e225dd279d34e2a9c9c7ce36d.jpg

Update; tank has been doing well so far, 2.5 months old now. Still no fish, I had bought a tailspot blenny 5 or 6 weeks ago from a LFS and it ended up having ich and dying while I set up quarantine tank. So have been letting it go fishless to get rid of any ich, few more weeks to go. Added some corals from @SaltCritters black Friday sale, which I was very happy with. The acans (other than my red colony), yellow zoanthids and Yuma mushroom came from them. The rest of the corals have been growing, xenia split into two and is splitting again, and the hammer has 7 small heads on the branch. Also have a montipora with bright blue shining polyps, which has started to encrust the rock, and a stunner chalice frag which doesn't seem to be growing yet. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 3

What a nice collaboration of species and color - I am a little scared of that xenia (though I love pulsing xenia) - sorry about the tailspot - will be patiently watching this one grow - great job!!

Gourami Swami
3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

What a nice collaboration of species and color - I am a little scared of that xenia (though I love pulsing xenia) - sorry about the tailspot - will be patiently watching this one grow - great job!!

cheers, nice of you to say! 

The xenia is spreading quickly for sure, will have to give half of it away as frags soon or it will take over

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Gourami Swami

Update: got a fish! Tanaka's pygmy wrasse. Had been looking for one for a little while after talking to @Cannedfish about them on instagram. Ended up having to buy one in NJ and take it with me on a bus to DC, but all went well and the wrasse has settled in nicely. He doesn't pause for pictures much, will have to get some good pics of him soon.

For now, here is a full tank video where you can see him zooming around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzF0B_-1Y34

is there a way to embed the video into this post?

• Like 3

Looking very beautiful, glad the new guy is settling in well!

Hey, what's your coral list? I've also got the Hipargero, just trying to get an idea of what it'll support. I don't have any corals yet.

Gourami Swami
5 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Looking very beautiful, glad the new guy is settling in well!

Hey, what's your coral list? I've also got the Hipargero, just trying to get an idea of what it'll support. I don't have any corals yet.

Thanks, I've got ricordias (Yuma and florida), couple types of zoanthid, candy canes, hammer, torch, xenia, bunch of acans (micromussa lord), Hollywood stunner chalice, reverse superman montipora, and a green unknown montipora. Best growth I have seen so far is the rev. superman monti, the xenia (of course- have been fragging it off and it's still taking over) and the zoas. Hammer has grown a good bit too. Everything else seems healthy as well. I have not tried any demanding SPS- but I bet I could if I wanted to, at least front-and-center under the light.

2 hours ago, Dantrasy said:

Very healthy looking. The lighting/camera combo is excellent.

Thanks! I am trying my best, with the whites turned up a bit on the hipargero. Though I want to get one of those gel filters soon to take better photos/video

• Like 2
Gourami Swami
7 hours ago, alpinestar said:

Looks fantastic! I have the hipargero as well, glad to see it is working so well for you.

Thanks! Not the fanciest light, but it does seem to be able to grow coral well, and for the $$ you can't really beat it!

On 12/12/2018 at 7:48 PM, Gourami Swami said:

fts12-12.thumb.jpg.2aca43f41a130344edc6af72bb064519.jpg

I love how everything has a amazing glow and looking crazy in this pic. Especially the Acan's. 

• Like 1
Gourami Swami
3 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

I love how everything has a amazing glow and looking crazy in this pic. Especially the Acan's. 

3 hours ago, xthunt said:

A red firefish would look great in there. Corals looking real happy. 

3 hours ago, DaveMc said:

Awesome looking tank, keep up the great work 😃

Thanks guys!

Another update, I set up a little macroalgae grow box in the back chamber a couple weeks ago, and just today got a small LED light for it. Mainly to give the pods a place to live away from the wrasse, and it might absorb a little nitrate as well. I plan on trimming heavily and often to export nutrients, as it grows. The small LED will be on 24/7, and during the day the hipargero spills a good amount of light back there, so hopefully it grows.

here's what it looks like

fuge.thumb.jpg.1cc6ce964e6592faa37b666b87a53f12.jpg

• Like 4