Pod Your Reef

Mushrooms are hard to keep?

Roachant

Hi,

I’m a bit confused, after reading about mushroom coral care I came across soooo many people that have had trouble keeping mushrooms coral alive. 

Can anybody share their experiences with them? I was under the impression that they were kind of bullet proof! 

As weird as it sounds, they are one of my favourite corals.

They are easy to keep but if you have high light and very low nutrients it can be an issue.

Most mushrooms don't like high light and low nutrients.

I don't run very high light  and I have to keep my Ricordeas on the sides of the tank where the light is the lowest.

• Like 1
WindyCityReefer.

Clown79 is exactly right - most mushrooms thrive in a medium light, higher nutrient system. While they can be kept outside of their ideal conditions, they won't thrive. 

• Like 1
Gourami Swami

My ricordea are doing great, I have a Hipargero light on 7g, so about medium light. I feed mine pellets as well. I have two and in the past few weeks they seem to have doubled in size. I am a beginner to reefing as well- I would say these are not that hard to keep

• Like 1

My Ricordia floridas grow well, but other types of mushrooms have not done well in my tank, which is generally medium light with high nutrients. I’ve found, however, that since I’ve started dosing iodide and two part in the past few weeks, they seem like they are doing better.