Innovative Marine Aquariums

What is this on my leathers ?

Joaly

Just now, Joaly said:

I see this small pinkish slimy things that move on the stalk of my leather corals, what are these ? Are they harmful ? 

2A37A17F-4FBA-447D-95F3-465BFFAB98ED.jpeg

My guess would be flatworms.  Some are more harmful than others.  I’d do a quick FW dip and see how many fall off.  I had an Elegance that was covered in them........ did a quick freshwater dunk and they all died and I never saw them again.  

I have little tiny ones that also live on the glass.  They never bother anything and the fish like to eat them.  

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

My guess would be flatworms.  Some are more harmful than others.  I’d do a quick FW dip and see how many fall off.  I had an Elegance that was covered in them........ did a quick freshwater dunk and they all died and I never saw them again.  

I have little tiny ones that also live on the glass.  They never bother anything and the fish like to eat them.  

This^.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Joaly said:

Thanks WV reefer. I can dip one of the leathers as it’s on a separate rock. But the other is attached to a big rock. Not sure if I can that out tho . 

I'd dip the one and determine what flatworm species it is.

Some species are bad and a complete tank treatment is required.

• Like 1
Just now, Joaly said:

Will do , took a better pic of that flatworm as well 

516CF175-A1B8-425D-9C1B-9FED695F6575.png

Definitely flatworm.  

Some do not eat the coral but they block the coral from receiving light.  Dip the easy one first to see how many come off.  Try checking the other Corals and see if you see them anywhere else.   

@Joaly is your tank big enough for a small wrasse?  They are great at picking off small worms.  Not a small species, but I bought a small melenarus for a tank I had a huge flat worm problem with and everything was clean in a couple weeks.  It's an option of you cant dip.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 10:13 AM, patback said:

@Joaly is your tank big enough for a small wrasse?  They are great at picking off small worms.  Not a small species, but I bought a small melenarus for a tank I had a huge flat worm problem with and everything was clean in a couple weeks.  It's an option of you cant dip.

It’s a 10 gallon nano , most of the corals are attached to live rock .