Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Installing live rock with livestock in the aquarium

CoralStorm

i got a 55g tank with 30 pounds of Live Rock and i knew it was not enough so i plan to go get more to put in my tank but i have living thing in it like anemones, coral frags, A school of Chromis, Damselfish,tomato clown, 2 Saddleback clowns, 2 emerald crabs, 8 Blue legged hermits, a cleaner wrasse, a bi-color Blenny, a fire shrimp and skunk cleaner shrimp i don't want to risk killing anything so i want to know if i'ts safe to put live rock directly in the tank with my livestock in it i know it comes with the risk of falling rocks but i'm being extra careful on handling and  them into the water is there any warnings/tips i might want to know before doing this?

If it has been curing for a couple of weeks I wouldn't worry.  If uncured you will want to cure it in a trash can with heat and an airstone until the ammonia spike comes and goes. 

the usual rule is 1 pound per gallon i have 30 pounds and require to have 25 more pounds to have the ''recommended amount'' and overall just want it cause i need place to let my new anemone attach itself on it would also look better

43 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

the usual rule is 1 pound per gallon i have 30 pounds and require to have 25 more pounds to have the ''recommended amount'' and overall just want it cause i need place to let my new anemone attach itself on it would also look better

You've got enough from a bio filtration standpoint.  Anything more is just for aesthetics. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, CoralStorm said:

That's a very old school rule that most don't follow.

The safest practice for adding rock is puttin ot in a bucket of sw with heated and powerhead. Get an ammonia badge, if nothing spikes after a week, it's safe.

• Like 1