SaltCritters.com

Thank size refugium ratio?

Nebadon

Hello everyone a newbie here.

I have a bio cube 29 laying around and a big refugium that was used in a 150 gallon tank.  I  know the more volume of water on the system, the better. For any chance this could be a problem? Any comment or idea would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you have the room, go for it.  Throw some pods , snails, micro stars and feed them well, then your refugium will become a zooplankton reactor which would live stream food 24/7.  The possibilities of diverse filter feeders would thrive in that enviroment.

9 hours ago, Subsea said:

If you have the room, go for it.  Throw some pods , snails, micro stars and feed them well, then your refugium will become a zooplankton reactor which would live stream food 24/7.  The possibilities of diverse filter feeders would thrive in that enviroment.

Awesome idea, thank you 

7 hours ago, Muraki said:

Lack of nitrates may be a problem. But that is easily remedied. My fuge and display are the same size. : )

Yeah, I thought about that. How did you fixed the low nitrates issue in your tank?

1 hour ago, Nebadon said:

Yeah, I thought about that. How did you fixed the low nitrates issue in your tank?

I have a sump that is 15% larger than my tank and it really sucks up the nitrates in my system. I just feed a lot to keep up, feed all my lps corals daily and dose phytoplankton.

I keep it at 15-20 ppm but if I go on a vaccation and skip feeding they are down to 0 in 4-5 days. I hooked up my phytoplankton to a dosing pump we'll see if that solves it for the next time I leave.

5 hours ago, Sjadet said:

I have a sump that is 15% larger than my tank and it really sucks up the nitrates in my system. I just feed a lot to keep up, feed all my lps corals daily and dose phytoplankton.

I keep it at 15-20 ppm but if I go on a vaccation and skip feeding they are down to 0 in 4-5 days. I hooked up my phytoplankton to a dosing pump we'll see if that solves it for the next time I leave.

Do you have coral and fish?

9 hours ago, Nebadon said:

22 Gallon display 

50 Gallon sump that holds 31+ gallons of water

20 gallons of fuge space in sump

I do fewer water changes and just dose the 3 main elements. I think I went 2 years without a water change. I have pest algae only in my sump, and a nice clean display where i just clean the glass. I feed daily as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you plan on running any other kind of filtration on this system? 

I have a 20L I plan on building a 10g fuge and then a seperate 5.5 gallon sump with a skimmer in it.