Top Shelf Aquatics

ID on a couple frags

Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

Was given some frags by a friend the other day, and two of them, he was not sure the name of. Normally I would not add a coral without knowing it's care; but he was just grabbing free stuff for me from his 180 reef, and I figured worst case I can trade or sell it.

This first one, I believe is a "Hollywood stunner" chalice, but not positive. If it is- I have heard they have quite a sting, as his was huge and had just killed a large favia about 6" away. If I keep the coral small by continually fragging the growth, could I just give it a few inches inbetween other corals? or do they have a long reach even at a small size?

HS.thumb.jpg.40f2373710f15e13b442741fb576209b.jpg

This is the other one- perhaps a montipora?

monti.thumb.jpg.9ae5ca46e3152a0bad7437ae967e3972.jpg

Thanks

Your ID's are good. I can't tell you what type of montipora it is, though. 

As far as the stunner. When I've kept them, I placed them at the base of a rock. That way there wasnt much around them.

Gourami Swami
7 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Your ID's are good. I can't tell you what type of montipora it is, though. 

As far as the stunner. When I've kept them, I placed them at the base of a rock. That way there wasnt much around them.

Cool, thank you! I think I will put the chalice at the top of my rock and let it grow a bit- the bottom of my tank and rockwork has much more it could sting than the top.

Anybody have any ideas what kind of Monti?

• 2 weeks later...

Stunners grow FAST. Just FYI.  I was given a small disc of one that was maybe an inch diameter and in just a few months its like 6 inches across and the sweepers it puts at AT ALL HOURS are just as long.  It also ate a cerith snail that fell on it.  Straight up stung it then digested it right in its shell in a single evening.

Gourami Swami
7 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Stunners grow FAST. Just FYI.  I was given a small disc of one that was maybe an inch diameter and in just a few months its like 6 inches across and the sweepers it puts at AT ALL HOURS are just as long.  It also ate a cerith snail that fell on it.  Straight up stung it then digested it right in its shell in a single evening.

Thanks for the heads up, that's crazy about the snail. So far mine is still a tiny chip of coral; I will probably be getting rid of it when it grows to avoid the aggression.